FPGA for hobbyist ??

Just wondering, does hobbyist with fund less than USD200/month could afford playing with FPGA ?

Is there any link that I can read about it ? (since looks like every FPGA developer is belonging in big company and universities).

I want to know what kind of tools that I need (like the compiler, development board, debugger, etc).

Thus, is there any link to cheap version of it :p (I've read in Altera's page, nothing is below USD200)

Thank you

Reply to
kunil

There is a starting point:

ISE WebPack is free.

-nets

Reply to
nets

One of Altera's HDL toolchain is free, as well.

There's also Icarus Verilog, a part of the GPL'd gEDA toolset.

You don't need to program real FPGAs to learn VHDL or Verilog and use the toolset simulators -- although eventually you'll want to.

In addition to the links above, look at

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Thank you so much for the advise.

I'm a bit crazy about building my own FPGA board. Sounds cool, though I just want it to blink some LEDs :p

BTW, how can I connect the FPGA with external device (LEDs) ?

I have read in

all I need is to put JTAG pin to external header (to Altera's ByteBlaster or other JTAG), put configurator pin to EEPROM, put clock generator in global_clk line, and the rest is my flavor.

Is it correct or do I miss something ? Is there any good reading about how to interface FPGA with external device ?

Most of books/websites that I've read just teaching VHDL/Verilog only.

Reply to
kunil

Check out the app note locatations on both Xilinx and Altera sites. Be prepared for a lot of reading though. Also, consider using a CPLD (eg. coolrunner) instead of an FPGA. The CPLD has onboard memory, so you don't have to worry about external flash memory hookup. They are a little easier to use as well, and you can program them in VHDL & Verilog.

Xilinx :

Altera :

Richard Willis

... try this:

Regards Adam Przybyla

Reply to
Adam Przybyla

Not that hard. Check out

or
for some easy to use proto boards for surface mount devices (gull wing, of course, not BGA).

Add a chunk of perf board to hold a power connector and JTAG header and you've got a custom dev board.

The best references are the device and family datasheets. In many cases you MUST read the family datasheets for the real info; the individual device sheets don't necessarily reprise all of the family info.

The more complex devices are evolving to service more precise I/O specs than in the good ol' "LS TTL" days. Depending on the device, you may be able to chose I/O voltage, slew rate, impedence, LVDS pairs, much more.

Take a look at "The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGAs" ISBN 0-7506-7604-3.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to