Biden Announces First Moronic Act

al first.

of what they received. At this rate of vaccination, we will still be in loc kdown by the end of the year.

Right, there is no shortage of vaccine, the states can't handle the scaled down vaccination schedule they're doing now. It's still a big unknown, but the studies on the original SARS and MERS tha t have been reviewed show a strong association between initial antibody res ponse and lasting immunity. People with the strongest initial response stil l show immunity 6 years later. People with weaker initial response last may be 2 years. The two 100 ug doses at 3-4 week interval result in a very str ong antibody response following the second dose. The first dose alone doesn 't cut it. The single dose the politicians are proposing will probably resu lt in a reduced effectiveness of 70% instead of 95%, and that effectiveness will degrade towards 0% after 2 years. There's plenty of vaccine to meet demand. The states need to get their act together and do a better job, much better job, of administering it. They al so need to educate the fools that it will take 2 months from vaccination t o achieve the best protection they can get, so it won't be party time yet.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

l first.

Another thing they're not telling people is that the vaccine will not prod uce the same highly efficient targeted immunity in people who have had the infection as in people who never had the infection. So that means by CDC es timates, there are 53 millions Americans on which the vaccine is wasted bec ause the vaccine won't improve their existing immunity. The state health de partments have the names of people who tested positive on file.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Me??? What have I done? The West *is* heavily polarised right now. More than any other time in my life, but it's no fault of mine!

I'm happy to say I mostly agreed with Trump and have few issues with his term in office (other than it rightfully should have been twice as long).

I'm "allowed" to say that? So now I have seek your approval for everything I want to say here? You're starting to sound like Bill!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

As a foreigner you have no business to say anything here on the topic of US politics.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Stop pretending you don't understand what he was saying.

[God am I going to say this? never thought I'd ever defend the prat CD, but here goes...]

Pommy, I think you are being a bit hard there. Sometimes an outsider can give a difficult slant/view. The problem with CD and the other trolls is the very absence of sanity in the views offered. They won't engage. I do sometimes fancifully wonder if they are some sort of AI bot :-)

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Did you read your own post? You divide the world into "leftist, Biden supporter, Democrat" and "right-wing, Trumpist, Republican" and (based on your postings here) see people as being either 100% on one side or

100% on the other side. That is polarised.

No, it is not. The USA is, but not the West in general.

It's hard to say how much you are a culprit, a victim, or a symptom. No doubt some of each.

I am suggesting that you allow yourself to say that kind of thing. More than that, I am suggesting you realise that other people are allowed to do so.

Reply to
David Brown

ical first.

f of what they received. At this rate of vaccination, we will still be in l ockdown by the end of the year.

d down vaccination schedule they're doing now.

Biden is just making non-issue statement of kicking the cans down the line (to the state 'governors) and in the future (at least 2 week later). It's a very safe political statement.

hat have been reviewed show a strong association between initial antibody r esponse and lasting immunity. People with the strongest initial response st ill show immunity 6 years later. People with weaker initial response last m aybe 2 years. The two 100 ug doses at 3-4 week interval result in a very st rong antibody response following the second dose. The first dose alone does n't cut it. The single dose the politicians are proposing will probably res ult in a reduced effectiveness of 70% instead of 95%, and that effectivenes s will degrade towards 0% after 2 years.

t together and do a better job, much better job, of administering it. They also need to educate the fools that it will take 2 months from vaccination to achieve the best protection they can get, so it won't be party time yet.

I would like to see some study of just single dose, with exposure to the re al virus couple of weeks later. If the symptoms are light and recoverable, perhaps it's better than to give them a second dose. Regarding the vaccination delay, it is also possible that they are intentio nally slowing it down to see more data from initial batch of vaccination, a s well as waiting for other vaccines such as J&J and OxAZ.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I'd really like that, I would. But I can't remain silent if Bill's going to continually post misleading nonsense. I feel it's vital to correct him. I hope you'll understand, but if not you can just f*ck off.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think not. You are in the UK, right? You can't deny the animosity between the Leavers and the Remainers left over from the big Brexit debate. That caused a rift that will last for many years to come. Feelings were extremely strong on both sides. You can't tell me that episode hasn't done lasting damage. And the same debate is now raging in other european countries, too. The fact that it goes mostly unreported in the British media doesn't mean it's not going on.

Nope. Still not getting what you're trying to say here. You're obviously too clever for me. ;-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm kind of thinking that unless you're in one of the very highest priority groups such as heads of state, government officials or refugees (no kidding - in Germany right now) you will most likely contract the virus long before you get your shot (or at least the full protection conferred by the shot after several wee ks). The sooner we resign ourselves to that uncomforatable little fact, the better.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

From the UK, but not in the UK. (John Doe doesn't get much right, but I do live in Norway.)

Yes, certainly - there is a big divide there. But it is mostly just that - it doesn't permeate the whole society in the way that the left/right divide seems to do in a the USA. You can be a "leaver" or a "remainer", and vote Tory, Labour, Green, Monster Raving Loonie or whatever you like. It is largely independent of other politics, job, income, age, religion, and any other factor you'd like to pick. (There is some correlation in the factors, but they are not nearly as clear-cut as in the USA.) And they don't divide society to anything like the same extent.

And the rift is closing - it is not widening. Part of that, perhaps, is that the people on the losing side are fully aware that the decision is not going to be reversed in 4 years time - the UK has left the EU, and while it is regretful you just have to make the best of it.

I get other media than the British ones. Disagreements about the EU have existed for as long as the EU - no one is in any doubt that there is plenty wrong with it, and that some people in it want their country to leave. In the core countries of the EU, however, no one is in any doubt that the majority want to stay because they see the EU as being more good than bad.

The areas were anti-EU sentiment is higher are in the east of Europe - where there is an increase in the fascism and right-wing politics, and people who dislike the EU insisting on things like human rights. These are a minority - a vocal minority, and a concerning minority, but a minority none the less. And their countries' leaders know fine that they can't afford to leave the EU.

I'll agree with you to the extent that extremism is rising in some countries in the west - but not that the west in general is heavily polarised.

I am suggesting you stop trying to divide people into two groups, and stop thinking that this grouping defines peoples' opinions on all issues.

Reply to
David Brown

People who act on principles are all alike. Those principles are the 'entities who controlled' until Trump.

Reply to
whit3rd

rical first.

lf of what they received. At this rate of vaccination, we will still be in lockdown by the end of the year.

ed down vaccination schedule they're doing now.

that have been reviewed show a strong association between initial antibody response and lasting immunity. People with the strongest initial response s till show immunity 6 years later. People with weaker initial response last maybe 2 years. The two 100 ug doses at 3-4 week interval result in a very s trong antibody response following the second dose. The first dose alone doe sn't cut it. The single dose the politicians are proposing will probably re sult in a reduced effectiveness of 70% instead of 95%, and that effectivene ss will degrade towards 0% after 2 years.

The politicians aren't proposing a single dose. What they are proposing to do is to stretching the gap between the first and second doses to the maxim um tested in the phase 3 trials.

ct together and do a better job, much better job, of administering it. They also need to educate the fools that it will take 2 months from vaccination to achieve the best protection they can get, so it won't be party time yet .

ity groups such as heads of state, government officials or refugees (no ki dding - in Germany right now) you will most likely contract the virus long before you get your shot (or at least the full protection conferred by th e shot after several wee ks). The sooner we resign ourselves to that uncomf ortable little fact, the better.

It isn't any kind of fact. It's just one more figment of Cursitor Doom's ma licious imagination.

Most of the modelling that tried to work out how long it would take to get to herd immunity by letting most people get infected, get sick and either die or survive with immunity figured that it would take several years (and lot more deaths than we have seen so far). The vaccines are now being produ ced in the sort of volume that should allow vaccine induced herd immunity w ithin a year.

Giving them to people who are most susceptible to getting infected, and pas sing it on to others (like refugees living in crowded accommodation) is per fectly sensible.

Cursitor Doom isn't.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

orical first.

alf of what they received. At this rate of vaccination, we will still be in lockdown by the end of the year.

[...]

The kind of testing and scale of testing for that kind of study costs WAY more than giving them the second dose. This whole dose adjustment thing is coming from blue state politicians trying to excuse the unsatisfactory perf ormance of their workforce.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

[...]

The Queen was just vaccinated and they're not saying which one it was- mea ning it was not the Oxford vaccine.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

:

torical first.

half of what they received. At this rate of vaccination, we will still be i n lockdown by the end of the year.

aled down vaccination schedule they're doing now.

S that have been reviewed show a strong association between initial antibod y response and lasting immunity. People with the strongest initial response still show immunity 6 years later. People with weaker initial response las t maybe 2 years. The two 100 ug doses at 3-4 week interval result in a very strong antibody response following the second dose. The first dose alone d oesn't cut it. The single dose the politicians are proposing will probably result in a reduced effectiveness of 70% instead of 95%, and that effective ness will degrade towards 0% after 2 years.

o do is to stretching the gap between the first and second doses to the max imum tested in the phase 3 trials.

There was no such testing.

act together and do a better job, much better job, of administering it. Th ey also need to educate the fools that it will take 2 months from vaccinati on to achieve the best protection they can get, so it won't be party time y et.

rity groups such as heads of state, government officials or refugees (no ki dding - in Germany right now) you will most likely contract the virus long before you get your shot (or at least the full protection conferred by the shot after several wee ks). The sooner we resign ourselves to that uncomfor table little fact, the better.

malicious imagination.

t to herd immunity by letting most people get infected, get sick and either die or survive with immunity figured that it would take several years (and lot more deaths than we have seen so far). The vaccines are now being prod uced in the sort of volume that should allow vaccine induced herd immunity within a year.

assing it on to others (like refugees living in crowded accommodation) is p erfectly sensible.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

If they're saying "The Queen" by itself then it's the Queen of England. If it's the Queen of the Netherlands or some other monarchy they'll state that fully.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

e:

[...]

I meant they weren't saying which vaccine it was e.g. Pfizer, Moderna, Asta rZeneca. The story is accompanied by photograph of the Queen, so no uncert ainty about that. I'm guessing she was vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That seems unlikely. The last person to hold the title "Queen of England" was Queen Anne, who died in 1714.

Perhaps you mean the Queen of the United Kingdom? Some people who don't understand the makeup of the UK get these things confused.

(To be fair, the makeup of the UK is pretty complicated - and Queen Elizabeth II's full titles are extensive. But "Queen of England" is not amongst them.)

Reply to
David Brown

[...]

For people at the end of the line of eligibility and third world countries, it might be worth a shot. Hopefully, the initial shot triggers protections of vital organs, but the vaccine is never like the real thing. Antibody c an break down the real virus and offer better protection down the line.

Reply to
Ed Lee