Old PI - No ACT light

Yesterday my PI was working fine. Today I couldn't SSH to it. Checking the
LEDs I see only PWR is on, no ACT even after restart.

I read online it could be a malfunctioning SD card. So I used another card
used the GUI installer to install Raspbian. Inserted into PI and restarted,
again no ACT and nothing on the monitor.

Could the SD card hardware be the issue? Anyone see this before?

TIA,
RenMas

Re: Old PI - No ACT light

The part that I have seen is a RasPi that appeared dead (so dead that I
put it ready to recycle with the other electronic waste), though the SD
card was still fully readable elsewhere.  On a whim I decided to try it
again with a different SD card.  Lo and behold, it lives again.

David

Re: Old PI - No ACT light
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 08:47:12 +1300,

Could be.
Or a capacitor in the power supply blew up.
Try with another power supply.
Kees Nuyt

Re: Old PI - No ACT light
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 08:47:12 +1300,

Anecdotal, I know but I would suggest testing or swopping out the
power supply, in five years and several pi's I have had two Raspberry
branded power supplies fail, one with a dead electrolytic capacitor
fixed with a new capacitor soldered in and the other with an
undiscovered fault.

Re: Old PI - No ACT light
snipped-for-privacy@f317.n49.z1.binkp.net says...

I saw one with those symptoms recently, AFAIR. Do you have a voltmeter?
Check whether there's anything on the 3V3 pin on the GPIO.

I don't know how it got into that state, but I conjecture that someone
had shorted something and blown the 3V3 regulator on the RPi.

John

Site Timeline