Backlighting an LCD with EL

Let me start by saying I'm sorry for posting something about gear modification in "design", but this is mainly about electrical interference.

I'm trying to install an electroluminescent panel (link1) behind the LCD in my TR-707 drum machine (pic1,pic2). I have tried other EL panels with the same results.

I can get the panel in there and power it with an inverter (link2) with no problem (pic3).

However, the mere presence of the EL seems to be interfering with the LCD, even with the inverter removed, and causing it to be extremely dim (pic4).

Using a plastic insulator, I have ruled out accidental shorting of the EL leads to both the LCD (pic5), although the glass on the reverse side should be preventing that anyway, as well as the LCD controller board behind it (pic6). I have also ruled out the possibility that the EL is not as reflective as the reflector that originally came in the unit (pic7), because the LCD still runs at full brightness with /nothing/ between it and the controller board.

If anyone with knowledge of the nature of electroluminescent panels could offer some insight, that'd be great. I know that EL is essentially a capacitor, and I was considering the possibility that the capacitance was coupling the LCD to the controller board, causing parasitic power loss; then again, that sounds kinda silly to me. :-P

Be glad to answer any questions or offer other photos to anyone with ideas as to what might be the problem.

Thanks for reading!

-Drew

------------------------------ (link1):

,_USED_.html