Replacing EL backlit LCD with LED backlit LCD

One of the panels on the bridge has an EL backlit LCD. The backlight on this unit fades badly over time and the inverter is also prone to failure, so I sometimes need to fix them. Not only that, but EL backlit LCDs seem to be getting hard to find, and in particular the LCD module used in this unit is now almost impossible to find.

So I'm thinking maybe I could start using LED backlit LCDs, which are much easier to find. The inverter for the original LCD takes

5V dc input and produces 100V ac at 400Hz. I'm thinking I could just bypass the inverter altogether and route its 5V dc input directly to the LED backlight.

Is this a reasonable plan?

Would I need to worry about the LED backlight drawing too much power?

Kirk out ...

Reply to
Jim T. Kirk

Ask Scotty to fix it. Don't bother Doctor McCoy, he'll just tell you, "Dammit Jim! I'm not an engineer!"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida