LCD computer display backlighting

I have a Dell LCD monitor where the back lighting has quit. With the right lighting I can still make out the screen so the digital display seems fine, just no back lighting. Any one have any experience with one of these, Dell specific or generic. I looked through the SamG faq's but nothing jumped out at me. Thanks

tomh

Reply to
Tom Hotaling

Dell normaly does not sell service parts to no authorised service reps for their products. There are no published service manuals for these monitors that are able to be purchased by their non authorized service reps.

Common causes are the back plane lamps, and their ballast supply. It is recomended practice to change the lamps and ballast at the same time.

If you call Dell they will tell you where to send the monitor for proper service. Most of these monitors are sold with a three year pro-rated warranty. You should enquire about this.

There are no generic parts that I know of.

Some of the lower end monitors have the back light system built in to the display, and are not serviceable. In this case the complete panel has to be replaced.

We found that in most cases, when there were failures in these monitors when out of warranty, it was more feasible to replace the monitor.

Jerry G. ======

Tom Hotal> I have a Dell LCD monitor where the back lighting has quit. With the

Reply to
Jerry G.

Surface mount fuses ( often 2A ) fail on inverter boards for no good reason. Driver chips and drive transistors fail. CCFLs fail, though usually just one, but some inverters will shut down with one tube failed. Tubes are available on the net, as are inverter boards, but original problem can often be fixed. Look for the fuse first. You might strike lucky.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:IAJhg.14047$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

If it turns out you need to replace the lamps and/or the inverter, look here for DIY info:

There are also companies that will replace the parts for you, such as:

(Disclaimer: I haven't done business with any of these companies.)

Reply to
Jim Land

Thanks all for the tips/advice. This was a freebe I got from a friend and it's old enough to be out of warranty. I got it to tinker with. I'll look for blown fuses and bad drivers, etc, and it's definitely a back lights separate from the screen. To do any serious troubleshooting I'll need to lengthen the wires from the PCB to the lights. There on a real short leash. I'll keep y'all posted as to what I find. I suspect a lot of LCD's hit the trash due to failed back lighting.

tomh

Jerry G. wrote:

Reply to
tomh