how to pwr el backlighting on lcd display

I picked up some 16x2 lcd displays cheap. They have el backlighting. What kind of circuit do I need to pwr the el backlights? Are there any packaged pwr supplies units that may be available cheap? Say for 5v, 9v, or 12v inputs?

tim

Reply to
tim gorman

December 2004 issue of Nuts & Volts has exactly the circuit you need (page

22). It may still be on shelves in your local bookstore. The online version
does not seem to have it though, so you definitely want the printed version.

Be careful with packaged voltage inverters. Most cheap ones I saw are DC-to-DC for miniature fluorescent tubes whereas EL panel needs AC.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

sci.electronics.design - 7589 messages and counting!

Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com