AT&T DumVerse

The Brat bought a condo. It has AT&T Uverse service for TV and internet, fiber into her place, mega HD video, all that. I helped her bolt her huge TV to the wall, a real nuisance with steel studs.

Then she complained that the WiFi didn't work very well. See pics of the AT&T box in the closet. The WiFi is the big black thing.

The Giants game was stunning in HD, better than being there except for no garlic fries. And they won.

Not when you take the time to find that there are standardized wall-mount hangers for such sets.

Steel construction usually is not allowed by code for personal housing... tends to collapse rapidly in a fire. But that's Californica for you.

Steel studs are an RF nuisance. When ICE rented space at 64th St and Camelback (Scottsdale) I nearly went nuts trying to do RF tests... the whole frickin' building was resonating at some FM station's frequency :-( ...Jim Thompson

And how would you attach the hanger mount to the wall? Screw it to the drywall? Velcro?

She bought the kit without consulting me. I drilled into the steel studs and cranked in four huge lag screws, and applied 1.0 SETM [1] to verify. It took a bit to trial and error to make four good holes. Her next major purchases will be a tub of spackle and a putty knife.

[1] Small Engineer Test Mass

You just keep proving yourself the dumbfuck... can't even surf Amazon.

They make hangers that span and attach to the studs, but have offset adjustments to center to suit. ...Jim Thompson

As I mentioned, the chief nuisance was bolting into the steel studs. And, as I mentioned, Bratenella had already bought the hanger kit. I had no idea what was inside the wall until I got there with my tools.

My post actually concerned the wi-fi, arguably on-topic for an electronics group. The TV mounting was an aside.

Why are you so determined to be an asshole? You're not even especially good at that. You were no doubt a bigger, better asshole when you were younger.

There's no point in asking you, again, to post your great current source. You never had one.

John Larkin wrote: ...

Well, of course it's in a steel box - that keeps those signals that the CIA sends over cable from controlling your mind!

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It sure does solve any wi-fi security problems.

Even the Romans had concrete but that invention apparantly never made it to the other side of 'the pond' :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

The USA has lots of wood, so most housing, including many apartments, are wooden structures. They are great in earthquakes. La Brat's place is a high-rise structure, and they commonly have a concrete foundation, steel structure, and often steel studs. Drywall, smoke alarms, and sprinklers mitigate the fire hazards.

Hey, Rome burned. London burned.

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Do you charge rent to have all that crap on the wall there?

Martin Riddle

That should be VESA, not ANSI.

Ummm... there are such things as self-stripping screws designed specifically for metal studs. They're easy to recognize because they have a miniature drill bit on the tip.

This is what happened when my bookshelves into drywall mounting arrangement failed because I used plastic expanding inserts instead of Molly bolts.

Let this be a warning to all those who invite disaster by failing to calculate simple static loads.

As for the Wi-Fi problem, the steel studs don't block 2.4GHz very much. There's plenty of space between the studs. However, and aluminum foil backed insulation between the studs is a serious barrier to RF. She can tell if she's going to have problems if the various cellular phone signal levels are down more than expected.

If the black Wi-Fi thing in the closet has too many walls blocking the signal to the desired area, it's probably easiest to run CAT5 to the desired area, and install a 2nd wireless access point (on a different channel (1, 6, or 11). She can also try power line communications (HomePNA) if the CAT5 run is difficult, but in a high rise, she's sure to run into other people with the same idea. Don't bother with a wireless range extender (wireless store and forward repeater). They barely work.

After the spackle and putty knife, I think some paint will probably be needed.

I happened to be at the local Best Buy today. I asked about how to mount a big LCD TV. The sales personality actually had a good idea. Install a steel pipe between the floor and ceiling. Use a VESA standard pole mounting kit for the TV. That give the ability to adjust elevation and rotation. If remodeling, it's much easier to move the pole than to rip the mount off the drywall. However, too late for that idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Look into VESA standards... there are safe mounts, and then there are cheap mounts.

I never said I had one. Learn to read. I'm not determined to be an asshole, you are. If you'll stop with your nonsense I'll stop pointing out how stupid you are. Wouldn't that be fair ?:-)

If I wasn't heading out to dinner right now I'd drop by and adjust your smile (or is it a smirk)... I'm only about 20 miles away at the moment ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Also useful for.... other purposes, if said Brat is so inclined. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

PHB bought a IKEA shelf that was designed, but not engineered, to be braceless. It sagged so badly that everything fell off.

I ran a piece of 10-32 rod through it, centered L-R and 1" in from edge. It went through tile (Actually holey return vent) into molly sunk into slab above.

Had fender washer & double-nut to avoid KC Hyatt-Regency failure. It might well have handled a SETM....rod in pure tension is strong.

Reply to
David Lesher

You're in the bay area? Perhaps John and I can meet you in a dark alley.

Reply to
miso

Given the cost of wood these days, not to mention the poor quality, concrete has made a comeback. Many of the new customs being built today are ICF.

The problem with wood frames in say the last twenty years is the quality of the framers. Even real builders (I won't mentions named so I don't get sued) were using pick up labor from hiring lines. Thanks to the Bush economy, many of the hack framers left the country.

Reply to
miso

My place is lats and plaster. So not fun for bolting stuff to the walls. But I already have a tub of spackle and a putty knife so I'm good.

The problem isn't the walls, it's the locked steel box they put it in.

it's probably easiest to run CAT5 to the

or leave the box door open.

So you invited people to your house to see a nonexistant circuit that you don't want me to steal?

Pitiful.