AT&T emails disappearing

Hello,

Anyone with an AT&T (or SBC, or formerly Pacific Bell) email account: Unfortunately they seem to have outsourced their email stuff to Yahoo a while ago. Not good but what can ya do? Very little spam which is nice but their spam filter appears to be quite crude. Lately, it occasionally swallows email from people I have had lots of email exchange with. Tyically one to three emails per day. So, probably not a very smart spam filter.

Support has become the pits. Configuration isn't possible, they want to make you sign up with some Yahoo service that requires all sorts of personal information and then "transfer your email", whatever that means. No way.

So, anyone know a trick how to adjust/disable a AT&T spam filter without the Yahoo detour?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not surprised. I never liked AT&T's (that is, att.net) mail service. In fact I'm not a big fan of any of their services. Many times it's barfed on my outbound emails. They filter everything so alternative (even sibling) SMTP servers don't work. OTOH, I've used AT&T's business Internet (att.biz) for over 10 years (it was originally ibm.net) and have been very happy with them, other than I can't get to their SMTP servers.

AT&T and DISH will be gone in a flash once the city gets their cable system up and running.

Reply to
krw

I use gmail Never a problem - been using it since it was invitation only beta

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

It lets me get to other email accounts no sweat but one has to fudge the port settings.

No chance whatsoever of that happening here. You either use Missy Bell (monopoly) or the cable TV company (also monopoly), but the latter makes you sign up for some bundle deal first or it'll be very expensive. No way I sign up for cable TV.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No real Internet service up your way?

What company provides your website? Perhaps they offer a mail service? ...Jim Thompson

Nine years ago, on September 11, around 6AM, 4 telephone calls in
rapid succession, "Mom, Where's Dad, Is he flying?"
My wife woke me and turned on the television.
                               ****
                       We will NEVER forget!
                         We WILL get even!
                  Destroy All Islamic Barbarians!
            Start by applying salt to the Obama-slug ;-)

It would to others, but not their siblings.

The cable franchise here (Charter) is the pits, AIUI. Sow-orkers here are always doing battle with them over some performance or billing issue. They refuse to add cable to their system to cover the newer areas of the city (they wanted $100K, or some nonsense, to wire our 25 home subdivision). The city already has a high-speed loop they built to attract businesses and they have a "smart-grid" for metering power and water, so they thought it was a logical extension to go into the Internet and phone business. They may yet sink the project with "pork", though.

Reply to
krw

fact

them,

up

City owned CATV systems are well know for underestimating the maintenance costs. Most either fail, or end up being subsidized by the taxpayers.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

fact

them,

system up

AIUI, that (taxpayer subsidy) is unconstitutional here. Of course there are always ways around such things. I'm not real happy about the city getting involved but no one else is stepping up to the plate. Charter is so bad that the city has made no bones that they intend to put them out of business. The city already owns water, power, and trash collection. At least the water service is good (but expensive) and the power cheap (but service is marginal), and trash pickup excellent (cheap with excellent service). ...and the taxes are *still* very low. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Only Comcast but they want you to also take cable TV. No way, Jose.

Oh, I am using that. It's 1and1.com and they are excellent. Problem is, many people are using my old pacbell.net email address no matter how often I tell them that I have my own domain and email address since years. So what I do is have my 1and1 email (analogconsultants.com domain) forward into the old Pacbell account, then read that. This way I can read my biz email on the road but still have everything flow into the office PC in parallel.

I could reshuffle everything but would then have to constantly read both into one bin. Doable, but not straightforward. Also, re-shuffling would need to happen during a quiet time which for a consultant never happens. Well, maybe right after Christmas. Although, last year that was exactly when things hit the fan at one client.

If I just knew a backdoor where I could turn spam filtering off at the AT&T account. Hoping someone knows the secret knock :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

are you using their web interface?

through the web if you may see the junk mail where those emails were dumped.

as I mainly use outlook, I don't see these, so that I check the web if occasionally.

Jure Z

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

are you using their web interface?

through the web if you may see the junk mail where those emails were dumped.

as I mainly use outlook, I don't see these, so that I check the web if occasionally.

Jure Z

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

are you using their web interface?

through the web if you may see the junk mail where those emails were dumped.

as I mainly use outlook, I don't see these, so that I check the web if occasionally.

Jure Z

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

Learn how to use redirection. As you know, I have ~200 E-mail addresses which make a couple of hops and then sort into the proper mailbox. ...Jim Thompson

Nine years ago, on September 11, around 6AM, 4 telephone calls in
rapid succession, "Mom, Where's Dad, Is he flying?"
My wife woke me and turned on the television.
                               ****
                       We will NEVER forget!
                         We WILL get even!
                  Destroy All Islamic Barbarians!
            Start by applying salt to the Obama-slug ;-)

No, Thunderbird. I can't use their web interface anymore because they canned it. Only after an "upgrade" to Yahoo will they allow that where you must give Yahoo personal information and I am not going to do that. Pathetic. Sad, actually, for a telco company.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Sorry -- no direct info on AT&T for you, perhaps some alternatives to consider?

I've been using gmail for years, also for my own 'boutique' domains and their spam filter is good, keeps spam in separate folder for 30 days before auto-delete.

I'd expect at least that level of service these days for any email host, that there's either notice of dropped emails or a spam folder to go look through so you can 'unspam' some caught by the spam filter.

My ISP sometimes notifies me of an attachment drop, but it has to be spam as I no longer use their email system for public addrs, used to, so I'm still on the CD list offerings.

Do you use pop access, is there imap access offered? IMAP can be difficult to work with (googlemail and thunderbird almost get along, what I'm using; Opera doesn't do IMAP properly last I tried, and I don't use LookOut! so no idea with MSFT email clients).

A gmail account can suck email from a number of pop accounts and present it in one account, but still with the source email folder, so you know where they come from, who to send reminders to change emails.

And, some people just never get around changing email while your old address works, maybe persistence?

A far as spam goes, I rarely need to rescue good emails from gmail spam, but it's easy enough to check occasionally. With IMAP, you can access the spam folder direct.

If there's some interest, I can put up some screen shots. I'm not 100% happy with thunderbird + googlemail IMAP but considering I get several hundred emails/day[1] from lkml, and thus offer a couple 'live' email addresses, what I have running now is pretty good, maybe 1% spam.

Free, too. There's a pay-for option that gives better performance and stuff, at US$50/person (I think per year), but I don't know anyone using it. No idea how it compares.

The lkml traffic is separately handled by pop access and Forte Agent

-latest, which is great for email lists as it treats them somewhat like usenet. Is what has me using Agent since Aug'96 :)

The thunderbird+imap handles dozens emails / day, but includes 'business' and friends contact, so address book handling (personal + contacts) and stuff is important there.

Last thing I'd do is use an ISP's email system for anything more than dealing with the ISP account management, too easy for them to hold one to ransom regarding keeping accounts open. I pay something like AU$20 for a domain name each two years, and use free googlemail service, seems a good deal? One could also use a free email address, but they can change rules, I got caught out using them some years ago -- and could not afford to pay the rates when they changed to pay-for.

My domain registrar also offers an email service for like AU$5/month, so googlemail cannot hold me to ransom, there's alternatives about.

And, the gmail interface is web based while traveling plus POP or IMAP access at home. Even tells you if another access is happening, and the IP address + time of last access.

My email addr above is handled for me by googlemail, and I see little spam through that address.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

then try loging in using:

Jure Z.

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

Has anyone considered the recent virus that came through or do none of you dopes ever watch the news?

BTW Joerg, filter gmail if you want, but we don't need an announcement of your retarded behavior.

YOU spam with your every post, fucktard. It's right there in your pathetic sig.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

Any idea how to do a one-click check of several email locations and then have emails dump into the same directory? I know how to do the latter in Thunderbird but not the one-click check. There can only be one email server listed per account domain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They seem to let everybody and the world on there, spewing spam into newsgroups, and when I (and others) wrote they elected not to bother with responding at all. No, thanks. I had to go as far as blocking that whole domain which unfortunately hoses off some legit and good posters.

That used to be possible with AT&T and probably still is. But as I said they outsourced their email service to Yahoo and those folks want you to sign up for some "upgrade" upon which mail will be "transferred". Whatever that means I don't want to take chances here. Plus they want way too much personal data for my taste. Ok, I could fill in bogus answers but that's just not my style.

I use POP and do not want to change. Heard of too many problems when people switched to more "modern" formats.

Separate folders isn't so nice, has to go all into one.

It would be ok if it bounced in personal communications. But these are often old clients that have an assignment for me, search for fragments of my name they can remember, then find the ancient email address. Don't want to miss that one :-)

No googlemail here. I do not like the behavior of that company and prefer not to support it.

My business domain has email service and lots of other things included, for around $80/year including domain registration fees.

I found that a valid reply-to address also results in low spam, so now mine is valid.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Doesn't work. Same thing: I wants me to sign up for some sort of Yahoo service, give out personal information and create a new password. No, not going to do this.