Art of Electronics 3rd edition? (probably the billionth time this has been asked here)

But hopefully they let you keep the mention of John 6:40. I liked that.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yup. And the cross. Of course, the other sacred thing got the axe--by which I mean Canadian spelling. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

WHICH of the dean's lists? ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I always designed electronics. I did try real work for a couple of weekends and didn't care for it. When I was a freshman at Tulane, I had a tuition scholarship, and TANO corporation put me on salary for over $400 a month, if you can imagine such a sum. Flight hardware for the S1B and the C5A, marine automation, SCADA, all sorts of stuff. I had my own computers (HP9100, PDP-8, PDP-11) before the Tulane EE department had one. Had it made, with my $80 apartment and 25 cent draft beer and 85 cent fried oyster po-boys.

The EE faculty at Tulane, mostly jerks, disapproved of students working or marrying. And presumably eating.

John

The one based on GPA :-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

I think we also had a PDP-11 type computer on the oil rig. A special ruggedized one, conformal coating on the boards and such. The job was sometimes hazardous. Mounting little explosive charges into core sampler takers and so on. One guy lost half his neck doing that (but lived).

Maybe they were concerned about cholesterol levels from all those fried oysters :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The EE faculty at MIT was just the opposite. At one point in time, everyone's (in the MHD lab *) wife was pregnant... including mine.

Woodson, Melcher, and 3 PhD candidates, plus me... the techie :-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

I've heard of the S-2

(whose lines are REALLY ugly compared to the rather handsome S-3)
but what is an S1B?

Reply to
JeffM

Excuse me. What exactly was that supposed to mean?

Jay Ts

Reply to
Jay Ts

I worked 20 hours per week. You implied you couldn't work much because Caltech was "harder". I had no problem with MIT... except for "Elementary Number Theory" :-( ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Sloman would have been on the other. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In your opinion, and you know very little about the facts of the matter. And the rule was wrong in my opinion, too, at the time. I broke it because I was desperate, and as far as I could tell, I had no choice.

What I was told about that rule is that it was made because the administration knew that due to Caltech's exceptionally stressful academic workload, it was not considered humanly possible to maintain passing grades there (that is, remain in "good academic standing") while also maintaining any kind of job. Too many students who tried it had failed out of school as a result. It was said that the rule was implemented for the students, not against them. As I recall, it applied only to freshmen and sophomores.

I don't think it was that particular rule that was the problem, but rather, an academic system that was apparently designed to torture brilliant minds more than to help the students get a good start in life.

And BTW, I also learned more useful things from my job than I did in classes! Aside from paying for food and other necessities, maybe that's one of the reasons why it was so important for me to have it. That job actually led me directly to getting a job at JPL, and later, my first job in the "real world".

Jay Ts

Reply to
Jay Ts

Booster stage for the Apollo moon rocket. We did two signal conditioning/telemetry modules, the Pulse Converter and the Time Correlation Unit. I did some design on the TCU, and did the test sets for both.

John

My opinion is based on experience, and that's been over 25 years now. I found that folks who had a healthy dose of hands-on electronics design skills by the time they graduated were often more mature when it came to designing stuff on their job.

Well, in the first couple of years they didn't exactly encourage us either and you would not be accepted as a tech at one of the institutes that early. I was, but with a special exemption and because I knew much of the stuff they taught us already. But there was no explicit discouragement regarding work. In fact, my school required a minimum of three months industrial experience before you were allowed to sit for any exam after the initial two years. During the 2nd half of your studies you had to accrue another mandatory three months in industry but this time in a hardcore high-tech environment. Oh, and you had to find those intern positions on your own, the university did not provide any sort of exchange for that (other than peg boards in the cantinas, bring-your-own-pegs). That was a very good rule.

Nothing wrong with a tough regimen, like military boot camp it makes people tough and they need that for business. However, I find that practical experience is sorely lacking in our current academic environment. Asians are still tinkering and building stuff like we used to do decades ago, while folks in the Western world often don't even own a soldering iron. Plopped in front of a Tektronix 2465 many are totally lost. Guess where the jobs are going ...

Excellent. Most of my real know-how initially came from tons of ham radio projects so I went into university with a pretty sound grasp WRT designing transistor level circuits. Many of our ultra-achievers who sported GPA lots better than mine weren't even able to repair their TV sets. They probably still aren't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What he's telling you is that he's a lot smarter than you are. He does that a lot.

John

Heck, those ancient analog scopes confuse me. All the traces are the same color!

John

I had a tuition scholarship my Senior year but paid for everything else (well, between the two of us ;).

Reply to
krw

I made $1.50 (1970), until they figured out that even a state university had to pay the federal minimum ($1.60). My junior and senior years I made about $.25 over minimum ($2.00-$2.25). The experience got me my first job, when most weren't even getting interviews.

Reply to
krw

I'm still in the habit of offsetting each trace a division or three.

Reply to
krw

Thompson's probably having a PMS attach or hot flushes or something.

I think he needs a Pamprin. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise