Art of Electronics, 3rd edition ?

Last I heard, it was targeted for early 2010. Any recent news? Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Last I heard it was due out last millennium.

-- Dirk

- Transcendence UK
- A UK political party
- Occult Talk Show

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Hill has been strangely absent for some time, working hard on it I guess.

Martin Riddle

_

Archimedes' Lever

Nice to have a PDF to go with the book, but I really prefer hard copy as reference material

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

look at this list: _

Archimedes' Lever

A real academic crime wave. However, I suppose it might be tempting for a poverty stricken student, but reading scanned pages on a computer is crap. I don't know about the other books, but the AoE in PDF is worse than photocopies.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I doubt that ANY of those are scanned.

You can buy most of those books in that format.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Hey, I just did a google hunt, I don't make the files.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Or not. With every delay new stuff gets invented that should go in there and other stuff is obsolete. Besides with all the information on the internet you don't really need a book like AoE anyway.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I spotted AoE in a library years ago. I was flipping though and was thinking. 'yup..yup..yup..know that..know that.. yup...done that.. yup..seen that.. yup.. don't need to know that...don't need to know that too.. yup.. that ol circuit...yup..unlikely I'll ever use that..'. .

At the time for that book version ~1998, I found it an interesting book to quickly flip through to spark the imaginary and to jog the memory. I'd read AoE on boring airline flights.

Reply to
D from BC

By that reasoning, you don't need any technical book or textbook, ever. All one has to do is sort through the zillions of web pages, discard the crap (whatever that is), and then memorize the data.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I've done remarkably well for myself that way.

Note: "discard the crap (whatever that is)" is tempered with actual on-the-bench experience.

I honestly don't have many books. I learned the basics from a few, a whole hell of a lot more from the bench, and the rest I look up on the internet.

Tim

-- Deep Friar: a very philos>> "Mart>>

Reply to
Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:58:23 -0600) it happened "Tim Williams" wrote in :

It depends where you start. If you have already an education in electronics and perhaps also math, yes then you can get most of the web, and filter the crap automatically. If you are a kid and know little about the stuff, you will be lost. You can still learn from projects that you build from diagrams you find, though.

In the old days there were the hobby magazines, not sure many still exists, we had 'Radio Electronica' and Elektuur' in the Netherlands, same as 'Elector' I think. There was 'Wireless World', and some more, 'Radio Bulletin', what not. Do any of these still exist? Elector does I think. I simply never go to a bookshop or newsstand these days:-) Even the news is electronically, with a much broader spectrum then the old local news paper had. Go short on printing presses... LOL Usenet also helps, lots of people will help you and point out your errors. I do not have AOE, maybe if it appears as free downloadable pdf I will have a look. Already noticed some pages of it are on google. Interesting.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
[snippety snip]

I think.

Indeed. They're teaming up with Circuit Cellar, to give Elektor a presence over here and also for CC over in the EC.

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:34:42 -0500) it happened Rich Webb wrote in :

I think.

Interesting, I was an avid Elektor (then Elektuur) in the long ago past. they had many fun projects, and sometimes use the latest chips, sure have picked up ideas from that. They also had once a year a magazine with nothing but circuits in it. Some of those were jokes too.

But nevertheless it will likely all go online only. Just to save trees. And then you do not have to wait a month before the corrections... 'Het lek van Elektuur', the errata so to speak.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think.

Elektor/Elektuur still exists. They publish just as many crap circuits as you can find on the internet. The basic rule is: if you don't understand how a circuit works don't build it! Otherwise you'll get burned sooner or later.

look.

That would be a waste of time IMHO. AoE just doesn't cut it. To high level for beginners and too low level for designers. I'd recommend AoE to an R&D manager like Dilbert's boss.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I subscribed to the Indian edition of the English version of Elektor until they stopped publishing the Indian edition some 10 years ago. I consider the web to be a complement to books, not a complete substitute. The web is great for looking up specific bits of information, but not that great as a general reference.

I used to do a lot of repair work in the past - on consumer, medical and industrial products. More often than not, I had to work on products I'd never seen before or, in many cases, even heard of. The few times a schematic is available, I find the European style of presenting diagrams very inconvenient. I mean the habit of putting only a small section of the whole thing on one page, making it necessary to hunt for the page where line D37 goes. It may be OK for a company-trained service engineer who already has a good overall familiarity with the product, but not for someone trying to figure out how the damn thing works. I liken the web to those European-style diagrams.

Reply to
pimpom

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Jan 2010 00:55:50 +0530) it happened "pimpom" wrote in :

Well, I remember a training I had with Ampex in Germany for one of their video machines. I had to weight in the hand luggage, for the flight: 15 kg of books, for ONE machine. There is no way you can get everything on one page for complicated circuits. What you need in such a case is big block diagrams (fold out), time to study those, and then diagrams for each individual block. And then diagrams for parts of each individual block, I am used to that sort of stuff.

I remember the first real work day at the TV studio, now THAT is a lot of equipment that I had to fix in zero time, because 'black' on the network after a few seconds upsets millions, and people get pissed... My boss told me: 'I am going to lunch, call me if anything comes up you cannot handle'. Something came up, I called him, better that then black. He asked 'What?", and I told him: I know how to do this, but *where* are the cables (needed to rewire some connections, old days, toooobes). 'Oh', he said: Opened the floor boars somewhere, 'here!' That is the only time I called for help, the first day. But we had had months of training full time in the school banks before that. He asked: 'Did you not pay attention when that was explained by so and so?". I gave some lame excuse... Now I probably did not, digging up cables from under the floor was not that interesting to me. Funny place, you needed to be stress resistant. You also needed to be very very good at electronics and human interactions. Nice times.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Maybe he's just fed up with Jim Thompson and his band of idiots. They've destroyed this N.G.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris