Art of Electronics 3rd Edition

FYI for those playing along at home... Someone on my EEVblog Forum got a response from Win Hill about the new book:

Quote: "We're working full-time on the 3rd edition, and are more than 2/3 through so far, and hope to see it out this year, although it may slip a bit. We're still inviting suggestions for new material, etc. Thanks for your interest.

-- - Win"

and

is the 2nd edition a supplemental to the 3rd edition?

" No, hah! It's certainly not just a supplement! It stands on its own, very much a new book; some old stuff is kept, but sadly much of the really great 2nd-edition stuff is tossed to make room (even tho the 3rd ed has a larger page size, wider columns, a smaller font and more pages).

Most of you will want to keep your 2nd edition (or get hold of a used copy someplace).

Brand new important chapters on precision circuits, low-noise (loads of new material, secret replacements found for discontinued low-noise parts, with extensive measurements and analysis). A/D and D/A converters. Five logic & microcontroller chapters, including new detailed interfacing digital to the real world.

Awesome new "x" chapters added after regular chapters, with extended, advanced material. E.g., Chapter 1x after intro Chapter 1, with new "properties of components," including lab measurements you need, not available elsewhere.

Chapter 2x, with advanced BJT stuff. 3x after the regular chapter 3 (FETs), full of advanced JFET and MOSFET info. Chapter 4x, advanced opamp stuff, tables, measurements, the works. Chapter 9x after ch 9, advanced power stuff.

20 chapters in all (2nd ed had 15 chapters).

- Win"

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

David L. Jones expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@d19g2000prh.googlegr oups.com:

..

Ok up to there.

IMO, they should toss out all the microcomputer/ controller stuff. If they want to cover it somewhere, do it in a separate tome (Vol 3?). The digital stuff and becomes outdated faster than you can name your favourite processor. This would leave more room to cover the analog material and the analog to digital _interfacing_. Further they could revise the 3rd volume more often to keep pace with the changes.

You could probably make the same argument for opamps (Vol 2?) Splitting the material might make it more affordable for those folks that want to focus on one aspect of the "Art".

Just my $0.02 Cdn worth, which is just about par with USD today.

Warren

Reply to
Warren