Art of Electronics, 3rd edition, free 109-page chapter

AoE III has been at the printer for several weeks, getting signatures printed for a first-printing run of 15,000 books. It's scheduled to be finished in a few weeks, on March 20th.

In the meantime, here's a free sample chapter, courtesy of our publisher. It's Chapter Nine, Voltage Regulation and Power Conversion.

The chapter is pretty detailed, and hopefully will have something in it that's interesting and useful, even to experienced engineers. You'll recognize bits from the 2nd edition, but it has basically been re-written. It's 109 pages long, and filled with lots of figures, graphs, tables, photo montages, and some formulas. The file includes the book's detailed Table of Contents at the beginning.

Here and there you'll find references with an x in them, like 9x.7, which refers to section 7 in Chapter 9x. In a few years we'll be coming out with a companion volume, The x-Chapters, which will have more advanced material. Chapter 9x is already partly finished.

Here's a dropbox link. You can share the link, and the file as well.

Let me know if the link doesn't work, etc. Enjoy. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Congratulations on the release of the new book. I ordered a copy a couple of weeks ago and is eagerly awaiting my cope (I have the old version too)

About the chapter, I don't see anything about digital control of SMPS, but perhaps I missed it

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I like the heatsink symbol ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Guaranteed to make us drool, slaver, pine, line up at the ordering gates, and haunt our mailboxes :-)

Thanks very much indeed (both for this early look at one chapter, and at bringing this work to fruition)!

Reply to
Dave Platt

Stop the presses!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Beautiful!

Except for one thing... why'd you have to use the "dumb" MOSFET symbols? :( Whose vote was that?

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

page 629, Section 9.5.1, first line, "neutral" is supposed to be "ground" and is noted correctly at the bottom of the page, but the miscue in the first line might confuse the uninitiated.

Ecnerwal

Also, Blue and brown are commonly used for Neutral and hot.

Martin Riddle

_That_ is in note 39 at the bottom of that column.

Ecnerwal

Good, I'll start taking notes.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Overall I find it very readable, I have preordered the book so I am looking forward to see whats new.

Martin Riddle

Yes, but the neat heat sink symbol makes up for it. :)

tm

Reply to
Tom Miller

Maybe you've talked about it elsewhere, but I'm a bit curious as to the process. Did you start with TeX (or some other markup language), a commercial WYSIWYG word processor, or the old-fashioned way with Selectrics and red pens?

I wondered when downloadable content was going to make the jump from vidyagames to books.

Pictures have gotten cheaper since 1989. Apparently so have footnotes. :)

The money quote here is probably "This is like getting rid of a cow pie by stomping on it", although "Dude, this is a league game" is a good contender.

Cy appears in fig. 9.74 with no discussion, but it does get talked about later, in the discussion around fig 9.83.

C-Zn and NiCd don't exist anymore. I'm pretty sure I know the reasons, but it's interesting to live in the future.

The review section at the end of the chapter is new. It looks like the "good circuits" and "bad circuits" sections have gone away.

Thanks for posting it!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

The cap in front of the regulator shown in Figure 9.25 is also noted. It doubles as a Circuit Cellar challenge clue for those in need. :)

-- ,-. GIVE MORE expect less LOVE MORE \_/ argue less LISTEN MORE talk less {|||)< Don Kuenz LAUGH MORE complain less DREAM MORE / \ doubt less HOPE MORE fear less `-' BREATHE MORE whine less

Reply to
Don Kuenz

Thanks for the sample. Maybe I'll update my 2nd edition.

I found a typo by dumb luck: Page 646, Figure 9.65, Vout label.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

Hopefully there will be an x-chapter on magnetics. You've made some posts here that should be in it.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

well thank you. I already preodered the book ;)

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

Thanks, yes, that'll be in Chapter 1x, properties of passive parts. Dunno how much will make it, but yes it's important.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I'm looking at Vout, what's wrong with that? Oops, 3.3V, 5A. Good catch. We'll get these things fixed in the 2nd printing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On a sunny day (5 Mar 2015 05:01:39 -0800) it happened Winfield Hill wrote in :

I ws looking for the word 'soldering', and all I found was: Figure 9.46. An extended selection of power packages, shown here and in Figure 9.47. The leadless packages in the bottom row require "reflow" solder techniques (trade in your soldering iron and wire solder for an oven and solder-paste dispenser!).

Will there be a chapter on what end of that thing to hold, and what sort of thing to melt with it?

I mean, come on, it all starts and ends with that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje