Art of Electronics, 3rd edition ?

So true. The lunatics are running the asylum.

I used to monitor the group to learn, and occasionally share, but things became very ugly when Jim went psycho between 9/11 and the 2004 elections.

He's obviously a corrupting influence here, but he doesn't want for gang members and lap dogs who contribute to the decline of this group. I can only tolerate a quick browse through here now, once every few months, and that is usually hard to stomach.

I remember Win trying to have reasonable discussions but Jim being an insulting asshole of megalomaniacal proportions, as he predictably is to anyone who doesn't buy into his peculiar world view. Perhaps he was snubbed by elitist Bostonian weenies back when he was young and barely out of the hills of West Virginia (or was it Kentucky, I forget) and he still holds a grudge.

Jim has appointed himself the Rupert Murdoch of SED except that he is also like a Glen Bleck or Rush Limbarf, front-line, thug / dancing clown.

It feels like a 50's or 60's high school movie where the delinquents are controlling the school, except our disruptive rebels average out in their 60's age wise. Arrgh!

Little wonder we haven't seen anyone as decent and sensible as Win around here anymore. As a Bob Dylan lyric once said, "Anyone with any sense had already left town."

P.S., On this pass through, I did stumble on an interesting link that pointed me at help toward a solution to something that I was looking for. It's nice that there still are a percentage of on-topic posts that get a bit of good discussion before they take off on some orthogonal tangent.

And there are quite a number of people still hanging out here who maintain a high level of purpose and sanity. Kudos to you!

Even many of the rebel rumblers also post good stuff between the OT episodes. Don't let the Off-Topic devils tempt you. There are other places to exorcise or exercise your demons. Remember back to when you were innocent witnesses of the circuits and physics. My brethren, come back to the electromagnetic and photon flow. Cast off the politics and egotistical ramblings. Call not your brother a leftist weenie nor a tea bagging nazi. Let logic, rationality and common decency once again come to the fore.

It's for our mutual health. Try to care. Weather the storm, be it hot or cold. (A lame parting shot, perhaps. Wrong. Forgive me.)

Reply to
xray

Well said, thank you.

Some time ago I posted something about this problem, though not nearly so eloquent. One of the replies I received, from one of the frequent offenders, was that "he answered a lot of questions here, so it was OK" or something to that effect. It was as if he felt he'd paid his monthly dues and was thus entitled to waste whatever bandwidth he wanted.

I don't look at it that way. Rather I think of this as a community of folks who agreed, but their presence here, to discuss issues of electronic design. Apparently I'm way too much of an idealist.

Sigh.

Back to mostly lurking and answering the occasional questions that fall within my areas of expertise.

Steve

There are no pork products in my real email address.

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

xray, Legris, and Riddle have been on my no-retrieve-list for years, so I'm just now seeing this diatribe.

WHEN have these birds EVER posted a circuit or solution?

I'm disappointed in you, Steve :-(

Being politically correct, following the messiah blindly, DOES NOT MAKE YOU A GOOD CIRCUIT DESIGNER.

True, but I have yet to find a circumstance when politicial posts have improved my design skills.

I will say no more on this topic.

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

[snip]

You would restrict my freedom of speech?

Aren't my circuit responses dead-on accurate? (Except for an occasional typo ?:-)

I'll stick strictly to circuits IF EVERYONE ELSE WILL ALSO DO SO. Of course SED will then die, because there's rarely anything electronic actually ever posted, and at that, they're so juvenile they should have been posted in sci.electronics.basics ...Jim Thompson

Well stated, sir.

Reply to
life imitates life

Arrogant asshole. By your own logic, You have become so juvenile that you shouldn't post at all.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Tell me. How is it I ran Win Hill off? Seems to me it was Win Hill who was _always_ spouting "W is an idiot".

Of course all of the above "authors" couldn't "design" anything they couldn't copy from Win's compendium of copied circuits. ...Jim Thompson

Sometimes I think we need a news:sci.electroincs.idiot newsgroup to point some people to.

I notice these whiners never mention Dimbulb, Sloman or EEyore.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Of course not. The dweebs need their messiahs to look up to... the super dweebs need Win Hill ;-) ...Jim Thompson

THIS POSTING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRONICS
WHERE ARE THE THOUGHT POLICE WHEN YOU NEED THEM?
Reply to
invalid

Yeah. He merely co-authored the best and most accessible general electronics book for decades.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Why don't you and Terrell get a room?

We don't need to see you licking each others' balls in the technical groups.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yeah, Jim. Archimedes' Liar is getting jealous.

Reply to
krw

Thanks for the repost, idiot.

Reply to
TheJoker

--

THIS POSTING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRONICS
WHERE ARE THE THOUGHT POLICE WHEN YOU NEED THEM?
Reply to
invalid

You're welcome, Archimedes' Liar.

Reply to
krw

Just like a fairy Demonicrat, wishing for the thought police.

Reply to
krw

... and yet another thread degenerates into 3rd graders sticking their tongues out at each other. I have killfiled everybody who seems to be incapable of carrying on an adult conversation but the SNR on s.e.d still seems lower than in many other newsgroups. A shame...

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Well, we could talk about what an ideal electronics textbook would look like. Some of the canonical ones are

Horowitz & Hill Grey & Meyer Ott Morrison The Radar Handbook Zverev Gardner's PLL book Van der Ziel's book on noise

But they're all getting a bit long in the tooth. So if you could commission the ideal one-volume electronics text, what would it look like?

I'd like a good strong section on transistors, showing how the device physics interacts with the circuit design details. Old tube books, e.g. Terman's, did a much better job at this than the modern ones seem to. It could start from simple rule-of-thumb CB, CE, and CC designs and then start going into progressively more detail, on things like saturation, beta linearity, noise sources, and so forth. (That puzzle of Jim's from last month about the sawtooth oscillator, for instance.)

That was a major weak point in H&H, which iirc Win said they'd done something about for the third edition.

I think it's possible to do a really good job of this without a whole lot of math--the interaction of diffusion and drift isn'd hard to visualize. FETs could fit in there too, though apart from a fair number of BF862s and the odd power MOS, I don't use a lot of discrete FETs.

What would everyone else like to see in there?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs