Are there simple line-powered MP3 recorders?

OK.

Reply to
JosephKK

As a long time linux user/self admin i have never found a case where i could not access any file as root i wanted to. As for setting the environment variables up properly yo need more instruction.

Reply to
JosephKK

While i am not scared of becoming root whenever i want, i see no need of being root all the time as there is increased security risk in doing so.

Reply to
JosephKK

On a sunny day (Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:22:04 -0800) it happened JosephKK wrote in :

There is no security risk. That is a fairy tale. At least not much more then a normal user. The risk is that you will modify something essential, like erasing a library. But you can do that with sudo too, and if you are inexperienced as root, then the chances that you will f*ck up with sudo only become bigger. One suggestion:

*Always* look what you have typed before you hit ENTER. A small typo can wipe out something essential.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Of course I can get to those as root. But from within the application I can not.

I asked this question in a forum of knowledgeable Linux users and they said the only way is to put the special libraries under /home/joerg/whatever, place a gafrc there and forget about running gschem from the GUI. I began to wonder what the GUI in Ubunutu is really for. Ok, I thought, not nice but can be done. So I did just that. After all I grew up with DOS where almost everything was command line.

However, piece by piece came the next "workarounds" where I was told that I'd have to close the schematic, run some script from the command line, then re-open the schematic. For example for simple tasks such as renumbering a schematic properly, meaning without trampling over multiple opamp instantations. Well, that'all doable but it begins to crimp my productivity.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:14:26 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Joerg I think you misunderstood something from my explanation. The idea is that you start from a script, and in the script you have the sudo. The icon on the GUI points to the script. Actually I just tried that, as user, with everything in root, on xandros Linux.

With libs in /root/wherever_libs script: cd wherever sudo whatever

Or just login as root (somebody already explained that very well).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ok, maybe I can somehow circumvent this (to me somewhat nonsensical) barrier. But there are more barriers than just that :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That depends on if somebody's already compiled it and has made the binaries available. I know virtually nothing about Ubuntu, other than it's got a Linux kernel.

And there's really no problem with compiling from source - it's mostly time-consuming, but you could run it in the background while you surf the 'net or whatever. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Like this? $ rm -R /*

;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ok, but so far KiCad looks like a program where all that can be configured with ease right within the GUI. And it lets me define library parts with the proper power pin fashion, meaning VCC and VSS only at the first part of a package and not also the others. Or, in engineering speak, I might just take the path of least reistance.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:07:01 GMT) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

I wanted Firefox-3 on my system. Downloaded it. It told me it wanted a new gtk++ whatever. To compile gtk (did it several times in the past), you need to first compile a new glib, then for a new glib you need to first compile atk, and for atk you need cairo, and you need pango too. So after ./configure compiling all things in the right order, gtk gave a compile error. As now the new stuff was linked in, and the new gtk did not work, that was the end of gtk. So I erased all gtk related (as above), and did the same thing again for the old libraries. Now the old firefox-2 no longer worked either. I used the safety net, and used Opera (fast nice, but different). Found some old beta of firefox-3 from years ago named 'minefield', and that is what it is, if you select a bookmark it freezes, and can then only be killed from an other xterm. But at least it runs. So now I use 2 browsers, perhaps until the next gtk comes out. So, tell me again: compile from source is easy!!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

compile error.

That already happens with this dreaded .NET stuff. Case in point: SW for the new DSO required .NET. Bit my lips so no cuss words would slip my mouth because I had a hunch that this would not be too reliable. Downloaded .NET. Loaded scope SW, started it, ... "MEEEEEP". Error. Call manufacturer. "Oh, it will not work with .NET 2.0, it needs the older

1.1 and they are not backwards compatible. Great. Just great. Thanks, Microsoft.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You should thank the DSO manufacturer, not M$. Dot net is worseless; it is just another attempt to make the programming job available for utter imbeciles. The fact that their software is incompatible with the newer dot net is the proof of that.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

I see that a bit differently. From any kind of environment, whether CAD, an OS, .NET or whatever I expect that newer versions are able to run stuff that was written for older versions. Else it is IMHO not a good product.

Instek had written they routines during a time when 1.1 was the current version. I don't think they did anything wrong. They do not have clairvoyant skills that would allow them to predict what could be screwed up in the next .NET release by gazing at a crystal ball ;-)

It's not that Microsoft can't do it. Some of their business units clearly can. For example, I can still read MS-Works files from 1989, created on the very first DOS version. Of course, I encountered some other bugs in Works 8.0 so I prefer the previous more stable version.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

BTDT

Reply to
JosephKK

Where is the gEDA NG? I will load a ubuntu slice if i cannot find a good package for Suse. My new experimental machine ought to be fast enough to use something like VirtualBox. I am just about to transition to my current experimental machine for my production machine. I just have to get my next experimental machine built and going. Then backups , backups, backups.

Reply to
JosephKK

I got curious, so i checked. They exited the consumer market completely, and returned to their roots in Pro Audio and have been alive and well through the years. The remote management facilities sounds really tasty.

Sometimes true Pro Audio really IS the easiest to use.

Reply to
JosephKK

It's here:

gmane.comp.cad.geda.user

You need to go through one authorization cycle before your first post is propagated. Sometimes Yahoo throws a wrench in there, then you have to also sign up for this groups in Yahoo using the same email address.

I suggest to also try KiCad. Run directly on Windows and IMHO it has a much more polished user interface. So far I never needed to close everything and go to the command line. But there have been PADS netlist issues, that't one of the things I'll probably get to the ground of today. Quite important here because my layouter uses PADS.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes. When I see a plastic 3.5mm jack as an audio input I get the creeps. This Marantz has real inputs. Plus it can be rack mounted which is a great plus for us. I don't like stuff flying and sliding about a table top.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

OOps! Forgot all about that. I guess I've had the same problem, and just abandoned trying to install whatever-it-was, and blocked it out of my memory. =:-O

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise