DVD recorders

As I'm well out of touch with the current DVD recorders can you tell me if they have settled down for a standard yet.My VCR is on its way out and some of the new DVD recording machines are pretty cheap.100 pounds in one UK supermarket with 6 hours recording to disc.As some others are over 250 pounds I seem to recall there was a dispute over which type of machine would end up in our homes,just like the old Betamax days. I know some record to a hard drive and some don't.Any advice will be appreciated

Reply to
Seafarer

In May panasonic brings out their new models. Wait for those.

Reply to
sarah

thanks for that,had a bad experience with Pan but if they are good I'll wait and see.Regards

Reply to
Seafarer

Hi,

No they havn't settled on a standard format but its not so bad as the old VHS/BETA/V2000 days as most recorders will do more than one format and of course the discs are the same size unlike the old days of tape!

Multi format recorders seem to be the future.

Sony are into DVD+R, DVD-R (write once) and DVD-RW & DVD+RW (rewrite) but not DVD-RAM which is Panasonic's baby! For day to day recording an HD model is the best option, then you can dump anything you wan't to a DVD disc.

Philip

Reply to
Electric dabbler

Sony and Toshiba have come to an agreement to come up with a third standard for HD recording which will incorporate both BR and HD-DVD.

Leonard

model

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

You're right, I'd forgotton about HD - and then there's BLU-RAY . Perhaps the VHS/BETA war will skip standard definition and happen again for HD recording. Perhaps JVC will pitch in with some sort of HD-VHS!!!

Philip

Reply to
Electric dabbler

HD VCRs have been around for a while now. JVC is part of the Blu-Ray camp for HD recorders. There appears to be an aggreement between the two camps, led by Sony and Toshiba to produce one product with the advantages of both to avoid a format war. The format confusion has already existed for DVD recording for SD but is largely irrelevant due to the pervasiveness of multi-format devices.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Thanks for that,I think I've sort of got it.If I want to use the DVD as VCR then in should be HD Right?or at least DVD RW.Thanks.

Reply to
Seafarer