Simple crank powered USB phone charger?

Hello, I would like to build a simple crank powered USB charger. I have very little experience in electronics, but I think this is how I would do it:

Any guidance concerning components types/specifics and general design would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for reading!

Reply to
kiqyou_vf

You should check out this from a concurrent thread.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:07:48 -0800 (PST)) it happened kiqyou_vf wrote in :

Use a bike with the dynamo and a rectifier and some regulator... At least then the mechacial part already exists, and you can sit down while making electricity :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Some hand-crank flashlights have a cellphone charger output. Spend $5 and save yourself a bunch of hassle.

Reply to
mike

Please take this to sci.electronics.basics.

Reply to
JosephKK

The $ 5 ones might be a hassle too, if they're too cheap!

Emergency gear that breaks easily because it's too cheap would be a problem when you need it.

The Red Cross labeled ones are more like $ 30.

That camiselectronics page with the tree mount Mortley Sprague Hand Crank generator (HD550-HD600) is now a dead page, but I suspect that it would be way too expensive except for military use.

Can anybody find a source/price for that unit?

Notice that the cheapie rechargers are being promoted one Chinese outfit/trade group as a promotional ( advertising giveaway ) item like cheap clocks or ball point pens.

Reply to
Greegor

Please stop directing folks around the group(s).

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I rather wonder if they really did many tests on them, though, or just took a large payment in exchange for a manufacturer to slap their logo on it in the hopes of better sales.

I practice, I think that crank-powered radios are more a novelty than a true emergency tool -- radio receivers draw so little power that you usually get some tens of hours off of a pair of "AA" batteries, so a pack of, say, 24 "AA" batteries will more than last you through all but the most extreme disasters (e.g., hurricane Katrina) anyway.

Personally I'd go for a good-quality 5W solar panel and a handful of rechrageable AAs...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The above link / subpage stopped working before Feb 3. Apparently that page was moved to the following link:

This link works for that heavy duty looking Mortley Sprague Hand drive generator (HD550/HD600) ( As of Feb 11, 2010 )

Reply to
Greegor