Are there simple line-powered MP3 recorders?

So what are you doing with a _ZX81_ running on for 25 years?

Is it trapped in an application running a nuclear power plant by any chance?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:42:02 +0000) it happened Adrian C wrote in :

No, that adaptor has been running many different things that needed 9 -to 12V DC Now it runs my SWR meter... It did run the home control system for years, an other smaller adapter does that now.

Also use it for experimenting any time I need a 12V or so.

Yes, that site, I actually had 2 ZX81 and 1 ZX80. Unlike the joke that guy made, I added 64k RAM, and a floppy controller, then an EPPROM programmer, then a 80 x 25 display, and wrote a CP/M clone on it, that actually did run a C compiler (Software toolworks C/80). Then I added an IBM keyboard :-), and finally replaced the old ZX81 with a processor card. You can find that OS, and a Z80 disassembler here:

Gave aways the ZXs, many many years ago, the foil keyboards fell apart anyway. But I always kept that one AC adapter. Also used the ZX81 to control an audio processing rack....

ZX81 had a very good BASIC too, with nice syntax checking, would not let you enter a wrong line.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, it has both line and mic inputs as well as its internal mics.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Currently I record on audio cassettes and then another member uses a PC to create MP3 from that:

Unfortunately it's now through this 3rd party site and it doesn't work on all PCs. The audio is also very distorted because of some wrong setting. Recording directly to MP3 so I can check it right after the service should fix that, plus save time when placing it on the web.

Yep. It used to work on every PC but not anymore :-(

We want to try an old laptop this week. If you try that you'll definitely need an audio balun, else the noise from its power brick is going to be terrible. BTDT.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, that's one place where I got them when I urgently needed one at a client: The local auto parts store.

Radio Shack used to have some but the in-store stuff is now often reduced to plain old consumer gear. Sad.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Probably one of those dreaded plastic-jacketed 3.5mm stereo jacks that are known for intermittent connections :-(

A lot of times I had to use a rubber band to pull the plug to the side so the audio wouldn't crackle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

In the old days this was simple: Philips screw driver, lift off lid, snip, done ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Wal*Mart has them as well (back with the car stereo stuff).

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:15:02 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

That only makes it worse, as it bends the contacts away. Better solder on some wire and use a decent external connector, if you cannot replace the bad one. And use gold plated contacts.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's the usual. The ugliest kludges have a habit of working fine for decades. Once it works, don't touch it ;-)

Only if it is a real connector, not a 3.5mm stereo jack. The minimum would be a 1/4" (6.3mm) jack, anything smaller would need the right incantations to work reliably.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We have that here at home. But MD is a dying format.

The sermon at church, roughly 30mins. Plus occasionally a complete memorial service which can be 1.5hrs.

Batteries are a big no-no at church unless absolutely needed. They leak, they are depleted just at the wrong time, just not practical. Best is a simple power connection. Why use batteries when 120V is right there?

Oh, they do crash, just differently. Rat-tat-tat-*CLUNK*. Then you have to surgically remove oodles of mangled tape. BTDT.

Yeah, that would have the real retro-feel :-)

Or maybe Edison's drum recorder ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:06:35 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I have some all metal external (cable) female 3.5 mm connectors that have worked OK for years.

Else the metal DIN 3 or 5 pole are very reliable.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This one looks a bit dubious but it appears to be aimed at your sort of application (uses SD cards).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, they do get flaky after awhile, it's true. On the other hand the whole thing just about disappears in my fist.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

worked

I do, too. But the plastic stuff that you find embedded in many of those audio gizmos is usually the same low grade as on PC sound cards.

Sure. But totally unknown in America. So, before moving to the US I bought a bunch of them in Europe because our old Saba stereo has those. Also the Philips Gamma tube set (remember those?).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Aha! Thanks. Rackmount is even better. I just wonder what they mean by power supply, a wall wart or something a notch better. I'll show this to the guys at church, if they want it I'll find out whether this recorder can ignore the internal flash and go straight to removeable memory, and what kind the supply is.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:05:45 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

For those wondering what it is:

No, but I remember the Philips Plano, I liked those models:

Note the EM80 cat eye.

Jan Panteltje

[...]

Sorry, typo, it's the Philips Gemma:

Way too modern in the design of it's enclosure ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:48:29 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Ah, yes, remember that very well, beautiful knobs too :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Huh?

Cheers! Rich