Are there simple line-powered MP3 recorders?

Well yeah, boutique stuff at boutique prices.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

worked

half way down.

I used to buy loys of metal cased DIN connectors made by Switchcraft.

near the bottom of the page.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ouch. Triple ouch. I'll have to tell the guys at church. When I mentioned it to our member who is the IT guru he really liked it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On closer look, it doesn't look so good. Miserable non-obvious limitations.

1) Power supply is an external 12V wall wart

2) External SD card is 512M max. You probably won't be able to buy them that small for much longer.

3) Recording directly to SD is limited to non-MP3 format.

Badly in need of an update to SDHC and/or USB host.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Boutique? I have used them since 1970, and have never had a bad connector from them. If you want quality, you pay for it. once. Switchcraft makes mil spec, commercial and broadcast quality parts, not consumer junk. I have had idiots drive over some of their XLR style connectors, and some all metal 1/4" Phone plus & jacks that were laying on concrete, without damaging them.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sure. XLR is great, much better contacts than DIN usually. DIN never made it over here and even for a cheap plastic version they often want >$3 a pop. I haven't seen them used anywhere other than on import devices. I think they are even going lalaland in Europe now, haven't seen a stereo from there with DIN in a long time and that's where they were built in all the time (the 3- and 5-pin versions).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I was using them in 1970. A lot of imported stereo junk had 5 pin DIn connectors. Radio shack, and about every wholesaler carried them, along with other types. I still have a bunch of NOS Switchcraft metal 8 pin DIN plugs that fit the seven pin power connector on the Commodore 64, after you cut off the center pin.

I never really liked the DIN connectors. Most of what was available was early Japanese crap with bad plating that would peel off the pins after you soldered the wire to them. The plastic had a low melting point, so there were a lot of damaged plugs. I think they shipped the rejects to the US and used what passed inspection in their products.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have a Zoom H2. Walwart powered, though it last a long time on just batteries.

Here is the quick dope on the product. It has a line input, mic input, and built in microphones. The mic input is a mini and very noisy. The line input is excellent, but there is a caveat in that the line input goes directly into the ADC. The digital leve control is just a post recording scaler. The analog playback is noisy.

So here is what actually works well. Four channel recording with built in microphones, two channel recording with built in microphones, and line recording. It records to SDHC cards in PCM or MP3.

The unit is relatively cheap if you look around. About $150.

And for your entertainment, I did this recording:

miso

Thanks, and also thanks to all the other posters. After a hint from a German audio engineer we have decided to purchase a Marantz PMD-580, a bit steep at just under $1000 but it is a great allrounder. Besides fulfilling all our requirements it has a major plus and that is being able to schedule recordings via a LAN connection and also downloading its recordings from remote. That's huge. This is the machine:

Otehr than that, XLR input, very large dynamic range, the works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Looks like a good unit! good thing I didn't see it two months ago, or I would have used it instead of the SSCDR-1. Of course, then I would have needed to run an ethernet cable out to the dias where the clerks station is, and my conduit is already overfilled... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

[snip]

"dias" ?:-)

Vaya Con Dias -Chuck Berry

...Jim Thompson

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress
discovers that it can bribe the public with the public\'s money."

                 - Alexis de Tocqueville

So I am a dyslexic typer/speller... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I've used the PMD660. Very nice. I'm sure the line powered unit will be super. However, it would make recording cattle quite difficult. ;-)

For some reason, I thought you wanted the controls at hand, i.e. you wanted a cassette replacement.

Seems to me you need to split the microphone signal, or maybe tap the signal from the recorder in order to get it into the PA.

Reply to
miso

You can do that with these units. The front panel is simple, has a REC button. It looks like it just needs to be programmed correctly, once.

It's a mixer line-out that goes to the cassette recorder, hearing-impaired transmitter and cry-room amp. Want to keep the cassettes for various reasons, as backup until MP3 proves reliable and also for people to take to shut-ins. So it'll be just one more tap ... ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This is becoming the obvious embedded RTLinux PC project. Select your PC104 form factor stuff, stir in the right Linux stuff and boom, it just works.

Reply to
JosephKK

Well, we just ordered a top-of-the-line Marantz recorder. Even easier: Plug it in, turn it on, press "REC" -> works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

When can we expect to hear the results of the new recorder on the web site? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:52:56 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Yes, but where is the challenge?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A few weeks maybe. Some wiring will have to be re-done and I as well as our IT pro must to do that after work. Also, the old rack needs to be re-built and so on. Not exactly a piece of cake.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Right now I don't need any more challenges :-)

Besides a few client projects I am trying to migrate to gEDA. Got it running but the symbol editing turns out to be a real bear. Plus learning all the Linux-speak.