Anyone make...

LED or CFL, LED preferred...

PAR30LN shape

Light output equivalent to 150W Halogen (or more :-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Doesn?t look like they even make a 150PAR30LN. The 75's are 945 Lumens, and the 15w CFl version comes in at 670 Lumens. FYI, a LED version is only 587 Lumens for a small sum of $116.

I would think a motion sensor would be cheaper.

Martin Riddle

Some 45W CFL's give 2800 lumens, just a little short of the

3000 lumens that some 150W halogen lamps are rated at.

Joe

I have the same need. 1000 lumen halogen is the best I've been able to find. 8-(

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Having visited here you probably guessed where they're needed... in that very-high-ceiling kitchen... 6 x 75W Halogen floods and it's still dark :-( ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Old house? Makes you wonder how the oldies managed before electric light? Lots of dark corners? Gloomy...

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Lots of house fires from knocked over candles or kerosene lanterns...

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Modern house with 16' ceilings in many places... and they're NOT cathedral-style.

Skylights also, in the kitchen, but at night :-( ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Look into a HID par30 like this

1200 lumens, I havent looked further, may be more that are brighter.

Martin Riddle

Interesting, Martin! I see some remarkably bright PAR30L ones (2200 lumens) but they require an external ballast. How is the light (color temperature and stability) for working?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can get them (LED) in red, yellow and green. Is that close enough?

Reply to
JosephKK

Here is the Osram info, data sheet

Color temp is 4200k.

I'm wondering about temperature, and I see you need an external ballast. I have no experience with these, but if you want more light, it seems to be the way to go.

Martin Riddle

Are any of the metal halide types suitable for home use? ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Greenish? Factory lighting style, we had a new wine store open with very high ceilings and industrial lighting, throws all the bottle label colours off (probably more than my extra 'u' does :)

Don't think you'd like them, unless they colour corrected?

I prefer daylight triple phosphor CFL lamps for work area. Got 5 x 25W in here, and I live in small unit (apartment). And I use high temperature

20W halogen globes in desk lamps too, they're a long life (8000h) higher brightness globe.

Daylight lamps' colour matches what you get from the skylights too. Was at a friends place and noticed her warm white CFL kitchen lamps looked very yellow compared to the high ceiling skylight. She's happy with it.

Depends whether you prefer warm white, cool white or daylight flouros, go from there? At least with the RGB LED option you may get to mix the final light colour?

I'm not sure white LEDs are so good, as they fake it with blue LED and yellow phosphor, too bluish or artificial looking -- but one gets used to any light (or colour rendering) after a time. Maybe they improve at the high spec end?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I have experimented with metal halide indoors. There are a few issues. First, for safety, if the bulb is not going to be enclosed in a fixture which provides protection from flying debris if the HID explodes, then you need an "open rated" bulb which has an extra heavy duty quartz shroud around the burner inside the outer envelope.

I have experimented with a Venture lighting MP 50W/U/UVS/PS with I think has a 4100K color temp (I prefer) and a Philips ceramic metal halide (CMH) ED-17 protected 50W lamp. Also, a Philips Master Color CDM

35/PAR20/M/SP.

The 35W PAR is a bit warm for my tastes, and looks almost idential in color and similar in flux to a 150W halogen. Color rendering is as good as an incandescent.

The ED-17 50W bulb produces fantastic light. It has a very even spatial distribution of color temp, which is not the case with non ceramic metal halide burners. This is less of a problem with frosted envelopes, which mine are not.

I bought very high quality electronic ballasts, Advance IM-50-A-LF ballasts, which can power both 35W and 50W HIDs.

I don't have an appropriate fixture for the bulbs, so I use them experimentally only. My investigations revealed that the fixtures were quite expensive, and almost nobody in residential lighting sales had any knowledge of them.

I am however seeing extensive deployment of PAR CMH lamps in the malls. Most major manufacturers (Philips, Osram, GE, etc.) are now making CMH lamps in low wattages for retail sales applications. They generally have very good spectra for high CRI, despite still some variance in color temp from batch to batch.

But the energy savings is huge, so for large deployments it pays to invest in these.

I have a spare Advance ballast if anyone is interested. I paid over $300 for two of them. Ouch! At the time I was obsessed to have HID lighting indoors. It didn't quite work out. Though I still am fond of the technology. Anything that arcs!

There was one exception however to the near total lack of availability of HID fixtures aimed at residential lighting:

_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

Ceramic metal halides (CMH) fix the problem of poor color rendering with HIDs. CMH lamps can easily hit 92-95 CRI levels. Nothing like highbay lighting, which are not CMH.

LED is generally terrible for color rendering at this point in its development. "The spectrum is just not flat enough. It's missing deep red, cyan, and violet. I would never choose LED for a lighting application which requires good color rendering.

The closest I have seen that an LED comes to decent color rendering is from some recent "neutral white" emitters from CREE that have been deployed in these flashlights:

I have been deploying these in the labs where I work, and I just received a "mini 123" at home which is the first LED flashlight with which I can correctly distinguish the colors of all my pants hanging in the closet.

Previously, cool white LEDs made a gray mess of anything brown vs. dark green, while warm whites made slate blue look just like slate green--both look brown!

This new neutral white is remarkable, but still not perfect.

Note that LED fixture makers lag way behind the flashlight fanatics in deploying cutting edge LED emitters.

Note also that there are some high CRI emitters from Nichia, but they aren't very efficient. Not as good as fluorescent, which is still the most cost effective light source today.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

Sure with proper installation and care. On the other hand try induction lighting, long life and high output per watt.

Reply to
JosephKK

At least in uplighting, the bad spectral stability is a problem with two or more such lamps in a single room. The spectrum varies with temperature (different air flow), age and batch (e.g. the replacement lamp may have different spectrum than the originals).

The colour of the ceiling can thus be quite non-uniform.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen