Orcad Viewer doesn't work

Gents,

So, in order to be able to view Orcad schematics I gave Cadence all my information, address, profession, shoe size and so on. That allowed me to download the Myriad viewer. Tried it with various client schematics and it always results in the same error:

"File load error: Internal library error"

What gives? Any idea how to fix this or about a better viewer?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's likely a *PHUT* in mouth problem :-) You not only need the client's schematics... you also need the client's symbol libraries and OrCAD INI file. ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Library error. Sounds like a set up file error or such. Did you try to ask THEM about it, or even perform a simple google search to see if it is a known, already fixed problem in the EDA user world?

What about simply going to their user support forum and seeing if it is a known problem?

Sounds like a simple setup error where it is looking for a path they hard coded into their app, when they should have put some polling code into the install dialogs.

And as the Thompson turkey said, you likely need any libraries they used OR created, but the ini file has to be YOUR ini file that points to your locations for the libraries.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

Back in the DOS-Orcad days (as in, "when things still worked") I believe one could store with lib parts embedded or not. Problem is, AFAIU Myriad only has a file -> open option, didn't see anything where you could load libs and stuff. What I have is *.dsn files.

Man, Eagle is so much better, the *.sch files always contain _everything_. But Orcad is like Windows, everyone uses it for whatever reason.

Is there an Orcad viewer that allows lib loading?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That is the biggest problem with the use and creation of "custom" libraries.

I agree. All drawing elements of ANY drawing of ANY type should be included IN the drawing such that any appropriate viewr can load and examine the drawing.

But hey, these dumb kids these days do all kinds of stupid shit. Look at the Linux live distros. ALL Linux installs ASK the installer where he wants to install the boot loader. Some of these dopes went and cut out that query step from their install scripts and now the damn shit trashes ANY computer with multiple OSes on it all because some pathetic punk didn't think that the query dialog was needed.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

Well! I have the real deal so I can convert my Schematics to OrCAD for those clients needing it.

Charlie E would know... he used to work for MicroSim/OrCAD/Cadence. ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

That's a pretty stupid claim to make since the viewer he refers to came directly from them as well.

Real deal indeed. Sheesh. He wasn't converting them, he wanted to VIEW them.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

I thought the schematics were self-contained. Capture has a function to export the components in a given schematic to a custom library.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Web search, yes, came up with four hits. The answers essentially were that it doesn't work.

Couldn't get in. Possibly my firewall blocks something and it usually has good reasons for that. Wish companies were as smart as Cadsoft which runs all Eagle support forums in (tada!) newsserver fashion.

Yea, well, if there was at least a minor hint in the error message or the help files as to what it expects to be there. But, only error and abort. For some reason none of my readers for other CAD formats do that. They just work.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yup. **Everything**.

JeffM

What about the Capture CIS Viewer?

You do need the Lib files for the custom parts.

Martin Riddle

Yep, Now I remember. The originating designer can generate a self-contained OrCAD schematic that has all symbols built-in. ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

As said many times before, when dealing only with honest people (who refuse to run stolen software) there is no problem. I have had no such issues in over five years that I use Eagle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That how it used to be in the good old days of SDT. Tried that today, it no work :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thought you claimed everything worked _except_ Adobe Reader ?:-)

Poor Joerg, he was born with a silver *PHUT* in his mouth.

And already suffering from old-age-syndrome... he can't cope with anything he didn't learn to use years ago :-) ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

That one is for converting between formats. For viewing itself they recommend the capture viewer (Myriad).

Where do I load them to? Myriad does not have any parking structure for libraries.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This is not a crash, it simply refuses to eat *dsn files but was advertised as a viewer for the software that generated them. But the manufacturer.

Adobe Reader is different. You load a file and it completely crashes. Interestingly, Foxit opens the same PDF file without any problems whatsoever. Now what does that tell us?

Huh? I am always learning, often way outside my trade. Right now some aerospace stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

Why the Myriad Viewer?

I just looked. Don't you want...

OrCAD Capture/OrCAD Capture CIS ViewReader ???

Isn't it "Capture" Schematics you're trying to read? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Per Cadence that one is for conversions between various file formats:

Quote "You can use the Cadence® OrCAD® ViewReader to convert Viewlogic ViewDraw designs in OrCAD Capture or OrCAD Capture CIS versions 7.2, v9, v9.1, v9.2, v9.2.1, 10.X and 15.7"

Whereas for Myriad they say, quote "View and redline OrCAD Capture schematics without changing the original design"

And that's not working.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

AFAIK there's not an option to _not_ generate a self-contained .DSN file- the parts are stored in the design cache, which is part of the .DSN file. The links to the original libraries are there too, but should not be dereferenced.

Maybe they didn't save it right:

"If you copy or move a document from one design or library to another, you should save the destination design or library immediately. If you do not, you may lose data if you open the moved document in the schematic page editor or part editor and then close the editor without saving the document"

Also.. you are having an awful lot of problems- and Orcad is a pretty "light" and undemanding program in a single user situation*.. can you try it on another XP machine?

  • and apparently endless trouble when you have to run the license dongle on a virtual machine on a server. 8-(
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany