An old timey radio

Greegor expounded in news:ef351e11-56d6-4d3f-a879- snipped-for-privacy@34g2000pru.googlegroups.com:

Antique Radio Supply still sells vibrators. I built a tube supply from one about 10 years ago.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

I wonder how much energy it would take to fry the microwave diode detector in certain speed sensing devices ?. Would need to be portable and work from 12 auto battery.

This link looked promising:

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I had a friend who, upon spying a parked police car sporting a hang-out-the-window (CW) type of speed radar, would stop and walk up to the police car and "ask directions"... while carrying an aluminum clipboard ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Arcs happen when energy pumped into an antenna exceed a pain threshold.

I do know about pulses, grew up with them. Nothing in life is perfect and I know for a fact, and from experience, that a tube amp can fare a whole lot better than other amps. Especially in situations where you can't use limiter diodes to the rails.

Have you seen this site?

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If you look at a typical doppler module, only a small sample of the gunn diode op is fed to the mixer, so a nice reflector might damage the diode. Perhaps not on the old 1n23 types, but maybe on the modern smaller junction schottky devices.

Have been musing on such a generator for some time, though they are switching many of the sensing devices off in the uk. Lack of funds and any real evidence that lives were saved, other than in genuine black spots. Of course, you could always try an ex airbourne radar pulsed magnetron to do the job, complete with a bit of waveguide and dish. A

10Ghz at 50Kw pulse or few would most likely flatline the 24 and 36Ghz examples as well :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Most of AZ, where you can really open up the speed, is so flat and straight that a radar detector will detect a cop at least a mile before they can get a speed reading. I regularly drive Phoenix to Yuma at about 110MPH. Usually I can SEE the cop car before the radar detector goes off ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I think there was a us ww2 mil radio, BC????, which used loctal based

7xx series tubes and the 28 volt rail for ht. Also, the small intercom amplifier that used a single tube, a 27 volt heater version of the 6n7 or similar.

Maybe any tube will work at low ht, just some have better characteristics...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Wish we had roads like that in England. Long, straight, empty roads as far as the eye can see. If you want to speed test a car here, you choose

4 in the morning on little used sections of motorway out in the sticks.

A more recent development from the deranged minds of our public servants are time average cameras. Very unsporting devices that read the car numberplate at one camera, read it again with another a few miles down the road, then compute average speed. Not too common yet, but the only way to avoid them at present is to snuck in beside a tall truck on the inside lane as you pass by.

I guess a few 10's of Kw pulsed at 10 gig might saturate video camera sensor preamps as well, especially if you chirp the prf. Might make an interesting hobby ecm project :-)...

Regrds,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I thought of responding to the flash of a speed camera with a slave flash intense enough to blind the camera ;-)

Here in AZ, see a camera, come back in the dead of night with a 30-06 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

? Wave clipboard and set off the detector??

Reply to
Robert Baer

Of course, just obeying the posted limit is out of the question, right? There's allegedly a reason for posting a speed limit - it has something to do with reducing the number of people killed by lunatics, scofflaws, and their own negligince/stupidity, I think.

Or, for that matter, couldn't you use that "chunnel" and open it up on a German autobahn?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Wow, do I detect a closet authoritarian ?. In fact, most of the time I do stick to the speed limits and for the reasons you outline above. It just offends my libertarian sensibilities to have any law that assumes the state knows better than I do what is good for me, or assumes that I will behave inappropriately in the wrong circumstances. Speeds that are excessive on busy roads might be considered pedestrian where roads are empty and you can see for miles ahead. Most drivers realise this and drive accordingly. There's also the issue of the heavy hand of the state, where millions of taxpayers pounds are spent often for little benefit other than antagonising drivers just a bit more. In some areas of the uk where the speed cameras were turned off, it made not a jot of difference to accident statistics, so why have them at all, other than some public servant thought it was a good idea to collect added revenue ?.

Yes, but it's a long way to drive just to blow out the cobwebs :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Assume that's a shotgun ?. Trouble is, they would take a dim view of that and most likely lock you up.

An old airbourne radar might be a bit of a blunt tool. To build a real ecm, you would need to measure the incoming signal frequency, then translate that to the right frequency to send back so the speed indicated low. It would also need current vehicle speed as a parameter and enough return power to swamp the normal return. Not impossible, but not a trivial exercise and you have to find out other stuff like what band is being used.

More of an design doodle than real life, but that's usenet :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Standard issue deer rifle.

Once upon a time AZ had the speed limit on rural highways stated simply as "reasonable and prudent". Somehow we had less accidents back then.

Then the "liberals" gained control and noticed that speeding tickets were a good source of income, and photo radar was even better.

Recently, in North Phoenix, an old guy drove up beside a photo radar van and blew the driver away :-)

The vans are no longer manned. They're set up and left for days at a time. Various websites now list their locations :-) ...Jim Thompson

Or just a corner reflector near the number plate :)

Probably illegal though, even in the wild west. Pretty sure it is in the UK.

Unfortunately not everyone here has access to such firepower, so here is how we do it:

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Yup! Amazing what a little thermite will do ;-)

One of the more infamous MIT pranks was thermite-welding a trolley to the tracks while it was stopped on Commonwealth Avenue at the BU station ;-) ...Jim Thompson

No, just that I do see some justification for certain laws. If I'm on some country lane, putting along at, say, 25 MPH, it would be a serious inconvenience if some idiot lost control of his car at, say, 45 and crashed into my car.

What kind of liberal are you who when you see someone advocate, say, following speed laws, which are intended to protect _other_ people from your actions, you immediately jump to the extreme and accuse me of being an authoritian?

Anarchy would be fine, if people were all willing to take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences.

But it's a little hard to pay restitution when you kill somebody.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nonsense. It's about control. If safety were the primary issue, speed limits would be set at the design limits of the highway rather than some artificial number. The 85th percentile of actual speed has been found to be a very good way to set the speed limit.

Don't let Rich fool you. He really is a leftist, in libertarian drag.

Right. When the speed limits were lowered to 55, nationwide, the fatality rate went down. When they were raised back to 65-75, it went down again. The fact is that the fatality rate continues to fall.

Reply to
krw

Which, if you take off the standard wood stock, and slap on some kewl-looking black metal and fiberglass stuff, like a pistol grip, banana clip, and laser sight, magically becomes an "assault weapon."

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's odd. Sloman seems to think I'm a neonazi like yourself.

So, have you figured out what the US administration is trying to accomplish in Afghanistan?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise