Amazon Prime whiteboard markers.

There have been fads for geodesic domes and flintstone houses and packed dirt and containers and other silly stuff. People don't like to live in them.

Reply to
jlarkin

Sure. People couldn't afford glass or floors or running water or private rooms. But a 100 year old house looks a lot like a modern one, now that we can afford basic comforts.

The lodgings of rich people were more "modern" 1000 years ago, in regards to room shapes, fireplaces, windows. We added showers and toilets and better lighting, which will probably still be popular 1000 years from now.

Billionaires live in houses a lot like ours.

Reply to
jlarkin

No books?

I have 100 year old books that work fine. I don't think an e-book will work 20 years from now.

Reply to
jlarkin

Don Y snipped-for-privacy@foo.invalid wrote in news:shd4nn$d9$1@dont- email.me:

That is so funny on... well... only one level.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: snip

I sent you a whiteboard marker link.

They call it dry erase.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I feel the same way about cemeteries. And cremation as well. So, I donated my body to science. I hope some part of it is useful.

Reply to
John S

Neither will I. I'm 80 years old.

Reply to
John S

Everybody has some use, at least as bad example..

Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

You mean two years from now, not even 20.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I have some that are 250 years old, but they aren't paper.

The ones that are merely 100 years old are mostly ending up in a charity shop, and probably pulped. One I'm keeping is the Scientific American Cyclopedia of Formulas, 1100 pages of everything from many different types of solder, to orange bitters, salves, silk dying, pigeon food, ivory hardening, etc

The /information/ in the ebooks will still be around, assuming no apocalypse (and you haven't bought DRM'ed books where your rights have been removed by the server being disconnected).

So will that cyclopedia!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I've told my daughter to feed me to her dog. Illegality aside, I don't think she would, unfortunately.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

100 is very different from 1000. 1000 years ago they didn't have windows, bedrooms, toilets, baths, the roofs were reeds, and the walls were made of wood, clay, sand, faeces mixed together. Bricks are a recent invention.

I've had to repair and I'm in the process of starting to flog a 180 year old house, so I have some concept of the similarities and differences! Let's start with the walls being 3ft thick at the base and 1ft thick at the top.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Thursday, 9 September 2021 at 12:17:28 UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote: ...

Not really - bricks have been around for many thousands of years.

They became popular in England several hundred years ago but they were expensive to start with.

kw

ke...

Tom Gardner snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:shdm2j$vva$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Instead of an e-book just hunt up (track down?) and DL pdf versions of your favorite books and those will last forever from a PC POV.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You have a point!

In the UK the damp/rain meant that early weren't practical for large weight bearing structures. ISTR that one early use of them was for fireplaces and chimneys, where the extra cost was justified by fire-resistance.

That, 500 years ago, enabled the design of houses to be radically improved over those earlier times.

Tom Gardner