Amazon

Somebody borrowed my Fluke 8845A, so rather than hunting it down, I went to my Amazon Prime page and did the one-click thing in a few seconds. It arrived in a few days, with a cal certificate. I don't think my old one was calibrated in a lot of years.

Amazon is amazing. They have all sorts of parts and gear. One-click can become an addiction.

Amazon's revenue is about 0.7% of US GDP.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yup. They're evil, but they're really really good at it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

One problem is stuff seems to be mostly from China and has no North American safety regulations. I bought a couple of 15" LCD monitor (for repairing video games) from Amazon and the power supply was total crap. Had a three pong computer cord female with a two prong male... The DC adapter had no markings on it so I chucked them and used proper UL/CSA versions - but your average homeowner is going to be for a nasty surprise when their house catches fire from shoddy electricals. Particularly if their insurance company doesn't cover it as the items that caused the fire were not up to code (if the insurance company figures that out).

Amazon does ask that their sellers read the page on regulations, but I doubt many do.

The spring, as an experiment, we put up some 100 items for sale on Amazon. However I find that their seller setup seems geared to Chinese suppliers as the shipping allowance is around $6CAD (around $4USD) so if

you pay more that that to ship an item to the customer you pretty much have to raise your asking price enough to cover shipping (or take a hit on your profit). Now if you use Amazon's storage, etc. then shipping is lower, but you pay rent...and if stuff doesn't sell, well, the monthly fees march on.

The more Amazon grows the less service there will be... Amazon is not responsible (so they say) for goods sold through their site, and the sellers can simply vanish if a problem arises. A recipe for disaster.

John PS, I do buy some things on Amazon even still...

Reply to
John Robertson

I just wish I had a monopoly on the cardboard business.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hmm 'evil'? I like Amazon. McMaster-Carr is good too, The catalog index is amazing, and online as good or better. You pay a bit more but I don't mind. Delivery is next day, nice when prototyping. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Home Depot is evil. Want a 1/4-28 pan head Phillips? "Aisle 16, Bay-20"

When what they really mean is: somewhere in the store, maybe, not necessarily individually packaged (might be part of some other product), but if it is available separately, we'll only have one fewer than the actual quantity you need.

Yeah, sometimes McMaster's prices are totally justifiable.

Reply to
mpm

BTW: Henry Frank Phillips was a U.S. businessman from Portland, Oregon. The Phillips-head screw and screwdriver are named after him.

Born: June 4, 1889, Bolivar, MO Died: April 13, 1958, Portland, OR

Reply to
mpm

Free market, baby! If you don't want your house to burn down don't buy stuff that burns down your house. You didn't have to buy anything at all so it's nobody's fault but your own.

Reply to
bitrex

That's valid given two preconditions: - you are in a position to make valid judgements - the manufacturers tell the truth

Neither is likely to be valid for most people.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Also assuming it burns down just your house/apartment.

Are they making those with fireproof barriers between neighbors now? :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Not over here :(

The extremely - infamously - right-wing local authority[1] colluded with private interests to allow this to happen. The enquiry is just starting, and there are *barrels* of worms to be uncovered. Nobody will escape blame, except the residents that had been warning of this for over a year.

The resident in the flat where the blaze started has also been formally explicitly and completely exonerated; he did everything that he could do, and did it correctly.

[1] Kensington and Chelsea, which contains the highest value houses in the country. A couple of decades ago its leader fled to Israel after being convicted of gerrymandering and corruption.
Tom Gardner

Oops; wrong URL that merely has a "good" picture.

A better URL is

but that states he hasn't been /formally/ exonerated, yet.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

====snip====

That's ever so true. Unfortunately, most of the consuming masses never did "Cynicism 101", so tend to accept "advertising" as "truth" (in particular the implied claims made by carefully crafted 'copy'[1] where the various caveats (the free 'get out of jail' disclaimers) are tucked away on the back pages in fine print).

[1] Crafted by or with the guidance of 'The Best Money Can Buy' psychologists, versed in the fine art of saying one thing whilst planting a totally different idea (the advertising payload) into the minds of their target audience (in reality, 'The Prey').
--
Johnny B Good
Reply to

Bullshit. Do you have even one example to support this claim? No, I didn't think so.

Utter paranoid nonsense. You and ShortBit are a perfect pair.

Reply to
krw

Johnny B Good / bitrex... non-producers who can't therefore afford to be consumers of things that might burn their house down >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't got a clue what Bitrex and Johnny B Good might produce, or what they could afford, so feels free to generate his own hypotheses. Krw and dear dim Dan are similarly unconstrained.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Dear Dim Dan still is able to score higher on IQ tests than you. And went to a better university than you. And is richer than you. And what is more Poor Dim Dan does not have a inferiority complex and does not feel necessary to insult most posters.

Dan , Earth

Reply to
dcaster

d Johnny B Good might produce, or what they could afford, so feels free to generate his own hypotheses. Krw and dear dim Dan are similarly unconstrain ed.

Dear Dim Dan still thinks he can score higher on IQ tests than I can, when he doesn't know what I've scored on IQ tests, and is dim enough to think th at scores on a test that is primarily designed to be cheap and quick are wo rth worrying about. More expensive signals - like names on patents and pape rs published in peer-reviewed journals - don't register with him, because h e hasn't generated any of them.

Which mainly means that he had richer parents than most - my parents were r ich enough to have bought me entry into any Australian university, but they didn't have to. Australia doesn't have an Ivy League, so there wasn't a lo t of point in being fussy back then.

A claim that is entirely based on what he thinks he can guess about my weal th. He went quiet for a bit when he realised that an inner city apartment i n Sydney with a view of the harbour isn't evidence of poverty, but his natu ral optimism seems to have reasserted itself.

s not feel necessary to insult most posters.

Poor dim Dan hasn't noticed that I only insult some posters. Working out wh ether they deserved it would be the kind of complication that he chooses to evade.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

  • Like increasingly prevailing "information"/ads on present day sites rendered in 6 point text, light grey on white background OR rather dark grey on black background. The 6-point stuff is obviously fine print; the extremely low contrast stuff is equivalent.
Reply to
Robert Baer

n he doesn't know what I've scored on IQ tests, and is dim enough to think that scores on a test that is primarily designed to be cheap and quick are worth worrying about. More expensive signals - like names on patents and pa pers published in peer-reviewed journals - don't register with him, because he hasn't generated any of them.

Someone said that you posted your IQ once and that it was in the 130's. W hich is what I would guess based on you posts here.

I suspect your attitude about IQ tests is influenced by the fact that you d o not score all that well. I agree that other signals may be more indicat ive of intelligence. Signals as how much your net worth has increased sinc e you started working. Especially how much of the increase is due to you and excluding increases generated by your wife.

Dan earth

Reply to
dcaster