All about the Pain not the Dollars

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is blaming sequestration for its plan to furlough hundreds of workers at power plants across the country, but could end up canceling out any savings by paying out costly overtime to keep the electricity flowing.

Read more:

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Just another example of the un-American swine civilians working for the Arm y attempting to sabotage the Presidency and Congress. There are provisions for exempting employees in critical occupational positions. The Army does n ot want to figure out how to do it so they can create a crisis, and of cour se coincidently publicize it as much as possible to the gullible American p ublic. Looks like some senior management need to be put on permanent furlou gh and replaced with people who know how to make it work.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

40 years ago, the burden for a technical employee was 40% or so. Can't imagine it's any less today with all the new requirements, obamacare etc.

So, you pay 40% extra for some lazy employee to sit on his ass 40 hours a week... Or you pay 50% overtime of the salary part just for the overtime and keep people busy.

Every situation is different, but it's not as simple as it looks on the surface.

Having said that...I'm not sure I want a temporary employee with high turnover running my nuclear power plant.

Reply to
mike

Aren't those hydroelectric plants in the story? Does the Army Corps of Engineers operate a nuclear power plant? The Army Nuclear Reactor Program was terminated in 1977.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Engineers operate a nuclear power plant? The Army Nuclear Reactor Program was terminated in 1977.

Yes, no, don't know. Commercial power reactors are run by the utilities and are under the DOE, not DOD. That won't stop the leftists, though. After all, they blamed the recent mortar accident on sequestration, too.

Reply to
krw

ngineers operate a nuclear power plant? The Army Nuclear Reactor Program wa s terminated in 1977.

The story is about their plants on the Missouri and their rogue civil servi ce trying to blackmail the administration with a manufactured crisis. They own and operate 75 power plants nationwide, all hydroelectric, they do not operate nuclear power plants or have anything to do with nuclear.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Engineers operate a nuclear power plant? The Army Nuclear Reactor Program was terminated in 1977.

trying to blackmail the administration with a manufactured crisis. They own and operate 75 power plants nationwide, all hydroelectric, they do not operate nuclear power plants or have anything to do with nuclear.

I was specifically referring to:

"Having said that...I'm not sure I want a temporary employee with high turnover running my nuclear power plant."

...as I thought you were.

Reply to
krw

Okay, my point was the OP doesn't know what he's talking about because Army Corps of Engineers doesn't operate any nukes.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

attempting to sabotage the Presidency and Congress.

They don't need any help to show their incompetence. The current administration is more than capable of sabotaging anything you can name. Just as you are incapable of arguing without telling lies.

Why didn't Obama lay off his SS squad to save money?

enough left over to pay them.

   Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week. :(
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Cuting the front line services is an old and well known tactic that is a bit like holding people hostage.

It's called the "close the washington monument" scam it's also known as the "firemen first" ploy.

Reply to
Greegor

Corps of Engineers doesn't operate any nukes.

Geez, I was writing to apologize for adding nuclear to my post when I looked again and see I didn't. So my point stands, "Don't make cuts that will create additional costs"

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

They can't spend money they don't have. No one really cares what most of these fictional government operations do one way or the other. The main thing is their department-wide budget is reduced by the sequestration amount.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

...BUT that is EXACTLY what large companies do - they make ranDUMB cuts to "save" money, and compound the error by hiring two college grads that need 2 years of training to get up to speed - instead of hiring one "old fart" that has 20-40 years of EXPERIENCE, because the wages of the kids is less than that of the "old fart".

Reply to
Robert Baer

l costs"

       Mikek
16.7.
--
Cheers,
James Arthur

If an outside group sought to leverage a small sum to cause the maximum possible chaos, panic, and disruption of society--especially to identify, target, and paralyze transportation and vital services-- to accomplish a political goal, what would we call that?

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

ut

No, think about it. Fear, chaos, and disruption, for political ends...what do we call that?

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Corps of Engineers doesn't operate any nukes.

Not you, "Mike".

Reply to
krw

costs"

The credit pool for the US is infinite, remember?

Reply to
krw