Engineering Softwares (not software engineers)

Is someone here has recommendations for good softwares for engineers and scientists?

Thanks,

Reply to
idtamir

Software to do what?

For pestering your boss (or clients) for more money use a good Voip application, or an email program such as Thunderbird.

For writing specifications, use a word processor such as Word, Wordperfect (I think it's still around), or OpenOffice.org Write.

For doing spreadsheets and graphs that less sophisticated engineers will be able to play with, use Excel or OpenOffice.org Calc.

For doing big calculations that will go fast, and to repeat the same calculations on many different data sets, use MATLAB or Scilab or Octave.

I could go on, but perhaps you get the idea that you need to refine your question?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Doom II.

John

MAME.

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Let me refine my question... What are the most common programming languages for sophisticated engineering and scientific works? (Is it MatLab/Scilab/Octave/....or even Java?

Thank you for your comment

Reply to
idtamir

This is way off-topic for this NG, and you're coming from Google Groups--two strikes against. However, since you at least bottom-posted, and it might not be homework, I'll give you a straight answer. ;)

For scratchpad things, I personally like MathCad. Been using it since Version 2.0 in about 1989, and stopped with Version 6 because I like it and it runs everywhere I care about. Not a speed demon.

For single-processor stuff to be used by one or a few people, Matlab or Octave. Matlab has got much faster over the years, and incorporates a whole lot of the best open source routines.

For heavy-iron (especially cluster-based) systems, Fortran or C++ with some communications library such as OpenMPI. For many purposes you can bolt together canned routines published on the Web (e.g. FFTW) to do most of the actual number crunching, and just write the I/O and control code yourself. (I generally can't do this since some of my stuff might wind up in an IBM product, and cross-contaminating like that is a _big_ no-no.)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

EEyore prefers 'Donkey Kong'.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Doom II ?! Ever played Unreal Tournament 2004?

mrdarrett

lol :)

Long ago, I've gotten two companies hooked on Quake II multiplayer over the local network.

Company Progress: /\\/\\/\\/\\ ^ | \\ / | \\ /| | \\ ^ | | \\ / | | :P | After>

Before I got hired

------time---->

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Doom II, who needs anything else!

John Larkin, a man after by gaming heart! ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

Well, he didn't specify at all what kind of engineering he wants to do. Anyhow, I recommend to check out LTSpice (by Linear Technology). One of the best simulators since sliced bread and free.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How 'bout Pong?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

engineers

what ? no Rogue, HACK or Conquest

and i thought i was one of the *young* ones :( robb

Reply to
robb

Well, we could always put together Tennis for Two.

Hey, let's get RAT to build the game with tubes and SED to build the internet interface so we can all play a tournament over TCP/IP. ;o)

Tim

Tim Williams