All is not lost

If you inadvertently try to cut a piece of spring wire with those expensive side-cutters, the pain can be lessened by the knowledge that you now have a pair of one-size-only wire strippers.

Reply to
L.A.T.

One quickly learns that cutting of springs should only be done with someone elses cutters..............

Reply to
Den

My cutters have instructions marked on them, for maximum gauge, copper only - ignore at your peril.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

You need E.A.berg pianotrad music wire cutters [If they are still made]

Reply to
F Murtz

Farnell will sell you a nice pair for $280:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

If you cut a power cord that is still pluged in , you will have two places to strip wire. Don't ask how I found this out.

Reply to
WW

But I don't have any wire either size {:-).

Reply to
terryc

E.A.Berg was taken over by Bahco and they have cutters with progressively hardened jaws so you can cut piano wire at the back and copper at the front.

Reply to
F Murtz

Why not make them hard all the way along? Cost? Or is there a tech reason?

Not that that would help in all cases, I've seen a jaw half break at the pivot/hinge when the small cutters are grossly overloaded.

Reply to
Den

They make both [Fully hardened and progressive] Maybe all hard for piano tuners and maybe they can have more delicate tip for people who only want to cut piano wire occasionally on the progressive ones

Reply to
F Murtz

I cut some plated brass 8BA screws once. Went alright till I got to about the 10th one which was steel. Looked the same.

;-(

Kevin Martin

--
To Reply, delete what is "Not Required" in abbreviated form
Reply to

Not Bahco by any chance ?

Graham

Reply to