xilinx 70% tracking rule

Hi there,

Sorry for another Xilinx-specific question :)

Peter Alfke mentioned this 70% tracking rule for timing parameters, which basically says that if a parameter is at its max value, then all other parameters are between 70% and 100% of their guaranteed maximums. For Xilinx CPLDs, at least.

This makes a lot of sense from a physical standpoint, and I've seen it mentioned in other posts too.

I have only one question, if somebody can help. How is this 70% figure calculated, or estimated? Is it based on lab results only, or was it first derived analytically in some way or another and then verified experimentally? (I believe the latter). I'm curious about the physics involved.

Thanks, Guillermo Rodriguez

Reply to
guille

It will be experimental / empirical. It derives from all gates being on the same wafer (thus largely process track), and at the same Vcc, and similar Temperatures. Normal process tracking these days is very good, and a portion of variance will be physical location dependant, but it's easier to umbrella that under process or min/max timing.

-jg

Reply to
jim granville

I don't know whether 70% is the correct number or not, as it depends on many things and on how sophisticated the timing model was for the "maximum" numbers in the first place. But here are a few other phenomena to add to the laundry list:

- Differences between rising and falling delay (is the max # worst case of two?)

- Localized IR drop in power network causes differences in Vdd seen by transistors in different areas of chip

- Temperature gradients due to differing power densities

- Unmodeled differences in physical structure between similar resources. For example, in a crude timing model all wires of length 4 could be given same delay, but in reality there are differences in what metal they are adjacent to, they could have slightly different lengths, etc. Or trace lengths for two IOs could be slightly different. Of course, whether this need be included in the 70% depends on whether timing model accounts for this stuff or not.

- Cross-coupling, which can speed up (or slow down) a signal.

Also, some aspects of process track very well across a die (e.g. metal, dielectric thickness), while others do not -- for example, tranistor threshold voltage can vary significantly from one transistor to the next due to the stoicastic nature of implants/dopants, though the average Vt value will be similar across the die. Since timing paths include multiple transistors, you tend to get an averaging effect, but still, it is another thing to worry about.

But this is why FPGA companies have timing modeling and characterization groups, and part of why FPGAs are slowly taking over the world (or so I hope :-) -- imagine having to worry about all this stuff when doing your ASIC?

Regards,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

Reply to
Paul Leventis (at home)

[...]

Interesting! Thanks for your input.

This 70% figure was for Xilinx CPLDs. What would be a good estimation for Altera devices?

Does Altera document tracking properties for their devices? (either 'officially' in datasheets, or in application notes). Just curious.

I can imagine :)

Guillermo Rodriguez

Reply to
guille

Yes, imagine working with a part that comes with a data sheet with 100% clearly defined timing for each cell ! Just open the data sheet and get 100% clear information.

(Routing delays are undefined until Synthesis and P&R for both.)

This BS marketing from FPGA companies is 80% nonsenseand

5% Truth. The remaining 15% are pure lies.

Regards, rudi ======================================================== ASICS.ws ::: Solutions for your ASIC/FPGA needs ::: ..............::: FPGAs * Full Custom ICs * IP Cores ::: FREE IP Cores ->

Rudolf Usselmann

Strong words, Rudi ! But unless you can substantiate your claims, we will ignore them as your kind of BS. I am an engineer, and I do not make marketing claims, and neither do I publish 80% nonsense and 15% lies. For some reason the world is rapidly converting to FPGA. Last year there were less than 1500 new ASIC designs and probably 100 000 new designs using FPGAs. Many of us in this ng are aware of the ASIC advantages, but they come with a hefty price tag, long manufacturing time, risk and inflexibility. That's why most of us prefer FPGAs. It is also reflected in the name of this ng.

So, Rudi, if you want to post here, say someth>

Reply to
Peter Alfke

I am not looking to get into this argument, but certainly there are lies that marketing tells. I caught Linear Tech in an outright lie in an ad that claimed a switcher could be built in a certain amount of board space. I called and asked for info on that design and was told that there *was no design*. It was a number that no one could even explain how they came up with.

Closer to home is the ever present lie in the Xilinx data sheets about logic cell count. The last time I checked, counting involved actually counting things. Xilinx seems to think that counting logic cells involves counting and then multiplying by 1.125.

This may be a small case, but so much of what semi companies put out in ads and in literature is clearly hyped. You may not like it as an engineer, but it is the truth.

Reply to
Ralph Malph

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Wow, a real flame war at comp.arch.fpga.

Rudi: I guess from your asic design experience you can guess, why the timing for routing is not well defined before the routing is done.

But mostly I am posting as a response to Peter: Success of a product does not actually contradict overly optimistic marketing claims. At least short time success should be able to be improved by marketing lies, don't you think?

You should not be offended personally. You now that the information from you and austin is always better and more detailed and often very different from what's in datsheets let alone the press releases. So if a lot of people dislike the press releases, this does not mean, they do not respect you. And many of them use Xilinx, so they do not think to bad of the product either.

But there is reason not to like Xilinx marketing.

Remember the press release that claimed prices that are valid NOW but not before Q4/2004? I do not use "now" that way. Or Insight who send me spam that told me I could get XC3S200 in volume now but at the phone told me I could not even get samples? The problem for us engineers is, that our customers read the press releases. And we always look like idiots when we have to explain them, that we can not do that what Xilinx suggests. Or not yet. Or only at 20x the price. Or only if they buy a million parts.

Regards,

Kolja

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Why would an engineer be concerned about such estimates when he can run a synthesis on his design and get the *exact utilization* ?

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Because some engineers have to consider costs and need to know how large a part is before it is designed into a board. Not all FPGAs are used like ASICs. Often they are used like FPGAs where designs are added to the board well after it is in the field. So the only analysis that can be done at the time of part selection is paper design based on the

*published* information. If no one ever needed the info in the data sheets, why would they publish them?
Reply to
Ralph Malph

Which part in my post was unclear ???

Let me break it down for you:

Paul Leventis wrote:

Only seldome have I been able to repeat a synthesis run with FPGAs and get exactly the same results every time (if I don't make changes). Running FPGA synthesis is like throwing the dies in Las Vegas. Funny enough, I can run Synopsys Design Compiler

100 times in a raw and always get the same result.

Besides what is he trying to say ? ASIC vendors don't do timing models and don't do characterization ? Hmm, anybody from TSMC, or UMC, or any other ASIC vendor who would like to comment ?

FPGA guys always look at a FPGA and tell everybody how cheap they are. They never include the cost for a PROM, and if they do they always use the cheapest ROM, and then tell you how you can easily change the configuration. However they never tell you in advance that the ISP ROM cost just as much as a (small) FPGA. Hmm, that deception in my eyes.

I didn't anywhere in my post refer to you or mantion your name.

I was replying to the writings of Paul Leventis. It is not my intent to search the archives and evaluate what you have written or not, and judge you. I know you and Paul, and many other from both companies provide excellent tech support. So why, oh why, do some guys throw in the occasional marketing crap ???

Last couple of years where plagued by bad economy. We saw very few ASIC designs. A large factor why FPGA sales have been growing is because they are getting big and fast enough to be used in ASIC modeling and prototyping. I can't envision a $1000 US FPGA going in to many designs. That are very special situations - not the norm. In my opinion, FPGA are not taking market share away from ASICS. Thats where Structured ASICS and Gate Arrays come in.

The reason IMHO, is that, FPGAS are getting big and fast and open up new areas and possibilities that where before impossible to achieve.

Well, I hope this was meaningfully and substantial. And don't worry, marketing crap will not hurt my reputation, but yours ... you are telling lies not me ...

--

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka

Hi Rudolf,

Let's examine my conclusion again:

hope

ASIC?

The last bit was a somewhat vague dig at ASICs -- to some degree, I'm smokin' a bit of the FPGA marketing dope. But I still believe there is truth to this statement. I am not claiming that ASICs lack timing models, nor that there aren't tools to analyse the myriad of phenomena that one must worry about when eeking the most performance out of them. I do suppose a user has the choice of sticking with a conservative view of timing, leaving some performance on the table for guard-band (while still exceeding the performance of an FPGA), and making their life easier in this department. However, I think you would be hard-pressed to argue that it is as easy or easier to design to an ASIC as it is to design to an FPGA...

I'm not sure how synthesis repeatibility is related to my discussion of timing-related phenomena. Regardless, you should get the same answer out of our CAD tools every time you run them with the same input on the same machine. If you don't, this is a bug and should be reported to Altera -- I know Vaughn's team just loves hunting down non-determinism issues. Sucks to be the engineer who draws the short-straw on those bugs...

He was not trying to say that. Altera and other FPGA vendors would be screwed if that were the case. Who do you think we're relying on the for the underlying models we use for telling you your timing?

In the design of Cyclone (our low-cost family), we kept in mind overall system cost, including the required PROM. This is why we added the active-serial programming mode, a matching family of low-cost serial programming devices, and the bitstream compression feature. If you look at our web page on our active serial devices

html) you will see a marketing chart, complete with vague x-axis, examining total cost of device + programming solution. A thorough treatise of the subject it is not, but we're not trying to deceive anyone.

Ah, come now -- Peter's had a few posts with less than 100% truth at times too ;-)

My original posting contained 1425 characters, of which 114 were detected to the marketing crap in the last paragraph. So while not quite 80% non-sense and 15% lies, that's about 8% questionable/non-technical content, more than I typically strive for.

It's hard to resist. This is a public forum, and as much as we'd like to be providing 100% engineering data at all times, we also must try to sell our products. I never post anything I believe is misleading, but I have (and will continue to) actively direct people to our products and marketing collateral whenever I feel it is relevant.

Trust me, $1000 US FPGAs go into many designs. And we love it. The truth is that as we push into smaller and smaller process technologies, the investment in NRE costs such as masks, as well as development tools and the engineering effort required to bring a chip out are increasing rapidly. There are fewer and fewer sockets that have large enough revenues to generate a high enough ROI on a (pure-play) ASIC development. Now, comparing FPGAs at 90 nm against ASICs at 90 nm is not fair, since you can get similar performance and cost at older technology nodes, but the trend is still there.

Let's look at that $1000 FPGA again. Let's say it costs you $6 M to design, test, and manufacture your first ASIC and $0 per unit thereafter, while the FPGA costs $1M to develop & test, and $1000 per unit. You'd need to have guarenteed volumes of more than 5000 units before this effort pays itself off, and that's excluding the opportunity cost of tying up those resources for the time it takes to develop the product. Including a desired ROI, it's probably 10x higher. As the dev costs get higher, and FPGAs grow in density but remain at the same price, the break-even point pushes further and further out.

Examples of boxes with $1000 FPGAs in them: Think any big box that costs ~$100K -- routers, storage servers, telecom boxes, etc. There are companies that have products that they are happy to sell 100 of each year. In these markets, FPGAs are a perfect fit.

I agree that structured ASICs will also work to take market share from ASICs, as they provide an intermediate solution in the cost-per-unit & fixed cost space. That's why we have our HardCopy product line. This allows our customers to go to production with an FPGA, with the insurance that they can move to a structured ASIC in the future. Plus converting over is easy -- all the hard IP blocks are identical (PLLs, RAMs, etc.) reducing the chances of problems in conversion. It's a hard-to-copy business strategy, and we hope it will continue to a be a very succesful one.

And with the availability of low-cost, high-performance FPGAs such as Cyclone, markets with volumes of 100,000+ units are now opening up to us. Will we truely take a lot of market share from ASICs here? I dunno -- we'll know the answer in five years after we've seen another full ASIC up-and-down cyclone.

Regards,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

Reply to
Paul Leventis (at home)