Albert Einstein

If for no other reason than because you proposed your favorite interpretation not as an unproveable picture competing (not very successfully) for the attention of the scientific community today, but as The Way Things Really Are. Your description gave no hint that an additional set of fields are needed, which is not the usual formulation of QM.

It's classical particles following classical trajectories determined by a new kind of classical field.

Well, I'd only read your web page at the time.

You have that backwards. QED was derived from Maxwell's equations. Sure, nowadays they impose U(1) symmetry on the Lagrangian and show that QED falls out. But that's a more recent development. QED was derived by taking Maxwell as the foundation and quantizing the fields. There's various ways to do that, but it's usually done through the Lagrangian.

The Maxwell Lagrangian is

L = -1/4 F_ab F^ab - J^a A_a

in both the classical and quantum theories. The action is minimized in both the classical and quantum theories, leading to Euler-Lagrange equations that are the same in both the classical and quantum theories. The stress tensor is defined the same way, the momentum and angular momentum are derived from the stress tensor in the same way for the classical and quantum theories.

Here's a link to a QFT problem set. The only reason it's quantum instead of classical is because this stuff usually isn't covered in classical courses on E&M.

Maxwell's equations exist in a mechanical context-- the transformation rules and the description of state are imposed externally. In the 19th century they were used in a Galilean paradigm. When we went Einsteinian that didn't change Maxwell's equations any more than relativity changes F=dp/dt. When we go quantum we say A_a no longer represent the field, they represent operators that act on the kets. But the equations of motion still look like Maxwell's equations.

There aren't just "some" similarities, and it's no coincidence that those similarities exist. Nearly the entire theoretical machinery of quantum field theory is lifted straight from classical field theory. The fields become operators, the Poisson brackets are multiplied by i*hbar and called commutators, and off we go.

You'd never know that after taking a course in quantum field theory. Very little of that was probably covered in the classical course, and it's introduced in the quantum course on an as-needed basis. So the students are delving deeper into field theory than they had before, possibly working in the second quantized formulation in a significant way for the first time in their lives, introduced to Green's function methods in the guise of photon propagators for the first time except maybe for a short section on scattering in their introductory QM class, solving particle-particle interactions in the quantum context that are more complicated than they had worked with in their classical class... And you wind up with students that can follow some recipies and think they learned stuff that only applies to QM.

--
"I fart for joy and I laugh more than if I had cast my old age, as a
serpent does its skin." -- Aristophanes, Peace, 421 BC

Actually its not that bad. Popular misconception. For example, the probability of having a good child in a normal relationship is around

99%, for one in an incestuous relationship, its 98%. So a 1% difference. However, such a small consistent difference over 1000's of generations will result in the meme/genes of incestuous relationships being weeded out.

Yeah, so what's wrong with incest, its a game all the family can play...

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Nope. I have made many posts on the the non absolute nature of models.

What additional set of fields did you have in mind?

Nope. Nine. No. No. No.

As I said, you don't understand what the ensemble interpretation actually is at all. I know where your coming from, there is classical ensemble approach used in the past, but the ensemble described by Ballentine, Einstein, has *absolutely* *nothing* to do with that version. It certainly does *not* propose any trajectories for particles in the slightest. You must be confusing the ensemble with some other approach, like Bohmian mechanics.

The ensemble approach simple says, essentially, that the state vector does not apply to an individual system. That's it. Trajectories are just as undefined in the ensemble approach as they are in the standard approach.

Maxwell's equations were used as a guide. QED contains more information then Maxwell's equations. Sure, QED was *motivated* by Maxwell's Equations as a tool, just as many equations are motivated by incorrect ideas. What you are claiming is essentially, that the shrodinger equation was derived from the Borh model of the hydrogen atom, which of course, fails on other atoms.

Simple irrelevent.

Look mate, do Maxwell's Equations, as is, explain the photo electric effect and black body radiation, or not?

Nothing you say changes these facts.

Yes. I am quite familiar with Poisson brackets and their commutators etc. So whats your point? We use the mathematical tools that already exist. The fact that symbolically they look similar, has no baring on whether there is any real connection. For me, its more a matter of luck.

It was covered in my "advanced" mechanics course, e.g. H. Goldstein.

Sure.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward wrote (in ) about 'Albert Einstein', on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:

John, Sid, Gracie, Killing....

-- Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. The good news is that nothing is compulsory. The bad news is that everything is prohibited.

Also see

John Woodgate

On the contrary, it's much easier for being impossible :-).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

In article , Jim Thompson wrote: [...]

Its extra important for us humans since we went through that choke point a few 100K years ago so we don't have all that wide of a gene pool.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Logic applied to a silly quip: I think they are the largest minority in the world so fairly quickly everyone would be some part Chinese.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Dunno, I haven't lived there for 30+ years. I'm told he was quite the crook though.

You don't know what a "people's republic" is! I'll see your Ryan and raise you a Leahy, Jeffords, Sanders, *and* a Dean!

That's just so Clintoonian of him!

--
  Keith
Reply to

In article , Spehro Pefhany wrote: [...]

They could kill of a chunk of the male population by having a war. Large numbers of unmarried males are not good for stability.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

these

understand

falsely

life.

police,

infected

Do try to make up your feeble excuse for a mind. How was Ryan was making the streets less safe when he "pardoned" everybody on Death Row by commuting their sentences to life imprisonment, if life imprisonment is a worse fate than execution?

This isn't your familiar right-wing prejudice parade - some of us have enough functional brain cells left to remember elements of your argument that you have deleted with the (usual) unmarked snip.

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

[...]

"An opposite position is assumed by the causal or ensemble interpretation [...] present work I am referring mainly to Bohm's position. According to Bohm, the wave-function supplies an additional potential - the quantum-potential, as he called it. This potential, when inserted into the Hamilton-Jacobi-equation of classical physics, leads to well determined trajectories of the individual particles."

[...]

So it would seem.

But didn't you just say that the uncertainty principle reflects ignorance rather than indeterminacy? That an electron really doesn't "sample" an extended region of a crystal?

[...]

In a typical textbook derivation we start out by deriving the Dirac equation for a free particle, and add the electromagnetic interaction by converting the partial derivative to a gauge covariant derivative. But where did that gauge covariant derivative come from? It's the canonical momentum from the Mawell Lagrangian. Not a quantum Maxwell Lagrangian, there's only one. Not something similar to a Maxwell Lagrangian, not a corrected version. It's straight out of classical field theory with momentum in the position representation. But it does successfully hide the role of Maxwell's equations from the student.

The approach not usually taken is that shown e.g. in Peskin & Schroeder for the Klein-Gordon equation. They find the conjugate momentum density, the wave equation, the conserved current, etc. It's really not classical or quantum theory, it's just field theory, but it's the same wave equation treated classically in Goldstein. By page 20 they Fourier transform the field. Still not quantum.

They have an aside on the harmonic oscillator where the field and momentum are put in terms of creation and annihilation operators. Still not quantum. It's an interesting problem to solve the classical harmonic oscillator by that approach. They write the SHO Hamiltonian as w(a^dag a

  • 1/2). That is sort of quantum; the 1/2 doesn't appear in the classical problem because the classical a and a^dag commute.

Then they define the SHO state |n> = (a^dag)^n |0>. And define the Klein-Gordon fields and momentum densities as operators with their own a_p and a_p^dag.

NOW it is truly quantum. The equation of motion still looks exactly the same, it's quantum because they defined |n> and the action of the field operators on it.

I haven't seen a similar approach taken with the electromagnetic field, but every approach takes a Lagrangian density or a canonical momentum straight from the classical theory. From there, it is quantized by working on the fields, not on the interaction. Maxwell's equations weren't a motivation or a guide, they were a postulate.

By the way, from Newtonian mechanics,

E = p^2/2m + V(x)

Let E->i*hbar*d/dt, p->-i*hbar*d/dx, right-multiply both sides by a psi(x), there's the undergrad Schroedinger's equation, essentially a restatement of Newton's second law in a mechanics where the state is in a Hilbert space rather than a phase space. The Klein-Gordon equation comes the same way, from E^2 = p^2 + m^2.

Everybody thinks that as soon as you go quantum, everything classical goes out the window. But it's still there.

[...]

No, not as written, with the E and B taken as classical fields.

We're probably arguing some semantic point here. But I don't do "as written". E.g. when I say "Maxwell's equations" I'm perfectly happy to go with equations written in the four-vector formalism. As far as I'm concerned, the Maxwell Lagrangian is as good as Maxwell's equations because you get them when you minimize the action. Same with the Maxwell Hamiltonian; find the Poisson bracket or the commutator of the field with the Hamiltonian. All of that and more are just different representations of the same physical content. When I talk about Maxwell's equations I don't mean a specific set of equations, but the interaction described by those equations.

And, well, darnit, the canonical momentum comes straight from the Maxwell Lagrangian, which comes from Maxwell's equations. So when you say Maxwell's equations are wrong, but then QED is derived with that canonical momentum, I say no. QED is just using Maxwell's equations in a different way. It's the field that is quantized, not the interaction.

We did a lot with action-angle variables. I still don't know why. I've come to feel that the graduate classical courses should essentially be prep for QFT, but that's not really how it was approached at my school.

--
"Outside the camp you shall have a place set aside to be used as a
latrine.  You shall keep a trowel in your equipment and with it, when you

Yes, and as I have now explained, this "ensemble" has *absolutely* nothing to do with the Einstein/Ballentine "ensemble".

According to

Yes, and is also described in Ballentines book as an alternative to the "quantum ensemble"

Yep. A common mistake.

No. HUP represents an inability to predict a new position and momentum. Whether its due to some sort of ignorance or inherent indeterminacy is not known, in my view.

I don't know what an electron does. All we have is the math. The math gives the correct result. That's it.

Yes. But why? We simply use the math that already exists. The failure of a GUT may well be that we simply need new math. That is, everything cant be explained with the existing tools.

How does this change anything? The photon does not exist in Maxwell's equations so it can't describe them. Radiation from an atom is by photons, not continuous waves, as Maxwell's equations *demand*.

I think we will just have to disagree. For me, Maxwell's equations are continuous differential equations describing "waves". They simply don't explain how very low fields can eject an electron. The numbers are all wrong.

I agree. I admit that without the Goldstein background I would have had a poor overall idea of just how QM fits in with CM.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Thanks, that helps! I don't often have the courage to watch the Chicago news or read the papers, I just here talk.

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!

http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

No it was governor George Ryan (R). Attorney General, Jim Ryan (R), never got to be governor. Not because he overlooked his boss's bribery income, but because while States Attorney he falsified evidence in so many capital cases cases that governor George had to put a moratorium on executions. The convictions were all overturned using DNA technology that wasn't available when the guys were convicted to prove that the States Attorney's office fabricated evidence.

Don't confuse Jim (R) or George (R) with Jack (R), who's senate campaign went down in flames because it came out in his divorce that he liked to watch his wife have sex with other men in swinger clubs in Paris, New Orleans, and New York. Jack (R) was replaced by Alan Keys (R) from Maryland.

I know it's hard to keep all the corrupt Republicans named Ryan straight in Illinois, but here's an easy way to remember:

Jack - like Jack Kennedy, sex scandal. Jim - like Jim Beam, think of Judge Roy Bean, false convictions. George - like George Bush - corruption.

Reply to
Emanual Kann

Your impression is only partially correct. George Ryan was forced to put a moratorium on executions because there were so many overturned convictions. What killed his political carrier was generic Republican political machine graft. Some people get it confused because it was Jim Ryan's illegal acts as states attorney that led to the moratorium.

Attorney General Jim Ryan (R) destroyed his carrier when he was States Attorney in DuPage County. He presided over the wrongful conviction of two men in the rape-murder of a young girl, which lead to the indictment of four DuPage County sheriff's deputies and three former prosecutors, and malicious prosecution settlements for $3.5 million. Ryan had been told that another man had confessed to the murder, and prosecuted anyway.

There were also a number of other capital convictions overturned by DNA evidence. The moratorium on death was one of the bright spots in George Ryan's 30 year carrier littered with acts of official corruption and graft. Jack Ryan's carrier was killed by a sex scandal (he liked to watch his wife have sex with strangers). Jack was replaced on the senate ballot with Marylander Alan Keys.

Reply to
Emanual Kann

making

imprisonment is a

inmates

was

was

Jim

Ryan

over

girl,

for

the

have

argument

Reply to
bill.sloman

Only the falsely convicted were pardoned. The remaining death row inmates had their sentences commuted because so much prosecutorial misconduct was discovered in the cases that were overturned. In 2000 George Ryan was forced to act because 13 death row inmates were found to be wrongly convicted. 12 were killed before they could be exonerated.

Two of the 13 found to be wrongly convicted, two were railroaded by Jim Ryan when he was States Attorney for DuPage County.

As attorney general, it was Jim Ryan's job to look into the George Ryan scandal. Instead, he did nothing. As state's attorney, he presided over the wrongful conviction of two men in the rape-murder of a young girl, which lead to the indictment of four DuPage County sheriff's deputies and three former prosecutors, and malicious prosecution settlements for $3.5 million. Ryan had been told that another man had confessed to the murder.

Bill, you can't even keep your Ryans straight.

Reply to
Emanual Kann

Since the version of the story that I had - probably from the pages of the Dutch Volkskrant, but possibly from the U.K. Guardian Weekly - concentrated entirely on the governor, I wasn't even aware that there were two Ryans.

It say something about Keith's connection with reality that I could get closer to the truth than he did when he presumably had the benefit of exposure to U.S. reports of these events ...

And thanks for the URL - it is always nice to see a post that adduces real evidence.

--------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Governor George Ryan (R), not Attorney General Jim Ryan (R).

That's just about how long George was taking graft for the Republican political machine.

There are actually three Republicans Ryan: George - graft Jim - prosecutorial misconduct Jack - sex

George, not Jim

Unfortunately, we may have more to worry about from the police than the bad guys.

George Ryan didn't release anyone who was not already released through the normal appeals process. He merely halted executions because the state has such a bad record of wrongful convictions in capital cases ( 13 exonerated, 12 executed since 1977). It is really a high point of his carrier. The state senate passed a moratorium which failed in the Republican controlled house. George was using his power as Governor to do what the Republicans in the house should have done. He was already a lame duck because 30 years of generic Republican political machine graft became public. His heir apparent, was Attorney General Jim Ryan.

Illinois' 13 exonerated Death Row inmates include men who served up to 18 years under a death sentence or came within days of execution. DNA tests cleared some of the inmates, while other cases collapsed after being reversed for new trials. Two were exonerated due to a malicious prosecution by Jim Ryan (R) when he was the DuPage County states attorney. That illegal prosecution cost the state $3.5 million in damages and resulted in the indictment of four sheriff's deputies and three assistant states attorneys. It also ended Jim Ryan's political carrier.

No that was carpet bagger Alan Keys, a Marylander who replaced Jack Ryan on the senate ballot. Jack Ryan's political hopes went up in flames when his wife disclosed in divorce proceedings that he forced her have sex with strangers while he watched. He said it was consensual and dropped out of the election.

Reply to
Emanual Kann

In January 2002, after investigating all the cases on death row, and just before leaving office, he cleared out Illinois' death row, pardoning four condemned prisoners and commuting the death sentences of 167 others to life in prison.

Reply to
Emanual Kann