power adapter connectors?

This might become less of an issue in the future as more things switch
to standardizing on USB connections, but there's going to be a long time
before that's everywhere. So, for the problem of Device A has a small
barrel plug (female) and the power adapter for Device A going missing
(or the cord breaking), getting a power adapter for Device B with the
same voltage / amperage specs but a different connector working with
Device A: what good options are there?

I've got an audio device (Device A) that needs a very simple 5v 0.5A DC,
and I've got several wall warts that can provide 5v DC 0.5 or more A.
But none of them have a matching co-axial barrel connector.

In the past I've solved this by buying pairs of connectors and replacing
both sides at once. This has worked, but the cord strain-relief I build
is not as good as factory so the cords fail faster. In the present case,
the cosmetics would be pretty bad.

Maybe somebody sells inexpensive assortments of barrel connector to USB
cords? Other ideas?

Elijah
------
used up his stash of old Radio Shack connector pairs

Re: power adapter connectors?

I back fill the connectors with hot melt glue.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Sometimes thrift stores are well-stocked with adapters, and prices aren't too
high to just... buy an assortment on speculation.

As for strain relief, you can get fusion tape (rubbery stretch-and-wrap stuff that
becomes a solid blob) wrapped around the hand-soldered connection, and an  overall
layer of heatshrink tubing, which replicates most of the mechanical advantages of
molded connectors, and is just AMAZINGLY ugly.   And, it works.

Re: power adapter connectors?

Another option I've used in the past. The two thrift stores with good
electric part selections that I used to go to have both closed. "Thrift
Town" is where I used to buy my computer monitors, but when I needed
another one last month, I was forced to buy new. The largest of the
local Good Wills, the one that had an actual computer department, has
also closed. The smaller ones haven't had the selection.

I'm not familiar with "fusion tape", but maybe I should be. For this
particular device, however, my wife is unlikely to be pleased with
"AMAZINGLY ugly." That's also why I'm reluctant to add a connector to
this.

Elijah
------
does still has a decent furniture thrift store near by

Re: power adapter connectors?
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 22:14:30 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded

I've used a wide variety of concoctions to repair strain reliefs and
cords.

My favorite was "Awesome Goo" which was both expensive and difficult
to find.  Sets instantly with a heat gun or in hot water.
<https://www.amazon.com/Awesome-Goo-CECOMINOD023727/dp/B003EB51CY>

More (or less):

1.  Mixture of cyanoacrylate glue and baking soda.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=super+glue+baking+soda
good for fixing crumbling rubber boots.

2.  RTV, silicone caulk or putty, structural adhesive, etc.  Basically
anything that is flexible, fills gaps, and will harden.  These work
nicely but are not very strong.  They bend and flex nicely, but under
tension, will tear easily.  I just used some black window caulk to
repair an extension cord that had been chewed by a rat.

3.  Bondo.  This is normally used for filling dents on cars.  The
catch is that it's too hard and somewhat brittle.  It will not provide
a replacement for a strain relief, but does quite well for filling
cracks that don't need to bend.

4.  Shoe Goo.
<http://eclecticproducts.com/products/shoe-goo.html
This is intended for fixing show soles.  When set, the rubber is not
quite as flexible as I would like, but at least it bends.

5. "Liquid electrical tape" under a variety labels:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=liquid+tape&tbm=isch
It works but has problems.  It doesn't stick to rubber very well or
very long.  Once exposed to air, it hardens very quickly in the can.
If you screw the can lid on tight, you can't get it off.  Basically,
it's good for one job, and then throw away the can.

6. Plasti-Drip:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=insulating+dip+for+tools&tbm=isch
This stuff works about the same as the liquid electrical tape, except
that it dries with a smooth surface.  However, it's useless for gap
and crack filling because it doesn't seem to stick to anything.  If
you can wrap the cable with a thick donut shape blob of Plasti-Drip,
it will stay in place.  Otherwise, it will eventually stretch, break,
and fall off.

Re: power adapter connectors?

My theory is that if my better half still puts up with me, she can't
really be that picky. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: power adapter connectors?

Yeah, those usually end up in the "My eyes!  The goggles do
_nothing_!" category of ugliness... and, yeah, they're sturdy enough
that the fusion, the strain relief, the protected solder joint, and
the whole wiring job will usually outlive the one who made it.

Re: power adapter connectors?

Also known as "Self Amalgamating Tape".

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk

Re: power adapter connectors?

Everyone wants to talk about strain relief, no one has a simple fix for
the connector-doesn't-fit problem.

Elijah
------
not enthusiastic about identifying the exact barrel connector

Re: power adapter connectors?

I thought it was a solved-problem decades ago?

<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722J415P>

Re: power adapter connectors?

That, like my decades old universal power supply with two-prong plug-in
tips, does not appear to be a good match for (random female) to (random
male) matches. That's a good fit IF you already have a power adapter
that has the size those are built for or if you are buying an adapter at
the same time as the plug set.

My searches didn't find a universal cord set with male and female ends.
Maybe I didn't use the right term?

Elijah
------
has far more two prong plugs than cords to use them with

Site Timeline