power adapter connectors?

This might become less of an issue in the future as more things switch to standardizing on USB connections, but there's going to be a long time before that's everywhere. So, for the problem of Device A has a small barrel plug (female) and the power adapter for Device A going missing (or the cord breaking), getting a power adapter for Device B with the same voltage / amperage specs but a different connector working with Device A: what good options are there?

I've got an audio device (Device A) that needs a very simple 5v 0.5A DC, and I've got several wall warts that can provide 5v DC 0.5 or more A. But none of them have a matching co-axial barrel connector.

In the past I've solved this by buying pairs of connectors and replacing both sides at once. This has worked, but the cord strain-relief I build is not as good as factory so the cords fail faster. In the present case, the cosmetics would be pretty bad.

Maybe somebody sells inexpensive assortments of barrel connector to USB cords? Other ideas?

Elijah

------ used up his stash of old Radio Shack connector pairs

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

I back fill the connectors with hot melt glue.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Sometimes thrift stores are well-stocked with adapters, and prices aren't too high to just... buy an assortment on speculation.

As for strain relief, you can get fusion tape (rubbery stretch-and-wrap stuff that becomes a solid blob) wrapped around the hand-soldered connection, and an overall layer of heatshrink tubing, which replicates most of the mechanical advantages of molded connectors, and is just AMAZINGLY ugly. And, it works.

Reply to
whit3rd

Another option I've used in the past. The two thrift stores with good electric part selections that I used to go to have both closed. "Thrift Town" is where I used to buy my computer monitors, but when I needed another one last month, I was forced to buy new. The largest of the local Good Wills, the one that had an actual computer department, has also closed. The smaller ones haven't had the selection.

I'm not familiar with "fusion tape", but maybe I should be. For this particular device, however, my wife is unlikely to be pleased with "AMAZINGLY ugly." That's also why I'm reluctant to add a connector to this.

Elijah

------ does still has a decent furniture thrift store near by

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Yeah, those usually end up in the "My eyes! The goggles do _nothing_!" category of ugliness... and, yeah, they're sturdy enough that the fusion, the strain relief, the protected solder joint, and the whole wiring job will usually outlive the one who made it.

Reply to
Dave Platt

I've used a wide variety of concoctions to repair strain reliefs and cords.

My favorite was "Awesome Goo" which was both expensive and difficult to find. Sets instantly with a heat gun or in hot water.

More (or less):

  1. Mixture of cyanoacrylate glue and baking soda. good for fixing crumbling rubber boots.

  1. RTV, silicone caulk or putty, structural adhesive, etc. Basically anything that is flexible, fills gaps, and will harden. These work nicely but are not very strong. They bend and flex nicely, but under tension, will tear easily. I just used some black window caulk to repair an extension cord that had been chewed by a rat.

  2. Bondo. This is normally used for filling dents on cars. The catch is that it's too hard and somewhat brittle. It will not provide a replacement for a strain relief, but does quite well for filling cracks that don't need to bend.

  1. Shoe Goo. This is intended for fixing show soles. When set, the rubber is not quite as flexible as I would like, but at least it bends.

  2. "Liquid electrical tape" under a variety labels: It works but has problems. It doesn't stick to rubber very well or very long. Once exposed to air, it hardens very quickly in the can. If you screw the can lid on tight, you can't get it off. Basically, it's good for one job, and then throw away the can.

  1. Plasti-Drip: This stuff works about the same as the liquid electrical tape, except that it dries with a smooth surface. However, it's useless for gap and crack filling because it doesn't seem to stick to anything. If you can wrap the cable with a thick donut shape blob of Plasti-Drip, it will stay in place. Otherwise, it will eventually stretch, break, and fall off.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Also known as "Self Amalgamating Tape".

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

Everyone wants to talk about strain relief, no one has a simple fix for the connector-doesn't-fit problem.

Elijah

------ not enthusiastic about identifying the exact barrel connector

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

I thought it was a solved-problem decades ago?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That, like my decades old universal power supply with two-prong plug-in tips, does not appear to be a good match for (random female) to (random male) matches. That's a good fit IF you already have a power adapter that has the size those are built for or if you are buying an adapter at the same time as the plug set.

My searches didn't find a universal cord set with male and female ends. Maybe I didn't use the right term?

Elijah

------ has far more two prong plugs than cords to use them with

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

My theory is that if my better half still puts up with me, she can't really be that picky. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs