Agilent 10076B osc probe for sale

Hi, anyone interested? I will take $125 (Paypal). Bought it years ago for some project and used it twice. Its a passive probe for high voltage (100:1). Specs are on interweb. Can upload pic later.

Regards, Scot

Sorry for spam but kids swim lessons are not cheap!

Reply to
scot

The Rigol 100:1 probe is cheap, but I'm frying them scoping a 1KV, 5 MHz pulse.

I bet the parts inside are really hot.

I wonder if the Agilent has better behavior at combined high voltage and high frequency.

One kid costs about as much as ten Porsches. Or 50.

 Click to see the full signature

My fast HV pulse stage has a 50-ohm Zout, so it will accurately back-terminated drive a segment of 50-ohm coax, w/o reflections, etc. This means I can connect it to a 100-watt 20dB RF power attenuator, and look at the output of that, with a final 50-ohm load. Or another attenuator. No fried probes.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

My new pulser drives a capacitive load, a Pockels cell, directly, with no coax... just very short wires. So I need a hi-Z probe.

I built a 200:1 signal pickoff into the pulser, to drive a 50 ohm scope, but we need to test that in production, to make sure it's really 200:1. I guess we'll verify the internal pickoff circuit at much lower pulse frequency, so's to not fry the probe.

The pickoff was hard to get to work. It works pretty well on the rev C board. Our mantra is "get it right the first time" and C is not first.

Tek used to make an enormous HV probe that had to be kept full of liquid Freon.

 Click to see the full signature

The 6015 was 13kV without freon, 20kV with. The 6015A replaces the freon with silicone Derate voltages above ~100kHz

Reply to
Tom Gardner

My approach to that scene is to use a purely capacitive divider, which I opamp buffer, followed by an adjustable CAL trimmer and another opamp. You use a small upper capacitance, so even with shielding it's hard to account for minor strays. So I allow 25% or more CAL adjustment. The CAL operation is easily and accurately done with a low-Z low-voltage source feeding the HV output.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Here's my pickoff.

It's reasonably accurate but I could add a cal pot or trim cap for rev D. In real life, my customers will trim the HV pulse amplitude for optical effect, so the voltage monitor doesn't need to be very accurate.

J1-J2-J3 is a 3-pole Phoenix barrier strip. It had so much dielectric loss that it was getting hot and costing me several watts. The fix is to rip all the metal bits out of the unused J2 section.

The parts to the right are the beginnings of the pickoff.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Or a Jeep Rubicon. And then builds up a savings account :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What 1pF part do you use for C43? Also, how is it 200:1 with C40 = 68pF?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Another useful thing for Rev D would be a DC bias adjustment to control for the Pockels cell's large static birefringence. That way you can go from linear polarization to linear polarization.

I once had a circuit oscillate hard enough that a ferrite bead melted its way through a minigrabber clip. (I don't build manly stuff like your drivers.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

MFR1 VISHAY VJ1111D1R0BXRAJ MFR2 DIGIKEY 720-1436-1-ND

It's an 1111. I never knew there were 1111 caps!

Beats me; that's what works.

It's 200:1 when loaded with a 50 ohm scope. There are capacitive strays, and the source of the mosfet is not zero ohms.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

The pulser is AC coupled into the Pockels. I hate that because we get a negative baseline shift at higher pulse rates, which costs me a bit of peak voltage. My prime customer insists on AC coupling so that there is no long-term DC voltage across the crystal.

It's a femtosecond pulse picker. The sine-squared transfer function of the Pockels hides all sorts of sins since we only care about the flat bottoms and tops of the pulses.

No offense to an acknowledged great circuit designer, but it's a continuous struggle to get the physicists to understand concepts like inductance and grounding. The horrors I have seen!

I recently read a book about Tesla, which inspired me to grab the 1KV output and see if I'd get shocked. I confirmed what Nikoli said, no shock but a burn is possible.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Cornell alone cost as much as a fleet of Rubicons.

She actually bought a Rubicon. Great in snow but otherwise an astonishing piece of junk. Chrysler must purchase pre-stripped fasteners and mate-once connectors.

It was hard to keep it inside one lane on the freeway. It at least kept the driver awake.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Okay, so they must have a polarization compensator in there someplace. It's probably a fibre/grating pulse compressor, so you can do that with the usual three-paddle thing in SMF based on bend birefringence, e.g. .

You can make any polarization state from any other using two quarter-wave plates, but they have to be accurate. With the three-paddle model, you take one turn round the outside ring and two round the middle one, making two quarter- and one half-wave retarder. That doesn't have to be as accurate, and besides, once you have the polarization linear you can rotate it using the middle paddle. That's much harder with a two-paddle controller.

Fun.

Don't talk about my customers like that. ;)

Physicists also think that lowpass filters chop off everything above the

3-dB point.

Of course they can also bring a useful sort of first-principles approach sometimes.

RF burns are super nasty, too. (Next time try it on a water balloon with an ammeter in series to ground.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(who started building circuits well before taking his first physics course)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As if. I don't want water all over my circuit and my bench and my jeans.

 Click to see the full signature

What's more you can get bad RF burns though insulation, or even by just getting your hand close. And the burns can go deep into the dermal layers, ouch! But at least they come pre-sterilized.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

After my dad's Chrysler and having my own later our family never bought another one. I never will. The quality simply wasn't there. My Chrysler rusted out so badly after only six years that it was unable to pass German roadworthiness checks. Plus lots of other issues. The Audi I bought afterwards never had a speck of rust or other issues in 30 years. It probably still runs fine but that was the time where the man I sold it to had to give up driving because of his advanced age and health problems. Also, it is much bigger than the Chrysler, can haul half a ton of equipment, is faster _and_ has better gas mileage.