A Very Dangerous Worm in Windows Metafile Images (WMF)

In article , John Devereux wrote: [..not using a lot of letters..]

No, "intercal" is the one that uses the least letters.

With C you can do this

#define tra #define la #define well #define we #define a #define return

well if (a>1) tra la tra la we give a 3;

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

As I understand it, the jury is still out on the details of this one.

There are issues of the viral nature of GPL. It has been indicated that for kernel space components, you're work inherits the GPL licence merely by using the interfaces to GPL components. That is due (in part at least) to the fact that you must have used the GPL work to even learn what the interfaces are. (I probably can't fairly express their reasoning as I don't agree with it).

Linux has indicated that he believes that pre-existing drivers, when ported to Linux, do not fall under GPL even if they use some Linux interfaces. Alan Cox says Linus is incorrect.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
steve_schefter

Er, Linus.

Steve

Reply to
steve_schefter

Nope. It's whatever you can get people to pay for it. There is no restriction. If I wanted to buy a copy of Slackware from Slackware for $40.00, and try to sell it to some sucker on the street for $1000.00, all I have to do is say that the $960.00 is "distribution and packaging cost".

But I seriously doubt anybody on the street would by a used Slackware CD set for $1000.00 when you can get brand-new, shrink-wrapped CDs for $40.00, or download the whole thing for free.

Nobody's _ever_ "required" to publish anything original for free, unless you got it for free. i.e., what you've downloaded, you do have to make available under the same license. You should read the GNU General Public License:

What it boils down to is, you can download GPL code for free, and modify it at will, _but those modifications to someone else's work is covered by the license_, i.e., your modifications must be clearly delineated and released under the same license.

BUT! If you write your own stuff from scratch, you _are_ allowed to retain the rights on the stuff that you wrote. You can even keep the source propietary, if you can get customers to buy unknown binaries. And not only that, but even if you do release your work on the GPL, the writer continues to own the copyright.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, not for whatever the market will bear, but for a minimized distribution and packaging cost. Moreover MS would be required to publish for free, all the source code for their contributions. I do not see M$ doing anything for free.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

It wasn't a worm. The exploit's purpose was to quietly take over individual computers, in the sense that you'd not know your computer is running a process that allows the new remote owner to send it a command making it do things like send an email, etc. Or worse. Compromised computers are bundled up and sold in batches of 50 to 100, etc., for considerable cash. Ahem, one imagines each computer gets sold multiple times, unless there's honor among thieves!?

Ww wait for the other shoe to drop.

Steve Gibson* thinks "the WMF vulnerability in Windows was neither a bug, nor a feature designed without security in mind, but was actually an intentionally placed backdoor." Read the transcript or listen to the half-hour podcast,

"what Windows did when it encountered this Escape function, followed by the SETABORTPROC metafile record, was it jumped immediately to the next byte of code and began to execute it. That is, it was no longer interpreting my metafile records record by record, which is the way metafiles are supposed to be processed. You don't actually execute the metafile. As we said before last week, and I think the week before, it's sort of a script. It's a script of Windows graphics calls that allow you to specify, you know, draw a rectangle from here to here, draw a line from there to there. And it's in a nice sort of device-independent fashion. So you don't run the code in the metafile. But what Windows did when it encountered this particular nonsensical sequence was to start executing the next byte of code in the metafile." [...]

"So what I found was that, when I deliberately lied about the size of this record and set the size to one and no other value, and I gave this particular byte sequence that makes no sense for a metafile, then Windows created a thread and jumped into my code, began executing my code. Okay, Leo? This was not a mistake. This is not buggy code. This was put into Windows by someone." * Gibson Research Corporation,

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

This is fascinating. So, we could fix them all, by generating a WMF file, where when it goes to execute the file, it finds a HLT instruction. ;-)

I used to be a Hacker, before the sheeple co-opted that term and started applying it to "thieves" and "pirates" and whatever you call those scriptkiddies that write viri and worms and adware and crap. "Hacker" used to be a badge of honor! What''s happened with the world, oh me, oh my!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Joseph2k" schreef in bericht news:BNKxf.1816$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...

distribution

all

BTW, what happened to that very dangerous worm... I've been waiting for that internet melt down, but nothing happened here.

What is the bottom line?

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

No doubt, but there is a limited market. Nobody wants to compromise every computer on the internet. That means that it is not a problem, similar to the concern that somebody might break into your house is not a problem. Okay, you lock your doors, to some extent, but that

*is* sufficient. [snip]

Steve Gibson's text, he has some talent for adding a bit of drama. I'm surprised that it nobody discovered this WMF defect sooner.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

In the original GPL the issue was linking and the use of the same address space.

The other side of the coin was using a standard interface and the component being replaceable, thus forming a bundle.

I think the issue is that the driver and the kernel make a single program.

FWIW making the driver GPL does not mean you lose the copyrights; you can still use the driver elsewhere and sell it, perhaps even in an expanded version.

And what some people are considering: create a very thin driver and make that GPL, which exports a documented interface. And do the clever work in user space.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Microsoft begs to differ.

"Now, there?s been some speculation that you can only trigger this by using an incorrect size in your metafile record and that this trigger was somehow intentional. That speculation is wrong on both counts. The vulnerability can be triggered with correct or incorrect size values. If you are seeing that you can only trigger it with an incorrect value, it's probably because your SetAbortProc record is the last record in the metafile. The way this functionality works is by registering the callback to be called after the next metafile record is played. If the SetAbortProc record is the last record in the metafile, it will be more difficult to trigger the vulnerability."

OK... Now we wait for Steve Gibson's response.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

What a nightmare scenario! "Written for Microsoft Linux". I need a drink.

Reply to
Derek Potter