A Very Dangerous Worm in Windows Metafile Images (WMF)

Try any of the following.....

toolbarbiz[dot]biz toolbarsite[dot]biz toolbartraff[dot]biz toolbarurl[dot]biz buytoolbar[dot]biz buytraff[dot]biz iframebiz[dot]biz iframecash[dot]biz iframesite[dot]biz iframetraff[dot]biz iframeurl[dot]biz

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What about Mozilla, which I use? Same problem with that? Also, under tools/folder options/file types in XP I don't see the .wmf listed?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

"Winfield Hill" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

Yes, thanks. McAfee rates the risk as "low", both for the home users and for the corporate users:

Symantec does not even bother to mention it.

I hereby cancel my earlier advice to install MSDOS 2.0.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

I have IBM's Dos2000.

John

[snip...snip...]

IIRC, Firefox is set by default to use the Windows Media Player for wmf files. Since WMP doesn't understand wmf, it fails without executing the malware. An example of a teeny bug that turns out to be favorable. The full-up Mozilla may work similarly.

However, the attack file is still possibly in the browser cache and, as with the quarantine route mentioned above, if there's a background indexing program that "touches" the file (either in cache or quarantine) then the payload may be executed. I don't run any indexers and set up the auto-download to quarantine just to see whether anything is caught.

To be safe, I'd recommend installing the hotpatch by Ilfak Guilfanov, discussed at

until MS gets their stuff together and releases an official fix.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Problem with that is, that if they removed all of the 'dumbfuck "features"', there wouldn't be any Windoze left! ;-P

Cheers! Rich Maybe we should go back to CP/M! ;-D

Reply to
Rich Grise

The whole thing could probably be nipped in the bud, and most viruses, worms, and such, if people could be taught to not do their day-to-day stuff while logged in as administrator, but to create user accounts that don't have permission to install executable programs, and especially that don't have permission to overwrite system files.

Or, run Linux. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I probably wouldn't care - My RV would probably float. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

An error occurred while loading

Unknown host toolbarbiz.biz

An error occurred while loading

Unknown host toolbarsite.biz

An error occurred while loading

Unknown host toolbartraff.biz

At this point, I gave up.

Thanks anyway! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

A wmf file can be renamed by the exploiter to .jpg, .gif, .bmp, anything. Windows, stupid and voracious as it is, can be fed "file.jpg" but will execute it as a wmf. So just dumping wmf files isn't good enough. Such a file can merely be *in a folder*, not even opened, and do its thing.

Install the patch!

Oh, I looked all over the Microsoft security site and can find no mention of this exploit. How come some freelance blogger can write a fix in hours, and Microsoft stays silent?

John

I posted from a thread on a MS user board, but a half-week into the exploit loose in the wild, MS is staying quiet.

Damn, I thought were were safe if the image file had a jpg or gif extention. Sheesh!

I hate class-action lawsuits, but damn it, we need to hold Microsoft's hand over the flames. The 0.5 to 1B settlements they've been making every few months lately for their illegal unfair competition, etc., have not had any noticable effect on how they compete, nor on their lack of frank communication with their users. They continue as if nothing was happening.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yeah, using OS/2 I can go anywhere and do anything, like Conan the Barbarian. If I weren't a middle aged married guy with kids in college I might get dangerously excited....

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Some folks may still think that Opera is adware/payware. Since September 2005 it has been freeware. The screen-area-using, bandwidth-wasting ad frame that used to be in the non-payware version is gone.

Reply to
JeffM

Or they could simply remove the dumbfuck *features* of Windoze !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Google's text-only ads look better and better every day.

Reply to
JeffM

I usually feed the URL into the HTML Validator Service offered by the folks who maintain the HTML standard:

. It's a pretty good indicator that a page was "validated" with M$IE.
. IE Shines On Broken Code http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:MPS64sO97MsJ:slashdot.org/article.sid=04/10/19/0236213%26threshold=5%26mode=nested+IE-Shines-On-Broken-Code+IE-was-dynamically-rewriting-my-JavaScript-replacing-the-incorrect-delimiters-with-the-correct-ones . OTOH, this page scans just fine, but caused Mozilla to choke:

JeffM

Nautilus whines if you try to open a WMF which has the wrong extension. It only lets you do it by selecting the application, and the warning indicates that the file can do damage.

I wouldn't trust linux to protect you on on this one, particularly if you like to run as root.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

"Physiological experiment on animals is justifiable for real
investigation, but not for mere damnable and detestable curiosity."
 -- Charles Darwin
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Had several other similar alerts, and it clearly needs taking very seriously.

On mine and my wife's PC (both XP Home) I've taken the basic steps recommended in several places:

  1. Run | regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll to disable shimgvw.dll

  1. Install the temporary patch wmffix_hexblog13.exe from

...and rebooted.

One possible downside of the first is that it seems to prevent my viewing photos (JPGs) in Thumbnail mode. I have re-instated it with Run | regsvr32 shimgvw.dll and immediately got thumbnails back. Anyone else able to confirm this please?

There is also a Vulnerability Checker wmf_checker_hexblog.exe available here:

Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:MPS64sO97MsJ:slashdot.org/article.sid=04/10/19/0236213%26threshold=5%26mode=nested+IE-Shines-On-Broken-Code+IE-was-dynamically-rewriting-my-JavaScript-replacing-the-incorrect-delimiters-with-the-correct-ones

Looked ok to me (on firefox 1.5).

It has just occurred to me that google could do the world a service by "marking down" pages that fail these tests!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Quiet?

C'mon, you're safe as ever and you're devaluating the word 'sheesh' if you use it to often and without reason. McAfee says "low risk". Trend Micro Antivirus says "low risk". Ha, Kapersky says "moderate risk". Now make that backup and complain no more. If you want something to worry about, there's always GWB and idiots like JT.

Ah, that's where the shoe hurts. Fair enough ;)