Inverted images in Google Chrome

From time to time (haven't checked consistency yet) images, usually maps, are coming out reversed in the Chrome browser. It's an up-to-date Buster installation. For example, I pulled up a Google map of my area and it looked fine, but switching to satellite view inverted the image on both axes.

Anybody else seen this sort of thing? It's only been seen in the last week or so.

Trying the same experiment on Firefox-ESR doesn't work, there's no satellite view option.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

You're not stealing your neighbour's wifi, are you?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Very amusing idea!

I think the answer is "no", simply because the Pi reports it's connected to my WAP, which is encryted. I was suspecting a bug in either the sites in question or the browser.

There are several other WAPs within range, however. Any great chance of interference? Ping times are usually a few milliseconds, but occasionally get 10x longer.

At the moment both map and satellite views are inverted on both axes. Howeer, the "sign in" button at top right and the Google logo at bottom center are correctly oriented. The information frame on the left of the window looks normal.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

I'd say not.

Odd, I'd suspect a graphics driver issue, odd if it only affects web browser ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is not Google Chrome but the free & open source Chromium, which is/was used as the base of Chrome.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes it's a known issue and RPi are working on it.

Reply to
Richard Jones

How do you figure? It is mentioned here

but no new info there and I can't find it on github where it's supposed to be.

Reply to
A. Dumas

"Andy Burns" wrote

| > At the moment both map and satellite views are inverted on | > both axes. Howeer, the "sign in" button at top right and | > the Google logo at bottom center are correctly oriented. | > The information frame on the left of the window looks | > normal. | | Odd, I'd suspect a graphics driver issue, odd if it only affects web | browser ....

I think that's doubtful. The driver deals with display, but interpreting image data is up to the software. For example, an iPhone photo might display normally or rotated depending on whether the software is taking the EXIF orientation tag into account.

It seems unlikely that Google maps is sending faulty images, but there could be something incompatible happening along the way. Script? G-Maps plugin? Some bug that's flipping it at the bitmap level. Just guessing, but those would be steps between the images leaving the Google server and display in the window.

Reply to
Mayayana

First thing I thought about.

Reply to