Command line in Windows?

What do you folks use as a command line shell in Windows?  I know
several people are working outside of Project Navigator (Xilinx) for
builds and it Windows is just not a very comforting environment for
shell folks.  What 'make' utility do you use?

   Jake

Re: Command line in Windows?
I don't use the Navigator.  I just make little batch files and execute them
from the command line.  I'm told that the Cygwin environment is very nice;
it allows Unix-like shells on Windows, but I haven't tried it.
-Kevin

Re: Command line in Windows?
Yes, I've used Cygwin extensively for years and like it very much.  I
was curious if there was a tolerable 100%-Windows environment.

Re: Command line in Windows?

Consider adding linux with dual boot for windows.
Then you can use any shell you like
and the real make.

    -- Mike Treseler

Re: Command line in Windows?

Also, cygwin is not that bad.

--
Nicholas C. Weaver                                 snipped-for-privacy@cs.berkeley.edu

Re: Command line in Windows?

Yes, with the new tools usable under Linux, I've considered moving
back there.  I use Linux under VMWare for a lot of stuff, I just
haven't moved my FPGA work back.  Maybe that's what I should do...

Re: Command line in Windows?

CygWin is OK, but it's large and slow. For a faster and smaller unix-like
shell you can consider Msys (from www.mingw.org) or actually Services for
Unix from MS (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp ). I myself
use GNU make under plain vanilla CMD.EXE. It works fine for me, though it's
a bit annoying that Xilinx changes the command-line options in every single
release of their toolchain.

Regards,
Andras Tantos

Re: Command line in Windows?
it's
single

What does 'make' do for you that batch files to run the tools doesn't?

Not being aggressive - just curious in case I am missing out on some labour
saving functionality!

Cheers,

Ken

---
Re: Command line in Windows?

Nothing, if you don't use a program that generates makefiles.

Modelsim and emacs-vhdl-mode can generate makefiles
to recompile just
the right files in just the right order after
you edit a few.

But it requires having "make" in the path.

    -- Mike Treseler

Re: Command line in Windows?
unix-like
for
myself
labour

Not much, since xilinx tools need a complete rebuild of the project if a
single source-file changes. (Due to the 'flattening' of the design.) It buys
some degree of platform independence though. When I gave Linux a try it was
much easier to port my design flow to that platform.

Regards,
Andras Tantos

Re: Command line in Windows?
For one, it buys me time -- I don't have to learn cheesy Windows batch
files and can use something that is far more flexible and platform
independent.  Two, it buys integration with the rest of a project.  I
can run a complete build that includes FPGA stuff (several variants,
for example), the C code on an embedded processor, and the C code for
Windows/Linux interfaces that may accompany a project.

Unfortunately, most of the Xilinx project has to be rebuilt for any
change anyhow, so you gain less in terms of incremental build as you
do in C projects.

   Jake

Re: Command line in Windows?

Cygwin. I can't live with a Windows machine without Cygwin installed. It
has everything a Unix shell has, including tab-completion, history, ...

Gernot

Re: Command line in Windows?
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:24:43 +0100, "Gernot Koch (remove digits from

Ditto.

The windows command shell also has these features (at least in
contemporary versions of windows).

Tab-completion is disabled by default.  Use regedit to change the
value of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\CompletionChar
from 0 to 9 to enable it.
It's not the same as tab-completion in bash, but it's better than
nothing.

Regards,
Allan.

Re: Command line in Windows?

For Window$ Explorer sustitution: Windows Commander (can't live without it)

Cheers

Klaus

Site Timeline