a question about resistors in an arc experiment

The term for the day is 'feed forward'.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

ope

I'm going to modify it slightly:

The polarity on the op-amp and the values of the resistors are now more like I would do it.

Reply to
MooseFET

With a heavier load, the switch is on more of the time. While the switch is on, the input of the comparator is higher than when it is off. The result is that the average voltage ends up being higher.

Reply to
MooseFET

Good one, John. I an quite sure that you are versed on arc characteristics.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

gative

Yes, over a band of frequencies they are. At too low of a frequency the winding resistance wins.

Reply to
MooseFET

Looks like the Thompson retard is getting senile on top of his utter stupidity as well. Maybe it is just excessive lard on the brain.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

negative

it? You're a goddamned retard FooseMEAT.

Reply to
Bungalow Bill

I don't know, Phil... her brain box looks a lot bigger than your does, and she doesn't need Lithium infusions to keep a modicum of civility in public.

Got any of her "troll" posts?

Reply to
FatBytestard

Those are "yet to be programmed in *features*".

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Notepad ALSO would have to have the correct font set. D'oh!

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Sure; software is a hierarchy of artificial constructs. Electronics is physics. You can't fool hardware.

John

LT Spice lets you place a resistor and assign it a value of -10 ohms. Works great.

Try a negative resistor in parallel with an inductor and a cap. You may have to nudge it a bit to get it going.

John

Why would I need to use LTspice? It's a simple enough circuit, after the polarity issue has been addressed, as pointed out by MooseFET.

A real negative resistance would be absorbing energy from its environment - that is, it would run cold. The proposed circuit wouldn't do that.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Cool. Tell us something interesting about VLF.

John

Unless, as has been pointed out here, you simulate it.

Reply to
krw

Uh, stick to software. Electronics and thermodynamics don't seem to work for you.

John

No, Dimmie, I don't admit to "get" you. I'm not AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

It's the difference between saying that Iraq has "Weapons of Mass Destruction" vs "Weapons of Mass Destruction Related Activities", a rhetorical technique that everyone should be familiar with.

--

		Przemek Klosowski, Ph.D.
Reply to

power.

Well, I have several books that address VLF arc transmitters... Moorecroft, Ghirardi, Henney, Drake's. Cool stuff.

Spark gaps have been used in microwave and picosecond pulse applications, too, with some amazing results. The first lidar transmitters were spark gaps.

Most of you guys would rather bitch and guess than get off your butts and actually learn something.

John

Actually, it's not. Feed-forward is generally used to improve line regulation, not load regulation.

Wrong again.

John