a question about resistors in an arc experiment

Scrawny broads shouldn't join nudist groups ;-)

Neeerp! Not enough "active area" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Sure you do (any Spice program). You just don't know how to do it, Scrawny Sylvia ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Get LT Spice. It's free.

John

ts

of

I have considered the case. It depends on whether the negative resistance is greater than infinite or less than zero. Unlike positive resistance, there are two types of negative resistance.

That is not correct for this circuit:

----/\\/\\--- ! ! -+--!-\\ ! ! >-----+ -!+/ ! ! ! +---/\\/\\--- ! \\ / \\ ! GND

This circuit is stable with a high impedance input.

Actually yes it is. It follows exactly Ohms law and has a minus sign in it.

Reply to
MooseFET

I like skinny women. You can have the tubbies.

John

It's not clear to me what it means to say that a resistor has a resistance that is greater than infinite. What is the defined behaviour of such a resistor.

Yes. Which means it's not a correct emulation of a negative resistor, because the latter is not stable with a high impedance source.

It has a characteristic of which Ohms law is a solution, but different stability from a real negative resistor.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

You've just added in a simulation of an infinitely long lasting power supply.

Making a real negative resistor along those lines would involve having a real infinitely long lasting power supply. Last time I checked, they were hard to come by.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Positively excellent retort.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

And to think that you fat, retarded bastards have been calling me a troll.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I would say zero current flow. As in open circuit.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Certainly the current tends towards zero as the resistance tends towards infinity (or minus infinity).

But for a resistance that is "greater than infinite"? Not possible to say without a definition of the term.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Interestingly prissy pants for someone who chooses to live and work in San Francisco.

Reply to
JosephKK

I remember TV, then i found USENET. Infinitely more entertaining.

Reply to
JosephKK

power.

Stress is largely something you do to yourself.

Reply to
JosephKK

--
Have you managed to run my simulation yet?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

slope

--
You\'re looking at the wrong thing.

Look at the voltage into R4 and the current through it.

With a rail-to-rail input and output opamp it\'s much nicer:

Version 4
SHEET 1 880 680
WIRE 384 -16 -96 -16
WIRE 176 48 128 48
WIRE 320 48 256 48
WIRE 192 96 -32 96
WIRE -96 128 -96 -16
WIRE 192 128 192 96
WIRE -32 144 -32 96
WIRE -32 144 -288 144
WIRE 0 144 -32 144
WIRE 128 144 128 48
WIRE 128 144 80 144
WIRE 160 144 128 144
WIRE 320 160 320 48
WIRE 320 160 224 160
WIRE 160 176 128 176
WIRE 192 208 192 192
WIRE 192 208 16 208
WIRE -288 240 -288 144
WIRE 128 256 128 176
WIRE 176 256 128 256
WIRE 320 256 320 160
WIRE 320 256 256 256
WIRE 128 304 128 256
WIRE -96 400 -96 160
WIRE -288 416 -288 320
WIRE 16 416 16 208
WIRE 16 416 -288 416
WIRE 128 416 128 384
WIRE 128 416 16 416
WIRE 128 464 128 416
WIRE -96 512 -96 432
WIRE 384 512 384 -16
WIRE 384 512 -96 512
FLAG 128 464 0
SYMBOL res 112 288 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL res 272 240 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL res 272 32 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 490
SYMBOL voltage -288 224 R0
WINDOW 3 24 104 Invisible 0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR Value PULSE(12 0 0 0 .1)
SYMATTR InstName V3
SYMBOL res 96 128 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 490
SYMBOL Opamps\\\\LT1797 192 96 R0
SYMATTR InstName U1
TEXT -8 440 Left 0 !.tran .02 uic
TEXT -112 416 Left 0 ;> >
TEXT -112 144 Left 0 ;> >

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I haven't tried. I don't see what point you think you're making.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

--
No, I\'ve just made the input signal the opamp\'s power supply as well,
obviating the need for an infinitely long lasting power supply.

After all, if there\'s no signal present of what use is the supply?
Reply to
John Fields

--
You\'ll never know if you don\'t try...

Anyway, What\'s the matter; afraid you might learn something and feel
indebted?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Not as much fun, though ;-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse