A/D converter power consumption vs. sampling frequency

I have been looking at specs for A/D converters trying to find the perfect candidate (8 bits parallel out, 8 MSPS minimum, low power consumption).

It appears that most of the data sheets specify power consumption at the highest-rated conversion frequency. Am I correct in my belief that there is a significant savings in power if the converter is run slower than that?

For example, the Analog Devices AD9280 meets my requirements, but the

95 mW power consumption would make it the hottest component on my board. If I run it at 4 MSPS instead of the rated 32 MSPS, how much power consumption difference should I see?
Reply to
Richard Henry

RTFDS See page 7, Fig 10, in the data sheet. Also see page 12, "Standby Operation".

--
Mark
Reply to

it's not so simple, because it is depending on the adc and should be in the datasheet. at first there is a basic power consumptation and the rest can also be not linear to the sample rate.... in your case there is also a very good datasheet on

ther you can see it (80mW@5MHz and 95mW@30MHz linear)

best regards

Reply to
stern.peter