typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

I was browsing the net for a 50 inch plasma TV and settled with this Panasonic model. Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50VT25-50

the manual says its average power consumption is 135W. Is this the RMS figure?

i am bit confused as when i search the local dealers, the model they have is TH-P50V20, which has the same functionality as the above model, but the rated power consumption was indicated as 500W. Obviously this is much higher than the 135W figure indicated in the other similar model. Could some explain this?

Thanks

Reply to
Manusha

LCD and DLP sets run at a constant power level regardless of picture content. CRT and Plasma power consumption varies with program material. Black screen is minimum and a full white field is maximum power. All other video will be somewhere between these boundaries. Plasmas used to be so power hungry they required cooling fans but have improved a lot. They also have a bad habit of burning the phosphors. They're better but ...

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Not true today. Many LCD have LED background light with local dimming.

Reply to
Ken

Watts RMS is meaningless.

Or it's the standby power. ;-)

My three-year-old 46" Panasonic Viera consumes about 500W, so a new 50" at the same power is quite believable. 135W is not.

Reply to
krw

My older TC-P50V10 consumes 500W peak. I could imagine a newer model drawing only 135W in a dimly lit room.

It should be noted that Panasonic TVs don't interoperate with anything except other Panasonic and Sony devices. The long list of supported multimedia formats on my model is complete bullshit. The SD card is useless and Internet content only works when Panasonic maintains their servers properly.

--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam
Reply to

For a while they were marketing these low power plasmas as PDP technology, which of course made me think of DEC. They seemed to drop the PDP buzzword, but it is true that the new plasma TVs are lower power. You could just buy a $14 Kill-a-watt and measure it for yourself in the store. On some older plasma TVs, I measure about

380W.

You may want to see what the latest story is on the black level creeping up on Panasonic plasma TVs. Don't get me wrong here, I think plasma is the best technology out there for direct view, but there was some issue about a shift in the black level.

Costco has 3D Panasonics. I really don't like the effect. It looks to me like the things out in front are in their own plane. Yeah, it has depth, but it doesn't look 3D. This may be due to source material. The Panasonic 3D demo material certainly is better than Sony or Samsung. Especially the 3D beach volleyball. ;-) But it doesn't look real to me. However, it is a decent TV all by itself, and probably for gaming,

3D would be fun. The Sony scheme is just terrible. The glasses are active and and need batteries.
Reply to
miso

WTF are you doing plugging an SD card into a TV for? That's all BS hype anyhow. Internet content? It's a friggin' TV! It plugs into cable fine (not so fine on Dish but that has nothing to do with Panasonic).

Their service is top-notch. ...and that's worth a *lot* more to me than some silly SD card reader.

Reply to
krw

They probably aren't real. If I were the ad exec, at least I know how I'd play the "game". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Playing from SDHC cards is handy if you have a video camera or want to play digital files without dragging in a computer.

Panasonic's VieraCast fails at least every holiday, including today. Menus are a jumble of broken graphics and the TV locks up. I haven't tried it recently, but it used to let you buy Amazon videos when there was no server capacity to stream them. It would stutter then fail or crash. Amazon customer support does not like Panasonic.

As for the TV argument, if you want "just a TV" then there are cheaper models.

--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam
Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

ing a

.

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Would it kill a reporter to cite the bill, standard, regulation, whatever.

The best I can find from the CEC website are regulations for TVs less that 58 inches.

------------- Active Mode Energy Efficiency Requirements Maximum On Mode Power Usage Effective January 1, 2011: =3D 0.20 x Screen Area (inches2) + 32 (watts) Maximum On Mode Power Usage Effective January 1, 2013: =3D 0.12 x Screen Area (inches2) +25 (watts) Power Factor: Minimum power factor required to be 0.9.

---------------

Going on the border, a 58 inch display has 1437.44 square inches. That means you could have 319.5 watts in 2011. Present day plasmas already beat this spec. The model mentions could meet the 197.5 watt limit of 2013. I just don't see the problem here. Hell, buy a 60 inch plasma and you're covered.

I can only find the proposed spec, not the adopted spec. The CEC website doesn't make this easy. Search on television and you find every mention of television, not the final rules.

Reply to
miso

That's the problem with you kids, no search skills ;-)

There's a formula:

Active mode power < (K * Screen Area (in^2) + Y )watts

where K = 0.20 / Y = 32 from Jan 1, 2011 and K = 0.12 / Y = 25 from Jan 1, 2013

BTW, the link in the above notice is broken. Here is one that works:

See page 170 of 226.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

using a

.

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Which is exactly what I wrote down, only mine is clearer. The use of a slash makes it appear as if you are dividing something. That is the kind of f*ck up that sends your satellite out to space instead of orbit.

Reply to
miso

using a

;-) No such problems so far. I think the worst I could do is make a satellite tumble.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

tts using a

nia.

ing

G1A...

.
.

com

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

You do recall the NASA fubar where people confused the metric and English units.

On a team project, it had both chip designers and programmers. I was on the chip side of course. We are at a staff meeting. Just looking at the handouts, I proclaim at the beginning of the meeting that the software won't work. Needless to say the software guys are baffled, and so is the project leader. How'd I figure that out? Some of the code treated a parameter as floating point, while other code treated it as a signed integer. Perhaps tolerable in the guts of the code, but not tolerable when passing parameters on the stack.

Good engineering requires significant nitpicking. Especially true in chips. If you just get close, you will never finish a project of any significance.

Reply to
miso

No kidding. That should be spelled out in the software design documents.

Unfortunately, even in the aerospace business, there are engineers who can't do a PCB-level design without multiple spins. Drives me up the $#$#$ wall.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

SP > Unfortunately, even in the aerospace business, SP > there are engineers who can't do a PCB-level SP > design without multiple spins. Drives me up SP > the $#$#$ wall.

Because they lack fine tuning?

Reply to
Greegor

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

I thought you board guys prototype via PCBs these days. There are so many parts that are only available in surface mount, blah blah blah. The IC houses use those nasty board grinders for eval boards, and even then there are a few revs on simple products.

Personally, I rather see a board reved than odd jumpers added to the final product.

Reply to
miso

There often doesn't need to be, particularly not on simple products.

Now this is impressive:-

and this is too (in a different way):-

If it needs fly wires to make it work because the designer(s) screwed up, what are the chances that there are more latent problems that have not yet been detected? Pretty good, IMHO.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Most power consumption is rated in RMS, for a plasma TV it depends on what mode you are using it in. For example, if you have a 50" Plasma that has a resolution of 1080p, running this TV at max resolution can draw as much as 700 watts of electricity. This is a lot of power to be used for a TV and for entertainment. Granted you won't be using the max res mode all the tim e but still it's a lot of power being used.

Reply to
skaggs.larry