Re: engineering graduate school question

When I travel for work I make a point of never being a tourist, unless I'm

> dragged into seeing things by people trying to be kind.

I think that's rather sad. I mean, I'm all for working hard and insuring you get your job done for your employer when they've sent you on a business trip at considerable expense and all, but when you genuinely have free time, I can think of nothing sadder than sitting around in a motel room watching TV. What do you spend your time doing?

Life has taught me that working for a living in any activity will suck all > the joy out of it.

This isn't true for everyone; many people are able to true enjoy their careers their entire lives.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

If the only thing that comes to mind as an alternative to being a tourist is to sit in a hotel room watching TV, that is truly sad.

I wonder. It seems few who acquire the financial means to give up their jobs don't.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Underwood

I'm basing that on an experience I had back in... mmm... 1995, where I was on a field install in East St. Louis -- that's all the other guy I was with did after we had spent 10 hours working. That, and occasionally strolling down to the motel bar to get a drink.

That would be an interesting statistic. I'd like to believe it's in the high single-digits (those who have the financial means to quit work but don't), but I really have no idea.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad