90V DC-DC converter IC?

I am hoping to find a DC-DC converter IC/and or simple circuit that can take 90VDC and provide 5VDC @ ~ 20 mA. I note that the LT1339CSW from Linear Tech is a relatively inexpensive surface mount part, however, input voltages are limited to 60VDC. Can anyone suggest an alternative, workaround, or confirm that I am barking up the wrong tree? Thanks.

Reply to
redryderridesagain

That IC requires 12V at (typ) 14mA for the 12V_IN supply.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

A linear drop would burn up 1W (78V * 14mA). I suggest some simple switching circuit to lower the duty cycle.

Reply to
linnix

That's the easy part.

You (OP) may need to look at a dual conversion - 90V to some intermediate value with a discrete solution (doesn't have to have particularly good ripple performance) and then an IC based solution.

The easy part above is to use a high voltage transistor with a zener at the base to provide some Vreg at the emitter. Make sure that Vreg is lower than the output of the supply so that once the supply starts up, the supply output provides chip power, not the transistor.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I did not suggest a linear drop for the intermediate system. A linear drop *during startup* for the final system would burn minimal power. I assume you understand switched powering systems.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Look at Power Integrations Linkswitch-TN series. Aimed at mains, but should be adaptable. Cheap and stocked by Digikey.

If you're feeling adventurous you might want to try adapting this :

Mike Harrison

adaptable.

:

You'll find Power Integrations DPA series very easy to use in either flyback or forward modes:

Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

That kluge has been exposed time and again for being a bad design...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

TI/Unitrode has a UCC3889 for low power offline apps. I'm not sure it's guaranteed to work down to 90V. 90 to 5v is a huge step down ratio. I recommend using a transformer. Look at the LM5020 (National). Runs up to 100V and has some good flyback applications. Unfortunately the conversion ratio makes it difficult to do something simple.

Reply to
Traver

There is no ready made solution other than a DC-DC converter module end product.

Other than that you have a 1:18 step-down ratio and fairly high voltage which will require more engineering than you're used to :

Fred Bloggs

Anyone who brands something 'bad' or 'good' is an idiot.

There is only more or less appropriate for any given situation. All applications are different, and have different requirements.

one man's 'bad' is another's 'the only thing that makes a design financially possible'

Reply to
Mike Harrison

The circuit is trash. I posted an analysis of it a few months back, the feedback is wrong among other things. It's a clueless hack.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Analysis notwithstanding, it works. May not be as 'good' as an LM2574, but you don't always need all the bells & whistles.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

How about adding the modified Larkin oscillator? See

Note the L2 C2 tank at the emitter. L1 L2 are 80% mutual inductors. Don't forget R2 D2 too.

Reply to
linnix

Why not throw away the first 30 volts in a zener, and then use the LTC regulator? The power dissipation would be small.

You could do a switcher with 10 or 12 parts, but it's probably not worth the effort.

John

whistles.

But fred likes bells and weasels.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is also the LM5574 - goes up to 75V so you only need to throw away 15 :). I've used it recently.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

yep! with a bit of effort it can be improved from "appalling shit" to merely "bad".

I built one just for fun. Try starting it into a shorted load. By the time you add enough bits (in USian: components) to fix the glaring defects, you have more than enough bits to build a proper SMPS.

that being said, its a pretty good effort from someone who knows not what they do ;)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

So it isn't suitable for starting with shorted loads.

As I said, there is no such thing as 'bad', just more or less appropriate for any given situation. This circuit is not appropriate for situations where the load may be shorted at startup.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

There's also the LM5009, good for 100V (a bit more on the switch) but whether it can be used without the zener depends on the spec on that "90V" including transients etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany