DC to DC converter

Suppose you have a device (HF transceiver) that requires 11.7V to 15.8V DC to run and you want to run it from lead acid batteries. If you use a

12V (6 cell) battery, a large part of the battery life will be to low of a voltage to run the radio, especially when you take into account the voltage drop in the power wire. A 7 cell battery would be great but I've never seen one and I can't find single cells to make my own pack that aren't gigantic.

So it seems to me the best solution is a DC to DC converter. What I am wondering is would it be easier to step up the voltage of a 12V battery when it drops below say 12V or step down from 24V? Depending on the radio I use, I will need between 20 to 40A peek, average current should be much less though.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com
Reply to
Chris W

" Chris Wanker "

** That voltage range shows it has been DESIGNED to run from a lead-acid battery - while under charge or not.
** Absolute BOLLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

** Use thick enough wire - fool.
** Ridiculous.

** Says it all.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

(balance of tirade snipped)

Even for a slow (> 10 hour) discharge, a lead acid battery's terminal voltage is about 1.75V/cell, or 10.5V for a 6-cell, '12V' battery.

Nominal cell voltages are just that -- nominal. Usually they're the unloaded voltage of the cell after it's discharged for a bit. If you want to extract all the useful energy in a battery, you have to take things much lower than the nominal.

More like they were designed to run off of nominal automotive voltages, with the expectation that you'd have the car running when you were in transmit.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

I'd step up from below, either with a flyback converter or with an isolated output, connected between the battery's positive terminal and your load. Then the converter only needs to supply the difference between the battery output and 12V.

I haven't actually done it, so I dunno the right answer.

You may find that some of your gear works just fine down to the bitter end of your discharge curve, 11.7V rating or no.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

"Tim Wescott" " Chris Wanker "

** Irrelevant garbage.

Standard lead-acid ( ie car ) batteries are NOT designed for deep discharge.

It destroys them very quickly.

An end point of 11.7 volts is a safe one and gets the most LIFE from such batteries.

** Not with standard car batteries you DON'T !!!
** Yep.

Bet the Tx still operates fine at 10.7 volts too.

While destroying the damn battery.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oh gee, Phil, it's so nice that you're willing to talk to all of us even though you're so much smarter than everyone else. You must be a social disaster if you can't find people as smart as you to hang with.

So, where _exactly_ does the OP mention that he's using car batteries in the original post? All I see is "lead acid", with no mention that they're not, indeed, deep discharge.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Deep Cycle or not,It's better not to cycle any lead acid battery below

50% depth of discharge,for best life..The more 'shallow' the discharge,the longer they will last. You can drain them down to 10.8V a few times,but not on a constant basis,they will only take that kind of punishment a couple times before they fail completely.

11.7-15V sounds like the usual '12Volt/automotive use' voltage range.

Reply to
PhattyMo

If you have a good lead acid battery and you keep below C/10 amps, you should be above 11.7 for at least 50% of total capacity. If you are going to draw say C/5 amps then 11.7 will be reached in 30% of total capacity. Here are some curves that will give you what you need to know

PLOSSL

I think the "best solution" is to add a circuit that warns you to shut down - or automatically disconnects the load - when the voltage drops to ~ 11.7. The idea is to protect the battery when that voltage is reached, not to get more out of it. Discharging a lead acid battery too far damages it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

You can get a single cell SLA battery rated 5 A-H for about $10 (Mouser (846-0800-0004), but you would need to rig up a special way to charge it separately from the main battery, and it may not supply enough current. They have 25 A-H for $40.

You could also use two 4V and one 6V pack, but 8 A-H at 14 V will cost $65.

You can also buy a DC-DC converter with 2.5V 10 amp output (Mouser

418-CHB50-12S25) and add its output in series to get a nominal 14.5 VDC, but this will set you back $84. A 15 amp unit is $97.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Hey, Walmart has your meds for $4 now! (or maybe in AU it's Wallaby-Mart)

No more excuses...

But, of course, you will reply with "manly" vulgarity. I made you do it! Ha!

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

It'll be interesting to see the autopsy report on Phil's brain, when the time comes.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

Maybe by then nanosurgical techniques will be advanced enough to detect both neurons.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

It's not that he doesn't have enough neurons. He's a smart guy, but he can't control his temper. He seems to have a form of Newsgroup Tourette syndrome. I would imagine, however, that face-to-face he's a different animal. I'll bet he's a big old cuddly bear that likes being hugged.

I apologize for that last part.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

I agree. He often gives very good advice, and he knows a lot about some things. But he is a "hothead", and it seems like he has spurts of being reasoanable and other times of just attacking anything and anybody, and he often singles out some people he just doesn't like.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Only if it's a bipolar bear.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell