80c186 and transparent latch?

Sort of. The way it is set up gives you the most address setup time. That is, address on the buffered bus is valid long before the falling edge of ALE. Keep in mind, though, that when the original 186 came out, memory was slow. By using an edge triggered latch, you are also changing the address to READ and WR times.

BTW, congratulations for using a 373 and not the stupid Intel part. I would use the HCT, though.

Tam

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

I'm working on a design that uses an 80c186 with external memory and rom.

While diagnosing i realized something that is strange to an analog inclined person like myself. The bus is multiplexed using a transparent latch which makes the the outputs follow the inputs while the LE is high (transparent part) and latched in the falling edge. (old 373 chip). What I didn't expect to see was that the AD signals change while the 80c186 ALE is high and therefore cause glitches on the output of the latch (address bus). The system works because the setup and hold times for the memories are not violeted before the read/reite signals are asserted, but it would seem to add to the EMI produced by the memory bus. This would be solved if the address was only latched on the negative edge without the transparerent part when LE is high.

Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Thanks I knew there had to be a reason.

The word "tranparent" was lost on me and I thought the latch was bad because the output was changing "before" the falling edge Turned out this is correct behavior but lead to this topic as to why this is desirable.

thanks again

Reply to
Mook Johnson