Hilarious!

Just doing some "spring" cleaning in the office.

Ran across some 1995 magazines buried in the closet:

DOS World... was it really that bad?

Stereophile... S/E Power Amp, "Aleph Null", by Pass... barf!

Electronics Now... article by Don Lancaster "spraying" the whole FM band with a square wave jammer ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Those mags were not better 10yrs ago either...

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

For another look at not too long ago electronics.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

That era wasn't too bad, but what I want is the current era as imagined by SF authors in the 50's and 60's. Secret agents with shoe phones, Pan-Am flights to the Hilton on the moon, interstellar navigation via slide rule, etc.

4 years ago I screamed out from my cubicle, "WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE RULED BY A GIANT MONOLITH FROM OUTER SPACE, AND ALL WE'VE GOT IS THE STUPID US CONGRESS!" Everybody ignored me then, too.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Steve, I'm sure I have your card, but my office is currently spread out on the floor of three rooms, due to management edict "Clean it UP" ;-)

So E-mail me (from my website) and I'll send you a copy.

Or I can post it on A.B.S.E

...Jim Thompson

Hey, don't blame me. I voted for the alien.

-- Mike --

Reply to
Mike

Illegal of course, but you could presumably modulate it and talk on it.

Reply to
mc

I know someone who built an FM jammer, probably like that one. He used a 100kHz crystal, modulating the oscillator with a voice signal, then squared it up. It was concealed in a kleenex box on his dashboard. Very handy for communicating with brain-dead drivers in front of him. I'd actually like to see this article if you still have it. Jim - do you still have my biz card from when you were in Burlington?

Steve

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

Imagine if every car had a speakerphone sort of thing that communicated with all other drivers in the vicinity. The impersonality of driving would vanish.

So,

What technology could we use for simultaneous fdx short-range voice exchange?

Would drivers become more polite or would we escalate road-rage murders?

John

I thought all police cars had this feature, practically universally worldwide. In New York they certainly do - and fire engines too. Watching COPS and traveling around the country tells me that this is the rule in the United States.

Reply to
larwe

I would have, but he wasn't on the ballot in California.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Back in my CB days, I issued a police radar warning, and a guy came back with, "What was that you said?", I said, "the Cops are out in force", and he said, "We ARE the Cops".

Oooops !-)

...Jim Thompson

No, the public noise pollution would be unacceptable; it has to be RF. Infrared/line-of-sight has too many problems.

So, how would you go about it? Desirable features would include limited range, adaptive number of participants (say, only the 25 closest cars to avoid confusion), volume somewhat but not too dependant on distance, full party-line comm for all parties.

I suspect most people would be more polite, but a few profane asses would be massively abusive. Just like a newsgroup.

John

Well, that's the challenge, to invent an RF system that mimics the acoustics of, say, a cocktail party.

John

Maybe they'd give themselves handles like "Rubber Duck" and "Pigpen", form mighty convoys, and go rockin' thru the night...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Hey bozo, get off the road" the guy said snarkily into his PA, which was also equipped with microphones on the outside so he could hear what was going on.

I gather in some locals police cars have PA systems for the purpose of talking to drivers.

I do get the impression drivers are too isolated if they've got their windows closed to drive safely.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'Hilarious!', on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:

Just audio; a nice high-efficiency folded horn driven by a 5 W amplifier. Dire penalties for playing music, for obscenity and for fitting souped-up kit (200 W and four 42 inch straight horns). (;-)

I suspect they would become more polite; the inability to communicate with other drivers other than by the horn or impolite gestures is something I think is very undesirable, but I'm quite sure the PA solution will never be allowed.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael Black wrote (in ) about 'Hilarious!', on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:

I think that in UK all non-clandestine police vehicles have PA, but it's not often used. When I was in Beijing in 1990, the police used it a lot.

I entirely agree.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'Hilarious!', on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:

The correct response is 'Thank you, SIR, for your corroborating evidence.'(;-)

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'Hilarious!', on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:

But that's just what limited-power audio through a directional loudspeaker provides! If everyone can talk at once on a common RF channel, no-one will receive anything intelligible.

A standard operating procedure would be necessary, much like ham radio procedure. 'XKY 996 calling BGE 339. Your rear offside door is not properly closed and your little boy is doing his best to fall out.'

John Woodgate