Transparent wire?

I am making my first electric circuit. Now I want to see the electrons in the wires, so I can better understand what happens. I used a magniflying glass, and this is a very good magniflying glass, also I use it for stamps, but I seen nothing. My circuit has the high frequency, so I have leaned the skin effect should make the electrons move on the outside of the wire. But maybe my frequency is not high enough, so I think better to have transparent wire? Where I can buy this transparent wire? My circuit uses the transistor.

Reply to
Ollie B Bimmol

Look harder.:

The electrons are filled up until the Fermi surface (that's the shiny bit of the metal). They move very fast; around the speed of light divided by 137. If you apply mains AC, you can see them wiggle about with speeds of c/137 +/- 5 cm/s.

Transistors are made of semi-conductors which are only half-shiny (the Fermi surface is half-way inside something called the band-gap). You'll need to plug the band-gap with lots of electricity to make it shine. The amount can be determined from the datasheet (power for Tj ~

150 =B0C whereas you need Tj ~ 900 =B0C to make it shine properly).

Hope this helps!

Reply to
C Egernet

Perhaps you should try reposting this on sci.electronics.basics. The troll count is lower there, and they might - conceivably - take you seriously.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Silly, you need an electron microscope to see electrons.

Don't they teach anything in school these days?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Don't feed the troll.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

No, you're really misunderstanding the problem. The reason you cannot see the electrons is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle which essentially states that whenever you try to look at an electron in one place, it will actually be somewhere else.

You can sort of get round this by looking at the somewhere else instead. You will not, of course, actually see an electron there, but you can safely infer from its absence that the electron is where you originally intended to look at it.

That's as near to seeing as you need for civilian work.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Did you try asking Skybuck?

Reply to
mpm

Did you try asking Skybuck?

He definitely knows.... he told me a while ago he had seen some...

Reply to
TTman

Give that man a $.5B "stimulus" loan.

Reply to
krw

Excellent.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That's why a binocular microscope is important: you say you look at them through your left eye, and instead you look with your right eye. And in case those electrons are really clever and guess your trick, show how smart you are and look with both eyes.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

In fact an electron microscope uses electrons to see atoms (if you've got one that offers that much magnification).

Ions have got an even short deBrolgie wavelength

so scanning ion beam microscopes can image even finer detail, but they are much heavier than electrons, so any electron imaged isn't going to stay where you saw it, as Heisenberg pointed out.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Err..do a bit more reading in Physics books. You will never see electrons, at best the effects (zb: Millikan's oil drop experiment).

Reply to
Robert Baer

He does not need Zen..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Works for car keys as well.

Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming
        Never test for an error condition you don't know how to
        handle.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

ROTFLMAO!

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Where is Scotty & his transparent aluminum when you need him?

Michael A. Terrell

Don't know but I always have my transparent tin foil hat on.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Chris