4-bit MCU Availability

I remember some folks who discussed very low cost designs that included 4-bit MCUs. At the time, the 4-bit chips were mostly made by companies in the orient with fully depreciated foundries.

I haven't been able to find anyone selling these devices currently. I think it was always a business that isn't advertised much, since the customers all know the sellers. You have to be building a million of something to make it worthwhile designing with a 4-bit MCU. I seem to recall if you had an existing design, they would even do the software port to the 4-bit chip, since they were all custom CPU designs by the vendor.

Anyone know who is still selling these lowest end MCUs?

Reply to
Ricky

Is this an academic question or do you have a particular function and per-device budget in mind

Reply to
bitrex

If it costs less than a dime and run at 12V, i might be interested.

Reply to
Ed Lee

They tend to be lower voltage 1.2-3v and very low power ~2uA. eg

Designed for high volume near throw away consumer kit.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I know. I need very old semi production machine that can handle 12V. Power is not a problem.

Reply to
Ed Lee

just needs to be powered from 12V or does it need 12V io?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

12V I/O
Reply to
Ed Lee

It's not a CPU but Dialog (now Renesas I guess) makes a SPLC with 12 volt I/O, you might be able to get it down around 10 cent in quantities of 100s of thousands, they're 0.45 from 9-50k:

bitrex

You should look carefully at the actual field requirements. If, for example, you need to add protection networks on the I/Os, you may find you can do that and address the lower i/f levels for no additional cost.

[Unless you're actually interested in interfacing directly to HiNIL or somesuch]
Reply to
Don Y

lørdag den 11. juni 2022 kl. 16.28.48 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:

lcsc has a few difference padauk 8 bitters that used to be $0.03, now maybe double if you a few 100

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Modern MCU designs often require level-shiftings and/or regulators to deal with 12V. I wish there is a simple MCU just run straight with high voltage. Can they build very big (large geometry) chips with modern semi processes?

Reply to
Ed Lee

maybe, but what would be the point? it would be like building a tractor out of carbon fiber and titanium, a waste of money