Looking for this switch (Midas Venice solo switch)

I'm repairing a Midas Venice mixing console. Try and avoid doing so. It's a nightmare

Despite the agent's tech insisting that the 'solo' switches are 'self cleaning', no amount of exercising them will prevent 2 of them behaving intermittently.

They are pcb vertical mount types, i.e. the control surface is a series of large flat double sided boards. From appearance I guessed the switches to be ALPS but the German parts list gives the following reference as best as I can decode it.

SCHALTER-TAST 4XUM 1 switch 4pdt

It's a latching type btw.

Any help sourcing same would be appreciated. I only need 2 but knowing this beast one or two more might pack up !

Thanks, Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I have a bunch of finds, none of which may be relevant, but I pass them on to you. The most interesting is

which depicts a bat-handle Schalter 4XUM.

Have a look at the below link. From what I gather, the actual brand is "Schalter", which is owned by Assmann. "Tast" is German for "test", which I suppose is actually a colloquial expression of a function, I don't know what.

Page down. Besides the DIP switches, there is a type called a "taster."

Also, google for "SCHALTER 4XUM"

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 07:57:12 +0100, Eeyore put finger to keyboard and composed:

I suspect 4xUM means 4PDT, and SCHALTER-TAST means switch-tactile.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:18:55 +1000, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

Tastschalter

n. push button, press button, electric switch that operates via a pressing

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

That sounds very likely indeed.

I'd imagined SCHALTER might be the brand but that puts a new light on it. However browsing the ALPS website which I took to be the best bet, I couldn't find any 4 pole switches of that style. Maybe I'll look again.

Many thanks anyway.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Indeed it is.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Nope, none of those. That's when consoles had 'real' switches instead of using consumer parts ! You'll find those on my first home-made desk.

Those are the small low profile tact(ile) switches. This one is much taller.

No luck with that other than blind alleys.

From Franc's comments I'm thinking again it may be more likely to be an ALPS part that I didn't see in the online catalogue. Midas do make a point of using ALPS parts.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Soundhaspriority schrieb:

Schalter means switch. "Tast" is most probably an abbreviation for "Taster", which is a switch that closes (or opens) the connection only as long as you push it, rather than making the connection until you push it again. What would be the English term for that kind of switch?

The German word for "test" is "test" as well.

Best from Germany ;-) Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos
Reply to

Momentary as opposed to latching.

But this is actually a latching switch. Maybe I selected the wrong part number.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Let me know if you need more German assistance ;-)

Boris

Reply to
Boris Lau

Momentary ?

That is a switch you must hold and will release (off) when you left go.

"

Reply to
Jamie

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:50:03 +0100, Eeyore put finger to keyboard and composed:

After some searching, it appears that the term "4xUM" is often associated with relays.

I now believe that "UM" is an abbreviation for "umschaltung" which translates to "changeover".

See

So 4xUM = 4PCO = 4PDT, ie you have a pushbutton switch with 4 pole changeover contacts. But of course you already knew that from the outset ... :-)

BTW, my favourite switch lubricant/cleaner is Philips 390CCS.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

That makes perfect sense.

I think these 2 are way beyond that.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

All this talk about Assmanns, DIPs and tasters is getting me excited!

Reply to
Igor

After a few carefully considered phone calls and emails, not least to the manufacturer and the sales director of the agent, the switch has mysteriously appeared 'in stock' !

The spares guy made out he'd been ordering some in all along which is funny since he didn't mention that on Friday !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The Ampex ATR700 decks use a switch that might be the same beast. It is a PCB that slides into the pushbutton. I've seen spares for sale on the net for that switch. You might want to search for ampex parts. AMpex mailing list or something like that. bg

Reply to
bg

Nearly forgot !

Thanks everyone for all the positive input.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks but that doesn't sound like it. I'm fairly confident it's an ALPS (or similar) part.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore