Looking for remote wall switch

I'm looking for a switch almost like the one in the URL below.

This one has two problems, It is made for incandescent bulbs only, I need one that will work with CFL's. I also need one that works just like an ordinary wired two way switch. I don't see if this does that or not.

I would prefer to have this style flip switch, but could put up with swmbo until she gets used to a different style.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

You might want to look at X10 modules. X10 has two-way switches.

It's not so much whether a switch system will work with CFLs, but whether CFLs will work with switch systems. Most X10 modules can switch CFLs, and dim some

  • models.

  • Not to be confused with the food.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I may need to look into X10, but right now I need to look at the CFL I have and see if it is dim-able. I can't stand the kitchen light when I get up in the morning, already changed it from a 6000K to a 4700K (4300K?) and it is slightly more tolerable. I just need to shut it off long enough to get my first cup of coffee and light adjust for a bit. Funny, I can fire up my computer and that light has much less effect on me. I did find this system uses piezo devices to produce power. Kinda neat, But is more involved than I think I need to get.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Get an appliance module if you want hard on/off

Reply to
dave

I checked my CFL, it says "Not Dimable" Btw, my bulb is 5000k 1550 to 1686 lumens? found three ratings for the same bulb. ECOT23 or sku384314. May look for new bulb, (again)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Correct. But I don't think X10 makes a three-way appliance module.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I'll have to make this clear... Whether the module will turn a CFL on and off has nothing to do with whether the CFL is dimmable.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Ok, I don't have any interest in dimming. What I see is most of the simple remote switches are for incandescent bulbs or resistive loads.

So, where does this leave me? Also, I was posting two way switch, i just realized what I want is a three way switch system.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Any switch module with two wires is unlikely to work with CFLs. They rely on current thru the load to run the module. When I switched to CFL, I had to rip out the dimmer modules and replace with appliance switch modules.

There were also issues with some loads. Had to remove the module resistor that senses the load. It's the thing that lets you turn the lamp off, then back on for manual switching. Mods available online.

Reply to
mike

How about this? The normal toggle style is available, too.

krw

I need to correct a couple errors I made. I want the new switch and it's remote to work as a *THREE way switch, meaning, I can turn the light on or off from the other switch no matter what position the first is in. Also, I just recalled this this already is a three way circuit, one switch is hidden behind the refrigerator. In all my searches, one thing that never seems to be explained clearly, will the switch work in a three way circuit? I have also seen that some work with fluorescent lights, but CFL's are not listed. Made me realize, ya, there's a difference.

After reading your link, I'm still undecided.

Thanks, Mikek

  • previously I said Two way.
Reply to
amdx

3-ways are always an issue because of the wiring required.

There's a thing for X10 that's called stick a switch. Model is SS13A. It's a switch plate that you just glue anywhere. has three on/off switches and a dimmer switch. You can stick as many as you want anywhere you want. Works with the wireless transceiver module to access three wired X10 modules in the house. I've never used it. I just have HR-12A remotes scattered around the house.

There are similar keyfob transmitters that do the same thing for x10.

And there are many different remote switches that don't use X10. I have a sack of remote systems designed for ceiling fans.

If you're gonna buy a whole new set of stuff, X10 is pretty outdated. Might be better of with a more modern technology.

Reply to
mike

Z-wave 3 way switch

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Same warning, "The device controlled by this Z-Wave switch must not exceed 600 watts (Incandescent); 15 Amps, 1800W (Resistive); or ½ HP (Motor)." I found lots of remote controls (tv type) but not a normal wall mount flip switch. I'm using a CFL, until I change it. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Use appliance module for reactive loads.

Reply to
dave

They sell X-10 at Beast Buy don't they?

Reply to
dave

"amdx"

** That is a lighting industry term that means " standard CFL".

All of which are dimmable, with the right dimmer.

A variac works well as do most trailing edge dimmers - some might need an incandescent lamp in parallel.

Cheap triac ( phase control) dimmers do not dim and must never be used with a CFL.

Even when set to 100%, there are large current pulses that will eventually kill the CFL.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

X10 has 3-way switches (and 4-way - same remote switch). I'm pretty sure the Insteon will do that, too. I'm just starting with Insteon (so far not it's not working as I expected, though).

As long as it doesn't dim, what's the difference?

Reply to
krw

Not here and it's not in their online catalog. Insteon is on their site but no reason to buy from them. I looked for some X-10 stuff a while back and could find no one who carried it anymore (other than online). Seems "home automation" has gone away.

Reply to
krw

X10 has been around 35 years. It's cheap, and it works.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck