WTB Protel 99SE Lecenses

Hi All,

Any idea where I can buy 2 Protel 99SE licenses? Altium only sells DXP

now, however I have contacted them and they inform me that it's

perfectly legitimate to trade 99SE licenses as long as the seller

informs them of the transfer.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
davamb

Google Lomax Design

LOMAX DESIGN ASSOCIATES

PRINTED CIRCUIT DESIGN AND CONSULTING

PROTEL LICENSE RESALES

snipped-for-privacy@lomaxdesign.com

(413) 527-3881, fax (413) 473-4773

Reply to
GMM50

not all Protel 99SE can be sold.. it depends on what year it is.

Hi Simon,

That's useful, as there was no such indication from Altium:

certainly supports the transferring of licenses provided we can get

written evidence of license sale/tranferral from the original owner

on company letter head, signed by an appropriate manger or company

owner.

Thanks GMM50, I'll contact Lomax directly.

Reply to
davamb

not all Protel 99SE can be sold.. it depends on what year it is. so be warned

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

David, Yes, I believe the P99SEs that were under a different EULA were the ones they sold during the transition period where you were essentially buying both P99SE and DXP together. The safe bet is simply to check the EULA regarding transfers/sales and then double check with Altium that the license is available for transfer prior to actually putting the cash on the table.

Abdul Rahman (Lomax Design) has the Protel resale group on Yahoo groups. You will undoubtedly find a lot more tips/suggestions there because Abdul has handled a number of transfers and has written about the process several times.

All that said, you may find it hard to find a seller. I have not heard of many sales or offers for sale over the past several years.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander

"davamb"  wrote in
message news:G-mdnRpW6ulyc2bfRVn_vQ@giganews.com...
> > Simon Peacockwrote:
> not all Protel 99SE can be sold.. it depends on what year it
is.
> > so be warned
> >
> > Simon
>
> Hi Simon,
> That\'s useful, as there was no such indication from Altium:
Reply to
Brad Velander

Actually.. it was a transition period.. but you didn't get the two.. just

99SE. They were changing the EULA and changed it for both at the same time. Both packages were offered for sale at the time as the change over wasn't really started.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Simon, What I was talking about was a promotion they ran where you bought P99SE "for right now" and you also got DXP for your "future migration". It was after the release of DXP and you did get copies of both versions. Since it was after the release of DXP where they had changed the licenses to exclude guaranteed resales, I figure that they had probably also changed the P99SE EULA on those P99SE packages as well.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander

"Simon Peacock"  wrote in message
> Actually.. it was a transition period.. but you didn\'t get the
two.. just
> 99SE.  They were changing the EULA and changed it for both at
the same time.
> Both packages were offered for sale at the time as the change
over wasn\'t
> really started.
>
> Simon
Reply to
Brad Velander

Simon, Was not disagreeing with you but just trying to clarify the details of my reference. I had heard that there were P99SE sold with the updated EULA but have never heard any discussions with anybody that knew the precise details.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander

sell one

by itself,

prevent resale.

Reply to
Brad Velander

yep I agree .. but as they were "upgrade packs" you couldn't sell one without the other anyway. However.. there was also a time when you could buy Protel 99SE by itself, without an automatic upgrade, and the EULA had changed to prevent resale. It was only for a year I believe .. but an important one

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Thanks guys,

I did check out Lomax, but the market's a little dry at the moment it

seems.

Will keep watching the Yahoo group

and see if anything pops up.

Might have to settle for Circuitmaker.

Any feedback on this, or is it a poor substitute for 99SE or DXP?

(Will it import 99SE libraries?)

Reply to
davamb