Protel netlist outputs

My boss wants to proof circuits with component/net netlists in a condensed readable fashion, however Protel 2004 only produces one, as far as I can see, and he doesn't like the format.

Can I generate a different ascii netlist format?

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

Ivan, Will your boss sign off on a schematic? Once the schematic is checked and signed off, output the netlist and read it into the PCB, during the input process generate a report of the netlist input changes, voila you have a discrepancies report. (works well in P99SE, not sure the equivalent report generation of a netlist input exists in DXP).

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander

one, as

Reply to
Brad Velander

Simon, Export 6 or 7 different formats of what? It has to be a change or netlist of some sorts if it will transfer changes and differences to a PCB file from a schematic! If there are no changes carried over from the schematic to the PCB, then the board is electrically correct, a simple enough check.

If Protel format 1.0 means anything the same as it did in P99SE, is that not a netlist format? There were Protel 1 and 2 netlist formats in P99SE.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander

"Simon Peacock"  wrote in message
> Protel 2004 doesn\'t use netlists anymore so its no wonder you
can\'t get one.
> It will of course export 6 or 7 different formats including
VHDL  and Protel
> format 1.0
>
> Simon

Reply to
Brad Velander

Protel 2004 doesn't use netlists anymore so its no wonder you can't get one. It will of course export 6 or 7 different formats including VHDL and Protel format 1.0

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Actually Simon, DXP 2004 has not less than 12 add-on utilities for outputting differing formats of netlists. So now I really don't understand your comments after doing a little checking today. They have 12 different netlist output utilities available on their website for downloading and plugging into DXP 2004.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander

> "Simon Peacock"  wrote in message
> > Protel 2004 doesn\'t use netlists anymore so its no wonder you
> can\'t get one.
> > It will of course export 6 or 7 different formats including
> VHDL  and Protel
> > format 1.0
> >
> > Simon
Reply to
Brad Velander

It was very informative to hear Brad and Simon discuss netlists. I have learned a lot.

Here's a question to put out there:

I remember using PADS Logic/PCB for DOS years ago and I was able to generate not only a net to components netlist, but a component to nets cross reference listing. ie. Q1 - 1 Net A001 Q1 - 2 Net L007 Q1 - 3 Net GND

C7 - 1 Net H090 C7 - 2 Net GND

etc.

Is there a program that can do this out there? I have experimented with all the netlisters available on the Protel website, but non do this.....

Just curious.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

but a default installation for Protel 2004 SP2 will output edif for pcb Multiwire pcad for pcb cupl netlist Protel (1) VHDL file Xspice.

that's 7.. and I only had to use two hands to count them :-) There may be 12 on their web site.. but I don't use Protel add ons unless I have a need

The actual protel 1 and Protel 2 formats (so I added a .0 not a big deal) are obsolete. They haven't been necessary for PCB design since Protel 99SE so it really isn't surprising that they don't exist any more... I myself never noticed they were gone... but it could make it difficult to do a netlist compare... something I've done from time to time to satisfy a customer on rear occasions. I also wont mix and match packages.. so no Protel / Orcad mixes. Neither companies really want you to use the others package so don't make it entirely seamless. On the odd occasions I've had to convert I spend days just checking that everything has come thru seamlessly so I always try to avoid that.

But I have satisfied myself over the years that if the PCB DRC has zero errors, and the Schematic ERC has zero errors then the result is exactly what I suspect. Any warnings are individually approved. I also flag any unconnected pin on the schematic and verify each and every one. I have never had a board that was anything less than what was on the schematic. For this reason I don't usually do a netlist compare and I have full confidence in Protels results. I also flag any potential poor warning message and feed it back to Protel in the hope something useful replaces it. I would also stop using Protel if I lost any confidence in the ERC and DRC. This together with a well designed schematic that is easy to read and easy to understand and hence easy to locate errors makes the system foolproof... but occasionally I've worn the fools hat your comments after doing a little checking today. They have 12

Reply to
Simon Peacock

In article , Ivan writes

Something like this is the schematic analysis output format from Vutrax, and can also be generated from finished artworks along with the more conventional forms of nestlist.

--
Roy Battell.
    To use this address remove the digits included to remove Spam ...

Ok, thanks for the clarification Simon. At first I thought something was drastically different in DXP and I was unaware of it. But they still will do a netlist, or I am betting that when you do update PCB, you can still generate a report of the changes being noted for the PCB. Same as I currently do with P99SE. After reading in the netlist, you are essentially in the Update PCB Synchronizer, with the list of changes on the screen, right click on the list, generate a report of the changes. Some are always non-circuit issues like Fiducials, test points or something else that isn't found in a schematic.

By the way, I cannot recall exactly what it is at the moment but ERC checking has one very big hole that it doesn't check for in Protel. Damn brain isn't working so well this morning but I know there is one check that I would have them add in to make it more complete, in the mean time it is not bad but only about 95% complete. Maybe it has even been added into DXP already, aaahhh I remember, checking for continuity and connection across ports and netnames, also single node nets regardless of pin type and whether you connected a wire and ran it to a port. Check that all the names match and that there is at least one connection across them if they exist. Still not foolproof though because there is no way for it to know there should be X number of connections on a net in total. OrCAD used to do a net or port name connectivity dump, I used to use it to try and find slightly misspelled net or port names because they would usually come up right close together on the report. They also would show a listing of netnames where you had connected dissimilar netnames together intentionally.

However, as far as Ivan's enquiry goes, check the Schematic thoroughly, do the ERCs, update to the PCB, generate a report of the synchronizer updates, have the boss sign off on the schematic, the ERC check, then an update PCB change report and a DRC report. At our shop the designers add notes to either the ERC or the netlist/synchronizer report, indicating what the issues are that generated any message. (i.e. The update report is trying to delete a fiducial. we add a handwritten note stating that "fiducials are not found in the schematic". Or, "Shorting connection added to implement Star Point Ground", etc. )

After all of this our design manager signs off on our designs and keeps the design paperwork including these various checking reports in a file cabinet. For too many years he had designers telling him things were fine and dandy, now he holds this paperwork over your head and if anything is wrong it had better have been something that slipped through the checking without being caught for some reason. Then we adapt our checking and check lists to cover any new found issues. If you touched the board after the checks and cause any problems, he will have you by the short and curlies. He is not a nice guy but so far I managed to stay on his good side, others have not and I see how they are treated by him. I just plain don't want to be there, I don't need that aggravation in my life.

--

> but a default installation for Protel 2004 SP2 will output
>     edif for pcb
>     Multiwire
>     pcad for pcb
>     cupl netlist
>     Protel (1)
>     VHDL file
>     Xspice.
>
> that\'s 7.. and I only had to use two hands to count them :-)
> There may be 12 on their web site.. but I don\'t use Protel add
ons unless I
> have a need
>
> The actual protel 1 and Protel 2 formats (so I added a .0 not a
big deal)
> are obsolete.  They haven\'t been necessary for PCB design since
Protel 99SE
> so it really isn\'t surprising that they don\'t exist any more...
I myself
> never noticed they were gone... but it could make it difficult
to do a
> netlist compare... something
> I\'ve done from time to time to satisfy a customer on rear
occasions.
> I also wont mix and match packages.. so no Protel / Orcad
mixes.  Neither
> companies really want you to use the others package so don\'t
make it
> entirely seamless.   On the odd occasions I\'ve had to convert I
spend days
> just checking that everything has come thru seamlessly so I
always try to
> avoid that.
>

> But I have satisfied myself over the years that if the PCB DRC
has zero
> errors, and the Schematic ERC has zero errors then the result
is exactly
> what I suspect.  Any warnings are individually approved.  I
also flag any
> unconnected pin on the schematic and verify each and every one.
I have
> never had a board that was anything less than what was on the
schematic.
> For this reason I don\'t usually do a netlist compare and I have
full
> confidence in Protels results.  I also flag any potential poor
warning
> message and feed it back to Protel in the hope something useful
replaces it.
> I would also stop using Protel if I lost any confidence in the
ERC and DRC.
> This together with a well designed schematic that is easy to
read and easy
> to understand and hence easy to locate errors makes the system
foolproof...
> but occasionally I\'ve worn the fools hat
>
> And that is why I have I don\'t generate netlists.
>
> Simon
Reply to
Brad Velander

"Brad Velander" wrote in message news:9n0%d.728034$6l.255877@pd7tw2no...

It actually generates a report every time you update the PCB I've attached one picked at random.. they're not very big but would be a pain to have to deal with unless you had an automated program.

The ERC has been improved vastly... but there is an inconsistancy between what I did in protel 99SE and DXP.. port directions don't match the default ERC and inisist on being different to Protel 99SE... I also discovered that some of the default warnings that are on in Protel 99SE don't actually work.. mostly port stuff .. you don't notice it untill you run the same ERC on DXP and get 50 more warnings. So that also means port ERC has been improved too mismatched names, mis matched directions are all correctly flagged now. Single node nets can always be flagged as "unconnected xxxx" in 99SE or DXP. I do that by default all the time. Well if Protel could tell how many connections should be on a net then you and I will be out of a job.. and they wont pay as much as a room of monkeys could do the same job :-) miss spellings will always be a problem.. something you have to train yourself for... you will still see it in the net list on the pannels... If you are like me than you will also notice connections missing on the PCB as you route it too... the advantage on manual route... its like a double check. Maybe Protel needs a spell guesser.. look at net names and flag those that are close.. (thats what typos are afterall)

My Boss hasn't signed off on my work in decades .. a simple peer review is all we have... that and the original designer gets to go over the PCB and check pin names are what he expects. I would like to see a sign off on schematic errors and PCB errors too.. and especially the ability to mask one particular error with an 'x' of a different colour and say "I approve this ERC on this pin" for example saying "pin xxx is unconnected" and have that invert the error status.. so if its unconnected its ok.. if its connected then its an error. Fiducials, labels and logos all have a schematic part in our library.. have done for the last too companies I've worked for. With Protel 99SE I wrote a BOM generator which automatically recoginised 'mechanical' parts and left them out of the BOM. It also added tables, better sorting, support for more than 256 chars in a column, headers, footers, and BOM splitting. Because of that, it will be a while before updating fuilly to DXP.. we rely on the BOM generator too much.

The checking is always the hardest part. I days gone by I've checked the schematic and PCB with a non-technical person so that they asked questions... but that was PCAD proir to automatic schematic/pcb sycnronisation.. it worked but took time. Currently its up to the designer to check the schematics and PCB a highlighter is good here (but don't use it on the minitor.. only the paper copy :-) We also have a 5 page check list... but its hard to transfer a check list from a paper copy to an electronic copy.. I mostly rely on my skill .. In saying that.. I had the first 3 boards I designed last year go into production as Rev A, no mods, no component changes other than the original calabration values. It shocked some people who never expect that. They have had changes since then as new features have been added that were outside the original spec. Not all turn out like that .. I also have a right stinker... the choise of components wasn't so hot.. so it works.. but leaves alot to be desired and only just meets spec (most of the time). It was designed in a rush with components on hand and those we could get in time. I would like to redesign it with better components now I know the short comings but its scedualed for total replacment so unlikly to happen now. Im my filing cabnet I keep a printout of the schematic and PCB to be marked up by highlighter, that way I can add changes to my design as and when nessassary. The actual checked boards.. they are write protected as soon as the checking and fixups and re-checking is finished.. then archived... the only changes are to DCO's and the engineers 'working' copy. those changes have to be approved by everyone before the become part of the next release

In saying that I think a nice addition would be to beable to compare the previous rev, with the current rev, and have protel come up with a list of new components, deleted components, added nets and deleted nets at any point, I think this has been requested as part of a service pack. It is far better than 15 ECO files and far more useful.

Guys like you Boss can be stinkers.. fortunatly the labour market in NZ is tight and good designers are mostly imported .. so hard to come buy.. I get treated with respect and there is a knowledge that sometimes things don't go to plan.. theres also a knowlegde that first rev boards don't go into production (usually)... although I'll have to be careful here.. too many working first time and I'm going to have to do a few bad ones so they don't forget that :-) There are also screwups from time to time... especially if your using new components. Thats to be expected.. sometimes there are lingering cancers too.. but we managed to find the last golden bullet.. took over a year to find tho.. I still have one 'cancer'.. its proving difficult to eradicate I just hope it doesn't grow but for now the customes can't see it as we have a good work around.

Simon

begin 666 P3E_UV_Transponder PCB ECO 2-02-2005 20-30-56.LOG M4F5M;W9E9"!0:6X@1G)O;2!.970Z($YE=$YA;64]3F5T3#A?,B!0:6X]3#@M M,@T*0VAA;F=E($-O;7!O;F5N="!&;V]T

Reply to
Simon Peacock